Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Medcalf seems to see the potential.

Early look: Sizing up the American

i

• Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer

Who’s the favorite in each major college basketball conference? And which teams are trending in the right (and wrong) directions? Over the next two weeks, we’ll take a look across the nation to see how college hoops’ most notable conferences are shaping up for next season. Today, the American.

When the leftovers from the old Big East tried to salvage their identity with the creation of the American Athletic Conference in 2013, basketball prestige did not top the powerbrokers’ list of priorities. This was a football decision. The "Catholic 7" left the league, kept the Big East name and maintained the basketball intrigue that remained after the divorce.

But with Connecticut positioned as the storefront of the new AAC, and SMU and Memphis acting as a pair of respectable bungalows that would spruce up any redeveloping neighborhood, it seemed as if the AAC had a chance to thrive. Connecticut’s 2014 national title boosted the league’s profile. Since that remarkable run, however, the AAC has produced more drama than results. Only SMU and Cincinnati represented the league in last season’s NCAA tournament.

In January, SMU’s Keith Frazier was ruled ineligible and the NCAA launched an investigation surrounding the program’s potential academic violations. Frazier’s status for next season is still unknown.

Jalen Adams to create one of the country’s most potent lineups. Kevin Ollie has depth, scoring at every slot and a center who finished second in block rate last season.

And let’s have a conversation about a Tulsa squad that won 23 games last season and returns every significant performer, including top scorers James Woodard (14.5 PPG) and Shaquille Harrison (13.1 PPG). Frank Haith’s squad also finished 19th in adjusted defensive efficiency last season. With so many teams in this league in flux, Tulsa is the only squad near the top that hasn’t endured major changes in recent months.

Cincy will be happy to avoid the issues it incurred last season with Mick Cronin sidelined by health issues. Cronin is back and he’s joined by his top six scorers from last season. The Bearcats were, per the norm, one of the nation’s top defensive teams and the only AAC squad that won an NCAA tournament game.

Trending down

The Memphis mess continues. Nichols’ departure was a surprise and a move that ruined some of the potential that the Tigers appeared to have entering next season. There is a bright side. Maybe. The Lawson brothers, Dedric and K.J., will earn a chunk of early playing time. Nick Marshall’s decision to reclassify to his original class and compete next season will give Pastner another talented big man. The addition of Alabama transfer Ricky Tarrant helps too. But the Tigers lost a possible AAC player of the year and another strong contributor in King.

Levan Alston, a four-star guard, could be a young standout for Temple, but Will Cummings (14.8 PPG) was crucial to a program that nearly made the field of 68. How will Fran Dunphy’s squad adjust to life without him?

Notable newcomers (coaches, transfers, freshmen)

Adams, Miller and Gibbs could turn Connecticut into a player again, both in the AAC and nationally -- if Ollie’s squad creates the chemistry it will need to reach its potential. That was the question about Gibbs during a rocky finish at Seton Hall. Is he a team guy or a “me” guy? We’ll find out. But few teams have added more game-changing talent.

Milton and Moore will comprise one of the nation’s top backcourts, and Tolbert should make an immediate impact at SMU.

Dedric Lawson and K.J. Lawson were already dealing with pressure as local prep stars who signed with the hometown team, a squad that also hired their father as an assistant. Perhaps that pressure will increase now that Pastner will seek more from the youngsters. Marshall is a 6-10 recruit whom the program will also lean on. But Tarrant (13.1 PPG), a former Alabama and Tulane guard, is probably the most important addition.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I know its good to get UConn love but I miss the days when there were 7+ teams to write about in a conference pre-season report. Such lack of drama is killing me.

I'd say I didn't think we knew how good we had it, but I think we did appreciate how good the old Big East was.

I'd rather have 4 titles in a s____y conference than have fewer in a better one, but they're not mutually exclusive.

But I'm really not into crying over spilled milk. Let's dominate this stupid conference until we convince someone to get us out of it. There's actually more drama than there needs to be. We should be #1 every season.

Reaction Score
I'd say I didn't think we knew how good we had it, but I think we did appreciate how good the old Big East was.

I'd rather have 4 titles in a s____y conference than have fewer in a better one, but they're not mutually exclusive.

But I'm really not into crying over spilled milk. Let's dominate this stupid conference until we convince someone to get us out of it. There's actually more drama than there needs to be. We should be #1 every season.
Yeah, UConn has finished third and sixth in the AAC; can't complain about the teams you play with if you can't beat them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We knew how good we had it. We just didn't know how bad the bottom of the barrel alternative would be. If that makes sense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tulsa could actually have a pretty good team this year.

Reaction Score
Tulsa could actually have a pretty good team this year.

The first seven (7) rotation players for Tulsa if not mistaken (I could be) will all be seniors. It would be interesting to know when the last time that happened in college hoops?

Am I the only one posting here that thinks Cincinnati is way under the radar nationally? By under the radar I mean a E8/Final4 threat? The knock is they just don't have the shooters ect ect...but with that vet core returning how can they not beat ANYONE? If I am out in left field on this 1 please let me know (It won't be the first time or the last). I am not a huge BearCat fan in general despite conference affiliation but that team could be scary. IMO

Reaction Score
Am I the only one posting here that thinks Cincinnati is way under the radar nationally? By under the radar I mean a E8/Final4 threat? The knock is they just don't have the shooters ect ect...but with that vet core returning how can they not beat ANYONE? If I am out in left field on this 1 please let me know (It won't be the first time or the last). I am not a huge BearCat fan in general despite conference affiliation but that team could be scary. IMO
Mick Cronin isn't an awful coach, but he would need more to get to a Final 4. He has had teams exactly as you describe as long as we can remember: old/experienced and under the radar, can't really shoot, but play good defense, and turn games in to 100-point rock fights and thus can beat almost anyone on a given night.

And yet they have earned but a single Sweet 16 in his 9 years as coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mick Cronin isn't an awful coach, but he would need more to get to a Final 4. He has had teams exactly as you describe as long as we can remember: old/experienced and under the radar, can't really shoot, but play good defense, and turn games in to 100-point rock fights and thus can beat almost anyone on a given night.

And yet they have earned but a single Sweet 16 in his 9 years as coach.

Yea I mean you can't win 6 in a row (or even 4) if every win requires you holing the opposition to under 60 points. In 2014 we were an excellent defensive team, but we did know how to score (and would have scored more if our bigs were capable of rebounding and making outlet passes). In our 1st 3 games in fact, I believe we topped 80 points; the next three our opponents never topped 60 (may not be exactly right buts its close enough that the point remains).

Reaction Score
how is nic moore and a borderline top 100 freshman one of the top backcourts in the nation? There are probably 2 or 3 better backcourts in the AAC alone

Reaction Score
Yea I mean you can't win 6 in a row (or even 4) if every win requires you holing the opposition to under 60 points. In 2014 we were an excellent defensive team, but we did know how to score (and would have scored more if our bigs were capable of rebounding and making outlet passes). In our 1st 3 games in fact, I believe we topped 80 points; the next three our opponents never topped 60 (may not be exactly right buts its close enough that the point remains).
We did have shooters too. Bazz, Niels, Boat and DD could all hit the 3.

Not to mention the historic team effort from the line

Reaction Score
The first seven (7) rotation players for Tulsa if not mistaken (I could be) will all be seniors. It would be interesting to know when the last time that happened in college hoops?

There are a lot of fascinating teams next year and Cincinnati is definitely one of them. You know they are going to have one of the best defenses in the country, and I'll be interested to see if they maintain the match-up zone that they introduced last year - Louisville has tormented us with it for years, and Cincinnati's recruiting strategy to recruit raw, long athletes seems to feed right into a system like that where the defenders are almost interchangeable.

Finding a reliable scorer is obviously a problem, and aside from Caupain, they lack the shooters to provide oxygen to their big men, who are more skilled than most give them credit for. Clark and Ellis are pretty good interior passers, and if they're able to complement them with guys who stretch the floor, suddenly you're looking at an offense that can run pretty efficiently through the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom