Another feel-good article on Aaliyah Edwards from a Canadian site (TSN)--several Kia Nurse quotes. | The Boneyard

Another feel-good article on Aaliyah Edwards from a Canadian site (TSN)--several Kia Nurse quotes.

Reaction Score
Just came across this on my own. It's well written and I'm glad that they talked more about her hometown and experience coming up with the Senior Women's National Team.

I get that a lot of UConn fans are just getting to know her, but to be able to bang in the paint with Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles as a teen, it really speaks to her mindset and focus. I think we see more of this in Europe due to how they develop players. In Canada this is very unique.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I notice one interviewee said Aaliyah gets a ton of offensive fouls. Not true anymore. Not only is she better now that most really promising freshmen, she's shown an ability to learn, change, and develop - quickly. That makes her future here a VERY exciting contemplation! I think she could end up on the wall.

Reaction Score
I notice one interviewee said Aaliyah gets a ton of offensive fouls. Not true anymore. Not only is she better now that most really promising freshmen, she's shown an ability to learn, change, and develop - quickly. That makes her future here a VERY exciting contemplation! I think she could end up on the wall.
That was the Canadian Women's coach. It's more of a joke than anything else because Aaliyah had to adjust to the college game. In reality, she has to ease up in comparison to when she trains with them. It's a tip of the cap to her physicality and maintaining it.

I've seen the Women's National team train in person during an open session they had for fans one summer. Nothing comes easy during a "practice" that's for sure. I swear I felt bruises on my own body when I left.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This great stuff but I am now curious if Croatia or Poland sourced news feeds ever update their readership on the travels and successes of Nika and Anna?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I really like her jump shot's release point. At 6'3" she makes blocking it quite difficult.
1615921104336.png

Reaction Score
This great stuff but I am now curious if Croatia or Poland sourced news feeds ever update their readership on the travels and successes of Nika and Anna?
Good question but in fairness TSN and their Canadian media counterparts are only finally getting onto the women's basketball bandwagon. They did broadcast a fair bit of Kia's games when she was there, but coverage and stories like this were far and few in between.

I think part of the uptick is thanks to Kia because of her involvement at TSN. The impact has been noticeable and it's great to see more fans looking for coverage. Really glad she's investing in the grassroots level of the sport too.

I also think it's because Canada Basketball is making more of an effort to get the word out about the women's program, which has made huge strides especially when compared against the men's program. It's great that there are a lot of NBA players but few of them have represented Canada internationally. Why not focus on the women who have been doing it day in day out, 365 days a year for more than a decade for some of these players?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Good question but in fairness TSN and their Canadian media counterparts are only finally getting onto the women's basketball bandwagon. They did broadcast a fair bit of Kia's games when she was there, but coverage and stories like this were far and few in between.

I think part of the uptick is thanks to Kia because of her involvement at TSN. The impact has been noticeable and it's great to see more fans looking for coverage. Really glad she's investing in the grassroots level of the sport too.

I also think it's because Canada Basketball is making more of an effort to get the word out about the women's program, which has made huge strides especially when compared against the men's program. It's great that there are a lot of NBA players but few of them have represented Canada internationally. Why not focus on the women who have been doing it day in day out, 365 days a year for more than a decade for some of these players?
Maybe you or others can opine but I was thinking I wonder what school near the Canadian border could be scheduled to give Aaliyah a game for her family and friends to attend. I know NCAA Swim teams do go into Toronto or Montreal for the occasional swim meet but not sure about basketball.

Reaction Score
Maybe you or others can opine but I was thinking I wonder what school near the Canadian border could be scheduled to give Aaliyah a game for her family and friends to attend. I know NCAA Swim teams do go into Toronto or Montreal for the occasional swim meet but not sure about basketball.
For Kia’s homecoming game we played Duquesne, who also had a player from the Toronto area, in a Toronto venue. There seem to be more and more Canadian players in D1 - maybe something similar could be worked out. In the US it looks like Syracuse is closest to Aaliya’s hometown of Kingston. You know how that worked out last time....

Reaction Score
For Kia’s homecoming game we played Duquesne, who also had a player from the Toronto area, in a Toronto venue. There seem to be more and more Canadian players in D1 - maybe something similar could be worked out. In the US it looks like Syracuse is closest to Aaliya’s hometown of Kingston. You know how that worked out last time....
Actually this time you probably won't have a problem. Latasha Lattimore and Shayeann Day-Wilson, two of her former teammates, at Crestwood will be at Syracuse next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think European WBB folks are aware of the big US college programs. Not sure how much actual print they get, but I suspect as we can check in on European games they can probably get US college and WNBA games.

Reaction Score

Yes, Kia's homecoming game was played in Toronto at the Ryerson University's Mattamy Centre (used to be Maple Leaf Gardens). The HC of the women's program Carly Clarke was happy to help arrange it for her as she's coached Kia in the past for Team Ontario and Canada Basketball. While it wasn't the size of a UConn game, it was phenomenal as it finally gave aspiring players a chance to see UConn in person. Believe it was even broadcasted on National TV. Lucked out and was able to get tickets. Bumped into Donovan McNabb too which made some family members jealous :D

Iowa State also held Bridget Carelton's homecoming game in her hometown of Chatham ON. Now this was a huge exception as the town doesn't have the same type of facilities, but it was also a full capacity crowd which was great for her to experience. It's also great for the locals who haven't been able to see her play in person.

In Aaliyah's case, Syracuse could be a possibility with former team mates of hers being there. What would be cool although I don't know if it could happen would be if she could play at Queen's University which is in Kingston. They have a great fan base for women's basketball as their women's program has been very competitive. That would definitely be a packed house for sure.

Reaction Score
Yes, Kia's homecoming game was played in Toronto at the Ryerson University's Mattamy Centre (used to be Maple Leaf Gardens). The HC of the women's program Carly Clarke was happy to help arrange it for her as she's coached Kia in the past for Team Ontario and Canada Basketball. While it wasn't the size of a UConn game, it was phenomenal as it finally gave aspiring players a chance to see UConn in person. Believe it was even broadcasted on National TV. Lucked out and was able to get tickets. Bumped into Donovan McNabb too which made some family members jealous :D

Iowa State also held Bridget Carelton's homecoming game in her hometown of Chatham ON. Now this was a huge exception as the town doesn't have the same type of facilities, but it was also a full capacity crowd which was great for her to experience. It's also great for the locals who haven't been able to see her play in person.

In Aaliyah's case, Syracuse could be a possibility with former team mates of hers being there. What would be cool although I don't know if it could happen would be if she could play at Queen's University which is in Kingston. They have a great fan base for women's basketball as their women's program has been very competitive. That would definitely be a packed house for sure.
After what Syracuse did for Stewart in 2016. I would be surprised if that happened!

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
After what Syracuse did for Stewart in 2016. I would be surprised if that happened!
And why would we even ask them after what happened to Stewie?

Reaction Score
Buffalo has a pretty good mid-major program

Reaction Score
And why would we even ask them after what happened to Stewie?
Why do you think I said what I did! You really didn't understand what was meant by what I posted.

Reaction Score
With the fact that UConn and Iowa State have been able to arrange homecomings locally, I'm hopeful that something similar can be arranged for Aaliyah. Toronto is only a couple hours away and would be great for those from the Crestwood school/alumni to attend. It also could serve as another way to help promote the game in Canada.

Kia's event had several events associated with it. Coach Geno was gracious enough to run a session for local coaches to attend. Local girls teams got to meet Kia and some of her team mates in person. I was really appreciative that UConn was willing to go to the extent that they did.

I can't speak to what was done in Chatham for Iowa State, but I'm assuming something similar happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom