Another Fine Year for UConn Women | The Boneyard

Another Fine Year for UConn Women

Reaction Score
Let us all congratulate UConn and Geno for another outstanding year. 12 consecutive Final Fours is nothing to sneeze at.Yes, loosing the final game always hurt, but fine basketball is fine basketball. We must give ND and MM a lot of credit. MM has beaten Uconn at the free-throw line a number of times in the past. I still have nightmares of Skylar Diggins at the ft-line.
In the final game, UC played quite well at times They out scored NB by 23 at one point. They were inconsistent on both offense and defense. But ND played like they had nothing to lose. When a good team plays that way, they can win any particular game.
No Uconn player had her finest game, but no one had a bad game. Danger has not been at her best for some time, but she hit a couple of timely threes, and ran the offense well. Lou shot the ball well, but hurt her game with four fouls. She probably rushed her final shot, but what do you do when you have one second? Pheesa played a fine game. 24 points on 17 shots in a high pressure game deserves accolades. Gabby had a double -double and filled up the stat boxes. Nurse had a weak shooting day, but she did score 10 points and added 6 rebounds. No one would be complaining if UC has won. Stevens played 26 minutes, and anyone looking at the box score would say she should have played 40. We cant fault any of these young women. They played with all their heart and lost. They are our girls. Go Huskies!
Neither can we fault Geno. Those with coaching experience we may expect to do so, and that is fine. But whatever the details of strategy that prevailed through the game, at the end of regulation and at the end of overtime , Geno had the right play called. Those plays missed the mark by tiny margins. Some say Z should have played more. Perhaps, we'll never know for certain. But I find it difficult to fault the strategy that, in a close game held Z out so that she was fresh for the 4th quarter.
UConn was coached well and played well. Many things had to go just right for ND to win, and they did. This is good for Women's Basketball, not that UConn lost, but that the nation got to see a thrilling game. UConn sets the pace. Thanks to Gabby and Kia. We'll miss you. But we';; get #12 next year. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
"I still have nightmares of Skylar Diggins at the ft-line."

Me, too. Suffering from flashbacks...

Reaction Score
Thank you Gabby. Thank you Kia. I look forward to following your careers in the WNBA.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
As I said to the ND fans who gave me a boatload of crap at the end of the semi-final game in 2001, "The difference is we will be back, you won't."

Reaction Score
I do. Like your passion. But I expect ND to be tough in 18 with Turner returning. Lou & Phessa will, however, be more highly motivated than ever. UConn will at least get to the Final Four and perhaps
to #12.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As I said to the ND fans who gave me a boatload of crap at the end of the semi-final game in 2001, "The difference is we will be back, you won't."
hahahaha post game scrolling

Reaction Score
The thing I find most encouraging about this year was the development of Z and Danger. Those two are ready to reach for AA status. I also expect ONO and CW to have considerable impact as freshmen. They are rated 1 and 5, but I think they could easily be 1 and 2. ONO looks like the real thing. I am also one of those who believe MW will make a big leap next year.

Reaction Score
We UConn fans are so lucky. We alone among basketball fans can pout that we got ONLY to the semi-final. Think about it. A Final-Four season feels like an off-year. Wow. The pressure on our girls is tremendous. They're up to the task and will be back. We can bet on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom