OT: - Another curious decision on college football | The Boneyard

OT: Another curious decision on college football

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In yet another curious decision, the AAC, UConn’s former conference, has moved all other fall sports to the spring semester, with the exception of football. The AAC is one of 6 FBS conferences still clinging to the hope of playing college football this fall.

What is difficult to rationalize about the AAC’s decision is simply that every other fall sport is safer from an infection standpoint than college football. I’m sure that the new TV deal with ESPN, that pays $83 million per year to the AAC, has nothing to do with the decision by the conference to scrap everything but football.....:rolleyes:

If D1 college football players could ever get organized in any reasonable way, they would discover that they have enormous bargaining power to force Universities to fork over some of the millions generated from their efforts towards player compensation.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with your premise that it will be the most difficult to keep players safe.

I thought the decision to hold the playoff without the B1G and PAC12 was even more bizarre.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Isn't just about everything?
Almost everything. Both the PAC-12 & BIG decided not to play this season out of an abundance of caution relative to the safety of the players. That will cost them millions in revenue. Although the cynic in me could suggest that those conferences were just more concerned with avoiding lawsuits.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really any facade that the NCAA or the various P5 conferences and the individual schools had erected in their defense of the amateur status of college football is crumbling around their feet in the age of covid. Schools closing doors except for their student football athletes is as blatant as it can get.

And now 8 Nebraska football players are suing the conference to get football reinstated.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree with your premise that it will be the most difficult to keep players safe.

I thought the decision to hold the playoff without the B1G and PAC12 was even more bizarre.

Well to be honest... the Pac 12 wouldn't be involved in the playoffs even if they had decided to play football this season. Ohio State on the other had was a legit title favorite along with Clemson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom