Annus Horribilis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • Paige injured and out indefinitely, possibly rest of the year
  • Aubrey out for the season
  • Azzi and Nika with extended absences
  • Aaliyah so far not showing the progression many had hoped for
  • Hated rivals at Tenn and ND having much success with lots of optimism for future years
  • MM picking a fight with Geno, but her absurd comments getting traction with some (ditto CP)
  • Oh yeah, and all this while we continue to live thru a miserable global pandemic

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
But we’re all still kicking and the world’s still turning.

Prioritize.
Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

Reaction Score
  • Hated rivals at Tenn and ND having much success with lots of optimism for future years
  • MM picking a fight with Geno, but her absurd comments getting traction with some (ditto CP)
  • Oh yeah, and all this while we continue to live thru a miserable global pandemic

Sorry, but I like UConn's prospects for the next three years a lot more than I like ND's and UT's.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO we have every other team in WBB right where we want them now. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I like UConn's prospects for the next three years a lot more than I like ND's and UT's.
If I'm handicapping National Championship odds, yes. There are a lot of posters who don't want UT or ND to have any success, I don't think it is a bad thing for them to have success.

As a Rutgers fan at the time, I generally rooted for Tennessee when Pat was the coach (the "clockgate" incident dimmed that). Not since. Never rooted for Notre Dame except in individual games, and that rarely. I don't mind them having success, as long as my Arizona Wildcats don't get smacked around by them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Where did you get the info in your first bullet? Geno is expecting her back in February or am I missing something?

Reaction Score
Yeah the way Geno was talking about paige in the interview today it sounds like he's expecting her back this season

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking of Geno...

Alexa noted:

"Auriemma’s despondency didn’t seem to trickle down to his players. Westbrook, the de facto team mom, said players are trying to be there for each other and stay together, while also not letting the disruptions of the pandemic weigh on them too much."

First time that I can remember for that description of his state of mind.
Doesn't that worry anybody?

Reaction Score
Speaking of Geno...

Alexa noted:

"Auriemma’s despondency didn’t seem to trickle down to his players. Westbrook, the de facto team mom, said players are trying to be there for each other and stay together, while also not letting the disruptions of the pandemic weigh on them too much."

It sounded like his answer to the question of what joy he still finds in coaching was basically there is no joy

Reaction Score
Where did you get the info in your first bullet? Geno is expecting her back in February or am I missing something?
What “info”?
I said “POSSIBLY rest of the year.” Hardly a definitive or controversial statement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And here I thought you were trying to do the Latin version of the bad ass awards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Speaking of Geno...

Alexa noted:

This seemingly endless pandemic is beating the hell out of everyone. Last year after cancellations and postponements shut down a good portion of the early part of the season, Geno was similarly down during virtual press conferences. This year, in addition to not playing for an unprecedented 21 days, Geno is facing injuries, Covid infections, practices where he can’t even go 5 on 5, etc. I would be down too.

Also last year, Geno got out of his funk because the team picked him up, lead by their precocious freshman pg, they made yet another FF run. It’s going to be a heavy lift this year, but I continue to hope that a healthy Paige Bueckers will lead a resurrected UConn team to another championship run this season.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Vowelguy, engaging in Schadenfreude is unbecoming...but, based on the miserable existence that most Tennessee fans have had to live with the past few years...it is understandable how the misfortune of others, especially UConn would be a real turn-on for you...Enjoy it while you can...we know that help is on the way.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy, engaging in Schadenfreude is unbecoming...but, based on the miserable existence that most Tennessee fans have had to live with the past few years...it is understandable how the misfortune of others, especially UConn would be a real turn-on for you...Enjoy it while you can...we know that help is on the way.

It’s not schaudenfreude, it’s a legit lament at how awful this year is.
I’m not surprised you gave no idea what you’re talking about. Weren’t you the one who said we’d be raining 3s?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
And if we had Paige and Azzi stretching out the defenses with Caroline Ducharme hitting threes the way she has and Evina, Williams and Muhl pitching in with a couple of their own...we would indeed be raining threes but my commentary about us raining threes is the opposite of schadenfreude as I am extolling what could have been the plethora of riches from three point land instead of gloating about the misfortune of our opponents.

If you don't think the following is an example of you engaging in schadenfreude then we need to redefine the term.

Furthermore, my post was intended as a good natured ribbing of a respected former rival....please don't make this into a cyber war not my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom