Another Mediocre Regular Season | The Boneyard

Another Mediocre Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this game signifies the continuation of a trend that's been going on for 6+ years now, and it's a very troubling one for this program.

This loss certainly knocks us out of the running for a top 2 seed, and likely a top 4 seed. Consider the following:

1994-2009 (16 years):
9 regular season conference championships
10 #1 or #2 seeds

2010-2015 (6 years, and not looking good this year):
0 regular season conference championships
0 #1 or #2 seeds

We used to be a perennial Top 10 team, nationally relevant, and feared.

We have not been that for the better part of a decade.

At this point it's fair to ask if we'll ever return to that level of consistency and dominance.

Reaction Score
I mean in all fairness to the program UConn has literally won 2 national championships over the last 6+ years

Those are wonderful, but I'm looking forward. We can't count on getting hot at the right time and winning it all after losing 7-10 games and getting a poor seed (if we make it at all).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's January 5th.

Are we really starting with this whole "the program is dying" horse manure already? Really?

Reaction Score
It's a lot easier to read those posts from posters who - even in the best of times - aren't constantly finding something to complain about. Maybe if the OP ever said anything else besides what he's saying right now I would be more receptive to it, because I don't necessarily disagree. But he doesn't. So it's just incredibly tiresome.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And in this conference, your ceiling can be pretty heavily constrained by January 5th. I wish it wasn't the case, but this may be the new reality.

There are two full months left in the season. I don't know where fates are sealed after the second conference game, but that place is not called "reality".

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There are two full months left in the season. I don't know where fates are sealed after the second conference game, but that place is not called "reality".
If this team has shown you anything this season that is indicative of a team that can win in March, I want what you're on.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Gotta love the ultimate highs and ultimate lows of the BY. There is never any middle ground.

The game sucked, but the sun will rise tomorrow and this team will make the NCAA Tourney....well maybe

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
If this team has shown you anything this season that is indicative of a team that can win in March, I want what you're on.

If they can't pull it together, then so be it. But I'm not ready to give up yet. You can throw in the towel and whine for the rest of the season if it helps you sleep at night.

Reaction Score
It really is a fair thing to consider. Does a fan prefer to win once every 4 years, for example, with a transcendent type player (Kemba, Bazz), knowing that it takes transcendent-like performances at the expense of regular season success, OR does a fan prefer regular season dominance with a NC chance every 8 years or so?

That really is the difference between the first and second time periods the OP is referring to.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If they can't pull it together, then so be it. But I'm not ready to give up yet. You can throw in the towel and whine for the rest of the season if it helps you sleep at night.
I haven't given up. But I'm also a realist - when you don't have answers to your problems teams tend to lose.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this game signifies the continuation of a trend that's been going on for 6+ years now, and it's a very troubling one for this program.

This loss certainly knocks us out of the running for a top 2 seed, and likely a top 4 seed. Consider the following:

1994-2009 (16 years):
9 regular season conference championships
10 #1 or #2 seeds

2010-2015 (6 years, and not looking good this year):
0 regular season conference championships
0 #1 or #2 seeds

We used to be a perennial Top 10 team, nationally relevant, and feared.

We have not been that for the better part of a decade.

At this point it's fair to ask if we'll ever return to that level of consistency and dominance.

Did people think that conference realignment - and UConn not being included in a P5 conference - was only gonna hurt the football program? We are looking at a gradual erosion. We are seeing it in men's hoops and, just as soon as Geno leaves the women, we'll start to see it (gradually at first) with the women's program.

Reaction Score
It really is a fair thing to consider. Does a fan prefer to win once every 4 years, for example, with a transcendent type player (Kemba, Bazz), knowing that it takes transcendent-like performances at the expense of regular season success, OR does a fan prefer regular season dominance with a NC chance every 8 years or so?

That really is the difference between the first and second time periods the OP is referring to.

These are two different questions.

1) Retrospective: would you rather have been:
a) a consistently good regular-season team that performed approximately to seeding in the NCAAT, and won 2 championships in 16 years, but had satisfying non-championship runs in between
or
b) a mediocre regular-season team that got hot twice and won 2 championships in 6 years, but was otherwise difficult to watch

2) Forward-looking: without knowing how championships will turn out, would you rather be:
a) consistently good in the regular season
or
b) mediocre in the regular season

The answer to #1 I could see going either way. My preference is (a), but I grant that (b) is a valid choice.

For #2, there is no debate. My concern is that lately, and into the future, we're looking at a (b) scenario, which is less conducive to winning future championships (and to the overall health of the program).

Reaction Score

a) a consistently good regular-season team that performed approximately to seeding in the NCAAT, and won 2 championships in 16 years, but had satisfying non-championship runs in between
or
b) a mediocre regular-season team that got hot twice and won 2 championships in 6 years, but was otherwise difficult to watch

2) Forward-looking: without knowing how championships will turn out, would you rather be:
or

The answer to #1 I could see going either way. My preference is (a), but I grant that (b) is a valid choice.

For #2, there is no debate. My concern is that lately, and into the future, we're looking at a (b) scenario, which is less conducive to winning future championships (and to the overall health of the program).
Can't disagree. It would be nice to enter, play, and finish a season knowing that we're going to make the dance throughout rather than feeling the effect of random losses at home to teams like Temple.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Can't disagree. It would be nice to enter, play, and finish a season knowing that we're going to make the dance throughout rather than feeling the effect of random losses at home to teams like Temple.
Team like Temple? Do you think Cincy fans are on the ledge after they lost at home to the same Temple team??...we make it like we lost to Tulane at home

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Team like Temple? Do you think Cincy fans are on the ledge after they lost at home to the same Temple team??...we make it like we lost to Tulane at home

People just see "AAC" and think that every team we play is barely DI.

Reaction Score
I mean in all fairness to the program UConn has literally won 2 national championships over the last 6+ years

LOL!! The 2011 Kemba team was stellar. The 2014 team was all heart. Not sure why people would complain about anything other than this year.

Reaction Score

Cincy fans were actually more upset than our board.

Reaction Score

or

or

Oh my god, I'm going to have a heart attack reading this. First off, that team in 2011 was 23-0 outside the regular season. They were fantastic. How anyone could complain about everything that happened is beyond me. Undefeated in the tournies and OOC. Won the BET. Won the NCAA Championship.

99.9% of college fans would take the 2 championships over whatever. Villanova accomplished the whatever. UConn did something much much better.

Reaction Score
Did people think that conference realignment - and UConn not being included in a P5 conference - was only gonna hurt the football program? We are looking at a gradual erosion. We are seeing it in men's hoops and, just as soon as Geno leaves the women, we'll start to see it (gradually at first) with the women's program.

The erosion happens when recruiting classes suffer. UConn has the #4 class in the country. Some erosion happened with the APR probation. Luckily, the stink of the probation was erased with a national championship. Plus, our Hall of Fame coach retired. Other schools tanked. UConn won a national championship.

Come on.

Reaction Score

2011 had a lot of regular season success. Which is why the team was top 10 before the NCA tourney.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Until/if we get into a P5, we won't be able to have that level of dominance. We will likely have some very good, top 10 teams in the future if Ollie continues this excellent recruiting, but we won't invoke that level of "fear" we once had even if we rip through the AAC one year.
Let's get into the tourney, because this year, more than ever, I feel like anybody can beat anybody. You never know, this team could figure it out over the next 2 months and out-play people based on the amount of veterans we have. We have the experience. We have the talent. Anything can happen if we get into the tourney. I still think this team is scary if they gel a little more, change their offensive game plan and play with urgency for 40 min.

Reaction Score
People just see "AAC" and think that every team we play is barely DI.
Is Temple a bad team? No, I dont think so. Coming into tonights game, they were 6-6 with a blowout loss vs UNC and losses vs every other P5 team they played except Minnesota. The problem with the AAC as pointed out by many is the lack of good wins the conference has vs top 25 competition. Its unfortunate that so many opportunities were blown and it reflects the conference RPI. This is how the selection committe will judge the teams from the AAC on selection Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom