Another defensive stinker has UConn contemplating changes (JF @ NHR) | The Boneyard

Another defensive stinker has UConn contemplating changes (JF @ NHR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/10/another-defensive-stinker-has-uconn.html

>>Through seven games last season UConn gave up 11 runs and 24 pass plays of 10 yards or longer. This year those numbers have mushroomed to 41 and 57 respectively. Wait, there is more. After giving up 15 plays of 20 yards or more including two 40-yard plays in the first seven games of the 2012 season, they gave surrendered 38 plays of at least 20 yards and 8 40-yard plays so far this season. With the next game against a Louisville team led by quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, who ranks third nationally in passing efficiency, and the following contest against SMU and Garrett Gilbert, the national leader in total offense, the bye week will obviously be used to try to plug the holes in the leaky UConn defense.>>

>>The last time UConn had a bye week there were changes at head coach and quarterback. It will be interesting to see if new starters emerge on defense when the Huskies host Louisville on Nov. 8.<<

Reaction Score
Going into the bye week the staff needs to give the players a reason to believe they have a chance against Ville. Step 1) Name either Whitmer or Cochran the starter.

Reaction Score
I read this and then thought, sure. We will see what the "changes" are. We heard so much about Jazzmar Clark also. I suspect the lineups will look the same. I feel bad for a kid like Jesse Joseph, coming back from injury and all, but he has been invisible at DE this year.

Reaction Score
I think the options are limited on D. If I was making changes, I would put Frank in for Joseph at end. HaveJoseph Replace Shamar Stephen on obvious passing downs.

Obi needs to sit. Two terrible penalties, blown coverages and missed tackles. Same with Andrew Adams. But-who replaces them? Maybe Wilbert Lee?

Reaction Score
The only way to plug the holes in this ship is to stuff some of the non-performers in them.

Reaction Score
Obi needs to sit. Two terrible penalties, blown coverages and missed tackles.

Obi's out-of-bounds "hit" was horrendous on many levels and got the avalanche rolling. But the worst part was the way TJ/Hank did not react to it or the stupid facemask that came later. I don't care if Obi is Darrell Revis, Ty Law, Tyvon, Darius, Robert McClain, Blidi Dwayne and there's no talented backup --- Obi should have IMMEDIATELY been pulled from the game and read the riot act on the sideline.

That one play summed up the lack of discipline and accountability that began the minute P moved into Edsall's office. Remember all that "he treats us like men" crap? I'll take RE's tough love approach any day.

And another thing -- that might have been the most lame out-of-bounds hit ever. If you're going to do that (and you shouldn't), at least get your money's worth. I don't think anyone on the UCF sideline was intimidated by what was a low-rent punk attempt at intimidation. If anything probably got them more fired up.

Reaction Score
Adams may have struggled tackling due to his shoulder injury and him trying not to reinjure it. It's human nature. I can't see us tackling this bad again this year.

Reaction Score
Adams may have struggled tackling due to his shoulder injury and him trying not to reinjure it. It's human nature. I can't see us tackling this bad again this year.

Hopefully the next 2 weeks of fundamental tackling drills will prove this correct

Reaction Score
I think the options are limited on D. If I was making changes, I would put Frank in for Joseph at end. HaveJoseph Replace Shamar Stephen on obvious passing downs.

Obi needs to sit. Two terrible penalties, blown coverages and missed tackles. Same with Andrew Adams. But-who replaces them? Maybe Wilbert Lee?

We sit Obi for two bad penalties? He's been consistent on D for us. How about sitting Ty? in a few games WR and TE's has been catching balls on him all game. He also gets dragged and bulldozed every time he goes for a tackle. Ty is a vet, but that doesn't mean anything if your not producing on the field... the kid is having a bad year. I like what Obi is doing on D besides those 2 terrible penalties. Obi has 2 int, Ty has none, I say put in Adams and Obi at safety. I agree with you on the Frank and Joseph switch to see if we can generate more of a pass rush on D.

Reaction Score
Obi's out-of-bounds "hit" was horrendous on many levels and got the avalanche rolling. But the worst part was the way TJ/Hank did not react to it or the stupid facemask that came later. I don't care if Obi is Darrell Revis, Ty Law, Tyvon, Darius, Robert McClain, Blidi Dwayne and there's no talented backup --- Obi should have IMMEDIATELY been pulled from the game and read the riot act on the sideline.

That one play summed up the lack of discipline and accountability that began the minute P moved into Edsall's office. Remember all that "he treats us like men" crap? I'll take RE's tough love approach any day.

And another thing -- that might have been the most lame out-of-bounds hit ever. If you're going to do that (and you shouldn't), at least get your money's worth. I don't think anyone on the UCF sideline was intimidated by what was a low-rent punk attempt at intimidation. If anything probably got them more fired up.

I agree ruskin, but lets remember he's just a Freshmen and stupid mistakes are going to happen it happens to a lot of schools with young players, but if he's a vet then I agree you pull him out cause he should know better.

Reaction Score

I thought I was seeing Ty having tackling problems all year, Adams been fine since he came back, but I'm going to watch the game again tonight

Reaction Score
lets remember he's just a Freshmen and stupid mistakes are going to happen it happens to a lot of schools with young players.

Agreed, to a point. . . .not saying bench him for the rest of the game but at least a couple of plays and let him have it in front of whole team ("You just gave them 15 yards! etc etc) Missed opportunity for a teachable moment on TJ/Hank's part.

Reaction Score
Agreed, to a point. . . .not saying bench him for the rest of the game but at least a couple of plays and let him have it in front of whole team ("You just gave them 15 yards! etc etc) Missed opportunity for a teachable moment on TJ/Hank's part.

I agree 100% just can't wait for the new hiring and most likely both are out.

Reaction Score
We look slow and we can't tackle. It was ugly out there. On top of it, we missed the qb on a few blitzes we called. I am not sure what the coaches can do but we need some speed there or players that just play 100% with discipline.

Reaction Score
O'Leary took a player out seconds after a pass interference call and blew his eardrums out on the sideline. I think the commentators called it "a teaching moment".

Other posters are right......there should be consequences for doing stupid things. There is no excuse for some of the penalties.....especially at this level of play.....and with 2-3-4-5 BCS years under your belt.

You're not a HS freshman anymore.

Let him think about it for a series or so.......regardless of team consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom