Another Shoe drops in the North Carolina Fiasco | The Boneyard

Another Shoe drops in the North Carolina Fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
An ex-footballer files a class-action lawsuit claiming he was denied a proper education.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/unc-academic-scandal/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"I lost an education. I lost trust in the school -- someone I thought had my best interest. I definitely lost out on two seasons of football which would have put me in a better situation than I am now," McAdoo told CNN shortly after Wainstein's report was made public…

What this could mean

McAdoo's lawsuit could potentially uncover even more than the damning Wainstein investigation
, which was by far the most thorough and provided a slew of information that had previously been discounted by UNC.

Reaction Score
An ex-footballer files a class-action lawsuit claiming he was denied a proper education.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/unc-academic-scandal/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"I lost an education. I lost trust in the school -- someone I thought had my best interest. I definitely lost out on two seasons of football which would have put me in a better situation than I am now," McAdoo told CNN shortly after Wainstein's report was made public…

What this could mean

McAdoo's lawsuit could potentially uncover even more than the damning Wainstein investigation
, which was by far the most thorough and provided a slew of information that had previously been discounted by UNC.
This isn't going away anytime soon

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Bet Diamond is glad she's out of this mess. Now, she goes to a school where skipping study hall means you don't play. ;)
I think she knew thedeal and didnt wanna be a part of it... post-season bans etc.

Reaction Score
UNC isn't the only school where there is major academic fraud

Reaction Score
I think she knew thedeal and didnt wanna be a part of it... post-season bans etc.

She was following Tia Cooper to UNC. When Cooper de-committed from UNC, she was bummed out and waited for Cooper to commit to UT, then xfer out of UNC and followed her to UT.

Academics had nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
Stand by, there are more schools in the same boat. Unfortunately, UNC got caught and will pay the punishment..........

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree there are a ton of athletes taking easy CLASSES, and probably a number of athletes getting easier grades in CLASSES than non-scholarship athletes, BUT ... I really believe 1500+ athletes taking MULTIPLE non-existent classes with no professor involved is going to prove to be unique in its complete disregard for academic integrity. UNC set up and ran a program for 18 years that was completely divorced from academia.
This will not go away - I am sure there are lawyers lining up to talk to every football and basketball player who was enrolled at UNC during the 18 year run and has not had a successful post college career - all looking to get a piece of the very big settlement pie they see coming.
And I just do not see how either the NCAA or SACS (accrediting agency) can ignore the volume of fraud that was being perpetrated.
I would not be surprised to see federal agencies getting involved either, and any local, state, or national scholarship funding organization that provided assistance to UNC may also want to initiate lawsuits. And students with college debt may also be talking to lawyers.

Reaction Score
Stand by, there are more schools in the same boat. Unfortunately, UNC got caught and will pay the punishment.....

one of the roles of assistant coaches is to make sure student athletes stay eligible, and some write papers for them

Reaction Score
I agree there are a ton of athletes taking easy CLASSES, and probably a number of athletes getting easier grades in CLASSES than non-scholarship athletes, BUT ... I really believe 1500+ athletes taking MULTIPLE non-existent classes with no professor involved is going to prove to be unique in its complete disregard for academic integrity. UNC set up and ran a program for 18 years that was completely divorced from academia.

One thing to add is that are thousand of D1 players who have taken courses where their grade depended on papers - and had a tutor write 100% of the paper

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Stand by, there are more schools in the same boat. Unfortunately, UNC got caught and will pay the punishment.....

I don't see anything "unfortunate" about this. ;)

And, on the serious side, I think the massiveness of the no-show classes and how many sports were involved and how many years it went on and how many high-level people were directly involved, plus the whole Carolina Way self-righteousness, makes this something completely different than the easy classes and help gone too far you might see at other schools. There's a reason why experts are calling the UNC mess the worst scandal ever in college sports.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She was following Tia Cooper to UNC. When Cooper de-committed from UNC, she was bummed out and waited for Cooper to commit to UT, then xfer out of UNC and followed her to UT.

oh... thanks for clearing that up with me. I dont follow the recruiting trail at all, unless its a CT HS kid that I know of

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The paper being written for a student surely happens, but is not a systemic program, nor likely something that any assistant coach performs. Schools are actually pretty careful about that stuff and professors are generally not dumb either.
I was at a wedding last weekend and a relative and his girl friend are both tutors at Syracuse for the football team - they are not even allowed to put a mark on a student's draft and the athlete's academic area where they meet is now set up with bolted down monitors all facing a wall of oneway mirror glass with a monitoring space on the far side. (They said their students were really nice, if less than intellectual giants, and really were trying hard. Sort of a nice review. And having both taught HS kids who they could intimidate, the guy said he now had to figure out a way to get the same effect - he now threatens to start crying if the 6'6 300 pounder doesn't get the work done!)
I am not nieve in thinking that academic fraud is not occurring at every university and that it occurs more often relative to scholarship athletes, but ... the cases that have come to light, and they do come to light with some regularity (often without major publicity) are nothing compared to the numbers and length of time involved at UNC. Most involve a few athletes and one or two misguided tutors/assistant coaches. Others involve a single instance of a test getting out before it was administered and the circulation of a cheat sheet. The other area is plagiarism which involves (mostly) a single person and those are almost never publicized, but are real. (One of things that really shocked me in the email in the UNC case is the administrator and the ethics head discussing the likely plagiarism (self-plagiarism is the same 'crime' as appropriating others work) so blandly.)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
UNC isn't the only school where there is major academic fraud
No, but they are quite arrogant when it comes to their academic and athletic reputation. I am sure this will hurt them in recruiting quality athletes and quality students.

Reaction Score
The paper being written for a student surely happens, but is not a systemic program, nor likely something that any assistant coach performs. Schools are actually pretty careful about that stuff and professors are generally not dumb either.

I disagree 100%. Two of my daughters knew people who became tutors, at high rates of pay, for SEC athletic programs. It became apparent very quickly that their job was less to tutor and more to simply write the papers. Professors aren't dumb - but the athletes are put into courses with professors who practice "don't ask, don't tell" when it comes to the term papers. There are plenty of profs with this attitude at bigtime sports schools. As for the tutors, if they don't write the papers, they are out of a job and a replacement is quickly found. The pay is quite substantial.

Reaction Score
I disagree 100%. Two of my daughters knew people who became tutors, at high rates of pay, for SEC athletic programs. It became apparent very quickly that their job was less to tutor and more to simply write the papers. Professors aren't dumb - but the athletes are put into courses with professors who practice "don't ask, don't tell" when it comes to the term papers. There are plenty of profs with this attitude at bigtime sports schools. As for the tutors, if they don't write the papers, they are out of a job and a replacement is quickly found. The pay is quite substantial.
And now that athletes will be getting paid, they'll have the money to buy the papers on the Internet if the colleges clean up their act.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Trisha Stafford Odom leaving was the catalyst.

Reaction Score
According to academic standards he should have never been admitted into the school. But, he was able to use his athletic ability to get himself into a very good school like most other people do around the country. However, I just don't buy this lawsuit from this guy. If he was so concerned about academics why didn't he stick up for himself when he was in school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom