OT: Another HS FB Player dies from on field hit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Another HS FB Player dies from on field hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I'm so sick of people comparing football to war. Get some fahkin perspective.

Here's a list of the athletics at West Point....

Schedules

WTF do Golf and Tennis have to do with war?

Our military academies could scrap football tomorrow and we'd still have the most powerful military in the world for several reasons (in no particular oder):

All-Volunteer force
Resources
Technology
Infrastructure
Population

FOH with that nonsense.

I am a former Marine - played football but NOT at high level -
Just about anyone could play football - its the FEW who could go to war.

Before you even get to go to MCT (Marine Combat Training) you go through 13 weeks of blood, sweat, tears and hell among others things, away from family and loved ones, before it is even determined if you are good enough to be called a Marine and learn combat.

Those at the Academies are on the fast track to becoming an Officer (Yes, some officers are in Grunt/Atillery units) and there is nothing wrong with being an officer, but its that pimple faced kid down the street you remember who is most likely on the front line - taking bullets, IED's and such.

I completely understand the concepts of training for war but I must be oblivious to the concepts in relation to football. I dont compare the two but I never played college football.

Sempre Fi - God - Country - Corps

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Usually the relation is a metaphor.

A team/ army must conquer territory or defend; an attack via the ground must shift lines and create holes for forces to penetrate.

Arial assaults can be launched over the lines but if command and control is not defended then the assaults will not sustain.

A good defense against the assault is strength and flexibility. Knocking out the leadership of the assaulting force will drive it back and take its initiative.

The pacifist movements in the U.S. would highlight these type of comparisons to attempt to ban football since it promoted conflict.

That said, in no way is the commitment of our servicement meant to be compared to the time that the players invest in an exhibition of skill. Only at the 50,000 foot level they are similar.

Reaction Score
Usually the relation is a metaphor.

A team/ army must conquer territory or defend; an attack via the ground must shift lines and create holes for forces to penetrate.

Arial assaults can be launched over the lines but if command and control is not defended then the assaults will not sustain.

A good defense against the assault is strength and flexibility. Knocking out the leadership of the assaulting force will drive it back and take its initiative.

The pacifist movements in the U.S. would highlight these type of comparisons to attempt to ban football since it promoted conflict.

That said, in no way is the commitment of our servicement meant to be compared to the time that the players invest in an exhibition of skill. Only at the 50,000 foot level they are similar.

Carl didn't say it was a metaphor. He said football was an integral part of education at the military academies. That's a joke.

Reaction Score
Carl didn't say it was a metaphor. He said football was an integral part of education at the military academies. That's a joke.

Bluedogs was over the top, but I'm not disagreeing with his overall point, that there is a pussification of American society that is ongoing, that hopefully will change. Perhaps my choice of words was wrong. Not everybody that goes to an academy plays football, and football is not in the classroom curriculum next to mechanical engineering. So you are correct, I wrote a dumb thing.

But - if you think that football isn't part of the social fabric, the community - the DNA - to quote our current coach, of the academy education - I don't know what to tell you. Do you know what Sprint football is?

Reaction Score
also: back on topic.

FWIW - the NCAA as an organization itself, was created because the deaths that were happening on football fields. there is nothing new, about young men dying on the football field.

The only thing that's changed, is the society outside the lines.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Romans played football? How about those Germans? Alexander the Great? Ghengis Kahn? Napoleon?
According to Patches O'Houlihan, Genghis Kahn played Dodgeball.
oldpatches.jpg

Reaction Score
https://library.noctrl.edu/archives...l_at_miltary_training_centers_during_wwII.pdf

Football at these institutions was used for a number of reasons as outlined by the creators of the V-5 program.

The program had backing in very high places such as from the Secretary of Navy Frank Knox. Knox believed strongly in the use of football as a training tool for combat. He was one of the biggest advocates of the program and he
was also in the best position to see that the program continued on during the war years. Knox is quoted in the Great Lake’s Bulletin as saying, “[t]his is a war where you kill or get killed! And I don’t know anything that better prepares a man for bodily contact, including war, than the kind of training we get on the football field.”13 As one can see from these strong words, Knox believed deeply in the advantages of using football as a training technique. He goes on to say that “[there is] a definite relationship between the spirit which makes great football players and the spirit that makes great soldiers or sailors.”14

OK? so people that don't think football is respected and treated as a sport that trains men for warfare, perhaps you'd rather the Nazi's won world war 2.

Reaction Score
When we get back to fighting wars the way we did in 1944, let's talk about how important that opinion piece is.

Get help Carl. In one post you admit to writing a dumb thing, in another you imply anyone who doesn't agree with that dumb thing is a Nazi.

You've jumped the shark.

Reaction Score
https://library.noctrl.edu/archives...l_at_miltary_training_centers_during_wwII.pdf

Football at these institutions was used for a number of reasons as outlined by the creators of the V-5 program.

The program had backing in very high places such as from the Secretary of Navy Frank Knox. Knox believed strongly in the use of football as a training tool for combat. He was one of the biggest advocates of the program and he
was also in the best position to see that the program continued on during the war years. Knox is quoted in the Great Lake’s Bulletin as saying, “[t]his is a war where you kill or get killed! And I don’t know anything that better prepares a man for bodily contact, including war, than the kind of training we get on the football field.”13 As one can see from these strong words, Knox believed deeply in the advantages of using football as a training technique. He goes on to say that “[there is] a definite relationship between the spirit which makes great football players and the spirit that makes great soldiers or sailors.”14

OK? so people that don't think football is respected and treated as a sport that trains men for warfare, perhaps you'd rather the Nazi's won world war 2.

The Germans did pretty good for never strapping on the ol' leather helmet, no? I think what you're saying is complete bunk.

Reaction Score
If football was so integral to the education, why do they bother playing any other sport, and why don't they require all cadets to play football or sprint football?

Can it help? Absolutely. So can Chess.

Reaction Score
You know it is a crazy day for me. Anniversary of sorts.

Probably better if I check out. I think it would be interesting for people to read that paper some kid put together at North Central college though. It was the first hit I got. Not a great paper, but it's got the nuts and bolts.

There were people in World War 2 as well, that thought it was bunk that football mattered in training men for combat, but they didn't win the argument, as to whether or not was important, and things like the Sprint football league, still exist today, because people think it matters. The academies don't field just one team for football, they have two teams each.

Have a nice weekend all.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

STOP -

I was trained for war and we didnt play football - not once.

If it wat that respected it would be part of Boot Camp, Basic Training and Combat Training.

Reaction Score
You know it is a crazy day for me. Anniversary of sorts.

Probably better if I check out. I think it would be interesting for people to read that paper some kid put together at North Central college though. It was the first hit I got. Not a great paper, but it's got the nuts and bolts.

There were people in World War 2 as well, that thought it was bunk that football mattered in training men for combat, but they didn't win the argument, as to whether or not was important, and things like the Sprint football league, still exist today, because people think it matters. The academies don't field just one team for football, they have two teams each.

Have a nice weekend all.

so you're saying that our military incorporates football into the training of our service people? ROTC kids have to play football as a mandatory activity in order to become officers? There's a football requirement in basic training? how about in advanced training?

Sprint Football? List of real military movers and shakers there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_football#Notable_players_and_coaches

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Germans did pretty good for never strapping on the ol' leather helmet, no? I think what you're saying is complete bunk.

They were also part of a traditional warring society. Nobody is saying Football is war. That is ludicrous. It is, however, psychological preparation for youth and the metaphors and concepts are obvious.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
3 high school FB deaths this week - is possible that one of the others had pre existing medical condition but had read it would be difficult to tell at this time.

Shame that this is happening at the rate it is. And I saw a CTE study - 93 out 0f 97 former NFL players studied showing signs of CTE. (dont hold me to the numbers but it was HIGH - cant find link right now)

Javon Belcher, Mike Webster, Chris Henry and Junior Seau made it through the game but all showed signs of CTE in their unfortunate deaths.

Weight limits the answer?
Better helmets?
Lineman only in standing positions?

I dont know the answers but these are some of the options out there.

In my opinion "worse" helmets are the answer. People are less likely to to use their head as a battering ram if it's not in a padded cocoon. A padded 'soft' helmet would encourange people to protect their head. Tackling would move away from high speed impacts trying to bounce a guy out of bounds and back to fundemental wrapping a guy up, with your head to the side. Injury would still be possible, especially if you get knocked backwards on to the turf, but I think things would improve overall.

On edit: I see that that this got raised above. I'd like to see a study on it. I suspect that it would help.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Everyone loves to compare Rugby to football, but in many aspects it is a very different. Not an expert on Rugby or concussions, but I suspect many football concussions are the result of vicious hits on defenseless players (QB sacks, receivers hit by the secondary, special teams play, multiple blocks on a player, etc). Some notable differences in rugby:

. There is no blocking
. No forward passing, which takes away sacks, vicious down field hits on receivers or vicious tackles.
. Rugby defense basically forms a line against the offense formation (you dont have defensive players spread all over the field, so I think there are fewer vicious hits at full speed and head on collisions).
. They do not have kickoffs and punts (which is one of the more violent aspects of football).

I agree some concussions are caused by helmet to helmet and certainly not saying that rugby isnt a physical sport. I just think certain aspects of football may make the sport more prone to those injuries.
FYI - I have traveled alot to Europe and many rugby followers think football is much less violent because of helmets and other protective gear.
Rugby has less guys hurtling at each other from opposite directions. For the most part, everyone is moving together.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Romans played football? How about those Germans? Alexander the Great? Ghengis Kahn? Napoleon?
Napolean tried out but he was too small.

CL82

Reaction Score

trophy.psd.jpg

Congrats, you earned it!

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of people comparing football to war. Get some fahkin perspective.

Here's a list of the athletics at West Point....

Schedules

WTF do Golf and Tennis have to do with war?

Our military academies could scrap football tomorrow and we'd still have the most powerful military in the world for several reasons (in no particular oder):

All-Volunteer force
Resources
Technology
Infrastructure
Population

FOH with that nonsense.

"Uconn68," where are you on this subject? I think you are the RVN Veteran who mentioned serving with 1/327 or 2/327 Infantry (101 Abn) in 1969 and 1970. That might have put you in the Northwestern corner of the Ashau in May of '69. If that's the case, was playing/not playing football relevant?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
"Uconn68," where are you on this subject? I think you are the RVN Veteran who mentioned serving with 1/327 or 2/327 Infantry (101 Abn) in 1969 and 1970. That might have put you in the Northwestern corner of the Ashau in May of '69. If that's the case, was playing/not playing football relevant?:rolleyes:

I never said it wasn't relevant. Chess is relevant too.

I said it wasn't integral.

When they make it mandatory at boot camp and combat training, I'll agree with Carl.

This whole argument is stupid, and off topic, and I apologize for my part in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom