Another Dang Knee Injury (Non-UConn) | The Boneyard

Another Dang Knee Injury (Non-UConn)

Reaction Score
I just saw on ESPN Bianca Cuevas-Moore is officially out for the season because of her knee.

And yesterday Duke lost Mikayla Boykin.

I know guys' basketball has knee injuries too, but it feels like every other day a girls' player injures/blows out their knee. Stupid anatomy and physiology.

It would certainly be a lot more fun if they could all just stay healthy and play basketball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear this. Cuevas-Moore has been missed for South Carolina. Hopefully she can redshirt and restart her senior year next year.

Reaction Score
it's becoming a major issue at all levels of play, my daughter's high school team has two players out with ACL tears and my kid will be at the Hospital for Special Surgery to be scoped on Tuesday AM to see what's causing her knee pain........really takes the fun out of the sport...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it's becoming a major issue at all levels of play, my daughter's high school team has two players out with ACL tears and my kid will be at the Hospital for Special Surgery to be scoped on Tuesday AM to see what's causing her knee pain...really takes the fun out of the sport......
@Charliebball good luck on Tuesday for you and her.

Reaction Score
it's becoming a major issue at all levels of play, my daughter's high school team has two players out with ACL tears and my kid will be at the Hospital for Special Surgery to be scoped on Tuesday AM to see what's causing her knee pain...really takes the fun out of the sport......

Hopefully not anything serious for your kid. Unfortunately this became a major issue at many levels of play about 30 years ago. The Santa Monica ACL Project, backed by the US Soccer Federation and others, started a major research project back in 1999 - when it had already become very apparent that this was a major problem. They had some success in reducing female ACL injuries - but unfortunately not nearly enough. Many other studies have followed. Definitely takes the fun out of the sport.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Charliebball, I’ll be rooting for your daughter Tuesday.

Since ACL tears necessarily involve lateral flexing of the knee, I wonder if braces might be required equipment in the future. Remember that football players said that helmets were too constraining 80 years ago, and face masks 60 years ago.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It is way too common; Lindsey Spann is out with a sprained knee, though certainly not as serious as Bianca's injury. Bianca is our secret defensive weapon against Morgan William. It will be tough to win at MSU without her.

Reaction Score
It is way too common; Lindsey Spann is out with a sprained knee, though certainly not as serious as Bianca's injury. Bianca is our secret defensive weapon against Morgan William. It will be tough to win at MSU without her.

William has not been the offensive weapon she was in the NCAA tourney, but she can go off if she needs to. I think Harris will do a pretty respectable job on her. She had 6 steals tonight and leads the SEC in that catagory but she's a very underrated defender. The key to beating MSU is to face guard Vivians(ala Kaela Davis) and limit McCowans post touches. Those are two things I think SC can do but it'll be tough.

Reaction Score

Since ACL tears necessarily involve lateral flexing of the knee, I wonder if braces might be required equipment in the future. Remember that football players said that helmets were too constraining 80 years ago, and face masks 60 years ago.

Braces help protect from certain contact injuries. However most female ACL injuries are non-contact - and the orthopedists I have talked to say that a brace really won't prevent those.

Reaction Score

thanks for your good wishes...........after speaking with numerous orthopedic types, it's been explained to me that the female knee has some specific design weaknesses not found in the male knee thus the higher injury rate for female athletes............strengthening the muscles around the knee can help a bit but ultimately it just takes one false step

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With Cuevas-Moore out for the year and Spann nursing an injury, that places an even greater responsibility on Wilson to carry much of the load this season. If anyone is up to that task, Wilson would be that individual. It will be interesting to see what happens once the SEC conference schedule starts up with battles against TN & MS St.

Reaction Score
My daughter played high school softball and travel softball for four years. She didn't have any "serious" injuries, but dealt with almost chronic knee pain to some degree or other for the entire time. Part of it was the poor condition of the outfields she played on (the infields were pristine, the outfields not so much) and part of it was just wear and tear. Had physical therapy to build up the muscles around the joint which helped somewhat, but it was always there. Still bothers her even though she hasn't played competitively for over two years.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I thought Cuevas-Moore was supposed to come back this season(?). Did this injury happen a while ago and they just found out she won't make it back this year? Or is this a new injury?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought Cuevas-Moore was supposed to come back this season(?). Did this injury happen a while ago and they just found out she won't make it back this year? Or is this a new injury?
Sounds like the original injury did not heal properlly.
"Cuevas-Moore had not appeared in a game this season. She recently had a setback in her recovery from a knee injury."
South Carolina's Cuevas-Moore out for season

Reaction Score

She was practicing recently prepared to comeback but got hurt again.

Reaction Score
I feel like the Injury bug has hit hard within the first few weeks. Big name teams without players already.
Notre Dame, South Carolina, Baylor, Duke just to name a few. We are only about 10 games into the season, this will be a long season for some teams.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

She hurt it pre-season and apparently she re-injured herself last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom