ANOTHER Great Game For Tiffany | The Boneyard

ANOTHER Great Game For Tiffany

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
+1 - she was fantastic, best player on the floor.

Reaction Score
+2. Too often unfairly maligned. When her UConn career ends, I would be willing to bet that Tiffany Hayes will have played more games against ranked teams than any player to come through the program. It would be interesting to compare her stats against ranked teams with all the other all time UConn greats.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tiff is the BOMB... and the point guard!

Reaction Score
+2. Too often unfairly maligned. When her UConn career ends, I would be willing to bet that Tiffany Hayes will have played more games against ranked teams than any player to come through the program. It would be interesting to compare her stats against ranked teams with all the other all time UConn greats.
Specifically which UCONN greats?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Just for the heck of it, let's try Jenn Rizzotti and Renee Montgomery. We have several numbers crunchers here who can satisfy our appetites and I am honestly curious about this.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
do we consider Swin Cash great?
Of course we do. But Tiff is a guard so it makes sense to compare her to other guards. After all, I don't think comparing Tiff's 3 point stats to Swin's would tell us anything.

Reaction Score
At long last, Tiff has evolved into the player that we all hoped and expected she could become. Her glaring inconsistency in the past was undeniable, and she was not "unfairly maligned" when that reality was pointed out. We all tend to apply a double standard where the women's game is concerned, as though it is somehow heartless to offer the same cool and unbiased analysis of the distaff players that we routinely apply to the men. That same unvarnished analysis now can justifiably applaud Tiff for the remarkable strides that she's made. In her case, the skills were always present....but she has now brought a maturity to her game, playing infinitely more in control than previously, playing more within herself (mostly) and contributing hugely. If she keeps this up, not trying to carry the team all by herself, she will help us go very deep into the tourney. Congrats to Tiff!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Of course we do. But Tiff is a guard so it makes sense to compare her to other guards. After all, I don't think comparing Tiff's 3 point stats to Swin's would tell us anything.
understandable but I didnt see "guard"... just "greats"

Reaction Score
I'm very happy for Tiffany, she will be missed next year. I would like to see her end her career at UCONN on a high note. We are going to need Tiffany to play like she did yesterday the rest of the year if we are going to have any chance of reaching the final four and possibly winning NC#8.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If she has an iconic game/moment in Denver, that will be how she is remembered. Think Jen Rizzotti blowing past Michelle Marciniak late in the 1995 national championship game. Tiff is certainly capable of something like that, and a big play from her could well be needed for UConn to have a chance to win it all. Certainly, the big play will have to come from somewhere.

Reaction Score

The ones on The Wall for whom stats can be generated. Hopefully, an astute Boneyarder with better access to relevant stats can put together a very nice Jennifer Rizzotti portfolio against ranked teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiff will rank with/close to Maya (behind only KG in games) in terms of games and winning record. She will likely finish 10th in career scoring. She will have hit the floor roughly 1,000 times in 150 games.

Bria was good last night. Whitney Hand was good. But I kept yelling at the TV, "Get the ball to Tiffany." She had a really strong game. She hit outside shots, ran the break with amazing speed, got to the basket in the half court, rebounded, defended, and found open teammates. She really looked like one of the best players in the country. OU had absolutely no answer for her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'll dig into the ranked teams numbers if I can find them, but overall:

Tiff this season is averaging 15.9 PPG, 5.9 rebounds, 3.62 APG with a 1.59 ATO ratio, and 2.27 steals

In 1996, Jen averaged 11.0 PPG, 3.3 rebounds, 5.84 APG with a 1.93 ATO ratio, and 2.95 steals. She also was the Naismith and Wade Trophy winner.

Reaction Score
Overall comparison of Renee Montgomery's First Team All American junior season with Tiffany Hayes' junior season:

Hayesjryr.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll dig into the ranked teams numbers if I can find them, but overall:

Tiff this season is averaging 15.9 PPG, 5.9 rebounds, 3.62 APG with a 1.59 ATO ratio, and 2.27 steals

In 1996, Jen averaged 11.0 PPG, 3.3 rebounds, 5.84 APG with a 1.93 ATO ratio, and 2.95 steals. She also was the Naismith and Wade Trophy winner.
In addition, Tiff is shooting 53% from the floor and 43% from the arc--those are Maya Moore numbers. She's also at 79% from the line. She has made more FTs than the next TWO Huskies combined. Tiff is being very efficient this year. I'd love to see her get her average up to at leaast 16 (from 15.9).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hayes has statistically been a kind of Tiff-of-all-trades for the Huskies and this coming-of-age year could finish as the the 2011-12 team's leader in points, scoring average, free throws, 3-pt FG%, rebounds, steals and be in the top 3 in assists, though currently she leads in just the first four categories. Her top career rankings among the Husky greats will be in the 3pts made, assists, and (if it was kept in the media guide) FTs made. She is on a pace to challenge Shea Ralph's FTs-made- in-a-season record, if UConn gets to the NC.

But though she does a lot of things well, yet she has never led the Huskies in any major season's stat category going into this year, though playing behind Maya Moore explains most of the reasons for that. To a certain extent, she had to wait until Moore was gone to fully emerge, and she will end with a wide-ranging statistical legacy, even if 6th place all-time for the Huskies in 3pt shots will likely be her top career mark. The sum of the stats are far greater than the parts.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Hayes has statistically been a kind of Tiff-of-all-trades for the Huskies and this coming-of-age year could finish as the the 2011-12 team's leader in points, scoring average, free throws, 3-pt FG%, rebounds, steals and be in the top 3 in assists, though currently she leads in just the first four categories. Her top career rankings among the Husky greats will be in the 3pts made, assists, and (if it was kept in the media guide) FTs made. She is on a pace to challenge Shea Ralph's FTs-made- in-a-season record, if UConn gets to the NC.

But though she does a lot of things well, yet she has never led the Huskies in any major season's stat category going into this year, though playing behind Maya Moore explains most of the reasons for that. To a certain extent, she had to wait until Moore was gone to fully emerge, and she will end with a wide-ranging statistical legacy, even if 6th place all-time for the Huskies in 3pt shots will likely be her top career mark. The sum of the stats are far greater than the parts.

Make that when TINA and Maya left.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Make that when TINA and Maya left.

Oh, definitely as far as emerging for the scoring load Tiff has taken on this year, but for most of her top statistics categories, she more resembles a mini-Maya than a shadow of Tina leadin the team in blocks and rebounds. Still, the fact that she is leading the team in defensive rebounds and could be the overall leader in boards at the end of the year is impressive and shows she's really picked up how to judge where the ball is going to carom.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I love this photo of Tiffany. It's from the Georgetown game and when I first saw it I was struck by how grown up she looks. Both Tiff and her game have grown during her 4 years at UConn. I'm very happy for her.

182045880-11170314.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox