Annual Summer True/False & why? | The Boneyard

Annual Summer True/False & why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
True or False & explain your answers.

1. UConn finishes top 3 in the American regular season standings?

2. UConn either wins Player of the year or Rookie of the year honors
in conference?

3. The second leading scorer on the team for average is Terry Larrier?

4. The top rebounder on the team for RPG will be Cobb?

5. Our team 3pt fg% is going to be worse than last year?

6. Polley averages more points per game than Carlton by seasons end?

7. Vital will challenge the school 3 pt record?

8. Jalen's play propels himself into most NBA draft boards?

9. UConn plays in the finals of the PK tourney?

10. A Gilbert will come off the bench as conference play begins?

11. Kwintin throws down a 360 dunk during a game this season?

12. The American sends 4 teams to the tourney this year?

Reaction Score
True - Don't see UCF being as much of a threat for the 3 spot as most do. That leaves Wichita and Cinci ahead of us.

in conference?
True - I think Alterique will win rookie. Optimistically, Jalen could win POY

True - I believe Jalen will really step up to the plate. Also, an ACL injury is a tough thing to come off and Terry may start a little slow.

False - Don't think Cobb has the ups. Really hope he proves us wrong, but we've recently had guards and wings be our better rebounders by the numbers (DHam, Shabazz, Larrier in limited minutes last year). Believe it'll be Larrier or Diarra.

False - We were 146th in the nation last year shooting the three. Our only defection that'll hurt that percentage will be Jackson, but he shot 39% while the team average was 35% so it shouldn't hurt too bad. Believe Vital should improve some, Jalen will continue to improve, Alterique will contribute, Anderson shot 41% and 46% each of the last two years, and Polley should be a decent three point force. The Larrier for Jackson sub may pull the percentage down, but not below what it was.

True - Polley is being slept on a little bit. An athletic slasher with a decent shot at a position of need if he slides over to SF (which he should). He may end up seeing more minutes than Carlton due to bigs being by committee and us having such a log jam there. Ollie and Carlton himself hinted at his skills being raw and needing to develop at the college level, but I love what I have watched from him and believe he'll be a contributor in a big way down the line.

False - I think this is meant by the season 3 point record. Doubt he'll come close next year. He made 52 last year, but was playing 28.5 mpg. Bet his mpg numbers go down next year with Alterique and Antwoine in the mix.

True - Kid is ready for a breakout season.

False - This will still be very early in the season, and running through both Oregon and the Preseason #1 in Michigan State might be a little too much for a new, meshing team. Let's hope they prove this wrong.

False - So long as Gilbert comes back healthy, he is insanely talented. Would be a nice complement to Adams, and could split his minutes with CV while still starting. Doubt we play small with three guards, but seeing Adams and Gilbert as a Bazz and Boat type deal.

True - Only saying this because I really hope he does. At the same time Ollie seems like the type that would be less than pleased with this, but this team needs some excitement. Not really sure how many minutes Kwintin will see, however, considering he is still raw. If he is seeing more garbage time than anything, makes this even less likely due to showboating and all that. Would like to see the kid get some burn though.

False - The committee continually refuses to respect this conference. I'll go with 3 tourney bids: Wichita, Cinci and the Good Guys.

Reaction Score

True

2. UConn either wins Player of the year or Rookie of the year honors in conference?

False

True

False

False

Idk

False

True

False.

True

False

False

Reaction Score
True. There's more talent on the roster than people than believe and my sense is that there will be less screwing around with this group than there has been in the past.

in conference?
True. Either Adams will win POY or Gilbert/Diarra will win ROY. Adams will have some stiff competition with Shamet, Fall, Milton, Clark, etc.

True. I'm expecting a DeAndre Daniels 2012-13 type season.

False. I'm not convinced he's going to be in good enough shape to play more than 15-20 minutes per night.

False. Without looking up where we were last year, Adams, Gilbert, and Larrier should all be decent. Vital could be great.

False. I honestly have no idea on this one but my gut says Polley doesn't see much PT.

False. You mean next year or for his career? I could see him flirting with the career mark if he stays four years.

True. I'm surprised he isn't getting more buzz right now. I don't know what he measurables are but he passes the eye test.

True. Complete gut call, but I expect this team to hit the hardwood with a lot to prove. Oregon lost nearly their entire team and Michigan State is always erratic in November.

False. I think Ollie is done with the screwing around. He's putting his best players on the court to start the game.

True. That's what he's here for.

True. I could even see more. Strong year for the conference.

Reaction Score
False
We've been middle of the pack at best, and this may be one of our weakest rosters in the KO era. WSU is another hurdle in addition to Cincy and SMU.

2. UConn either wins Player of the year or Rookie of the year honors in conference?
True
I expect Jalen Adams to have a strong individual year, regardless of how the team does. Alternatively, Gilbert may be in the running for FOY.

True
Adams is far and away #1. Larrier will narrowly edge out Gilbert and Vital for #2 at around 11 ppg.

False
He won't get enough minutes in a "center by committee" situation. Larrier will lead the team with 5-6 RPG.

True
Purvis and Jackson had their limitations, but they could shoot. Vital should be solid, but Adams is inconsistent, Larrier was awful at VCU, and Gilbert we have no idea at this level.

True
Polley may get most of the backup minutes at the 3/4, and Carlton won't score much. Let's say 4 ppg for Polley and 2 ppg for Carlton.

False
He's a good shooter, but he's not the primary focus of our offense.

True
He'll have to overcome a lack of buzz about the team, but his play will speak for itself. He'll declare for the draft and get picked in the second round.

False
KO's teams have rarely taken advantage of the big early-season tournament. Hopefully this season bucks the trend and we get an injection of buzz and hype to start the year, like in 2010-11, but I just don't see it.

False
He's the 3rd best, maybe 2nd best player on the team. You can't keep a guy like that on the bench regardless of what you think a traditional lineup may look like.

False
He'll be fun to watch in practice, but I wouldn't expect much in the games. For a spectacular play like this, we'd have to be blowing out some cupccake, another occurrence that has been hard to come by in the KO era.

False
Despite the added horsepower with WSU, the Committee finds a way to send only 3 teams. WSU, Cincy, and either the AACT winner (if not either of the above) or the #3 regular season team.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Some really good analysis. Hope the positive stuff is all correct!

Reaction Score
Hi Gem,

I love your annual T/F UConn Hoops Questions. It is fun reading all the knowledgeable posters give their analysis. Thank you for keeping this amazing tradition alive.

Stay healthy and look forward the next years!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
T
F
T
F
F
F
F
T
F
F
T
T

I forgot the why? part of my answer.

Why? Because.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  1. True. I like our roster alot more than most. I think we undersetimate how much 1 or 2/great players can will you to wins in college basketball and i love our big 4 of Adams, larrier, Gilbert, and vital. They will be arguably the best\most talented core 4 in in the conference. I predict us finishing 2nd or 3rd.
  2. True. I think Jalen Adams has one of those yrs. I'm not expecting him to be kemba. But I think his season will go down in UConn lore. He's special
  3. False. I think rique reminds the doubters why he was a MCAA. He can put the ball in the bucket. Larrier will battle with CV for 3rd leading scorer
  4. False. Like a couple have already said idk if he be in good enough condition to lead the team in rebounding. My guess is diarra with Kwintin Williams as a real dark horse.
  5. True. We didn't really replace the shooting of purvis and VJ. Our strength should be defense and getting out in transition. If JA improves jump shot and rique isnt too rusty shooting the ball after a long layoff then we could be better. But I wouldn't bet on it
  6. True. I don't think carlton's value will come by points his first yr. If fr josh Carlton can play that Phil Nolan role of just being in the right spots and staying solid I'll be pleased. Polley is a sleeper imo. He can do alot of things. He'll be a valuable piece by conference play
  7. IDK. Whats the schools 3pt record? I do believe he can at least become more so efficient than he was last yr which should result in more makes.
  8. True. I believe Jalen vaults himself into the top half of the 1st round ala donavan mitchell

Reaction Score
9. False. My heart says yes but my mind says no. I do think we leave there with at least 2 wins tho
10. False. Rique is special.
11. True. We can all hope!!
12. True. WSU, CINCY, UCONN, SMU\UCF

GemParty

Reaction Score
Hi Gem,

I love your annual T/F UConn Hoops Questions. It is fun reading all the knowledgeable posters give their analysis. Thank you for keeping this amazing tradition alive.

Stay healthy and look forward the next years!

Thank you. The last several years, around August all these questions start keeping me up at night. It's fun to see them play out on the court.

Plus you get to read all the optimists, pessimists, fact finders, & delusional comments. There are some great writers & fans in this community.

Reaction Score

True, I think it's UConn, WSU, and Cincy at the top.

in conference?

True. I think Jalen has a great year but I think Shamet wins POY. However, as long as he is eligible I think Rique runs away with ROY

False. I have him at #3, behind Jalen (~15ppg) and Rique (13ppg). Guessing 11-12 for Terry and 10-11 for Vital.

False. Don't sleep on Mamadou. The dude will be a rebounding/put back machine at the college level. You can't teach his nose for the ball.

False. 3pt shooting is an underrated part of Riques game (shot over 50% in high school I believe). Think the team will improve percentage wise

True. I think Carlton needs more work on the scoring front than Polley

False. Not this year but maybe in the future.

I think he'd go as a second rounder if he left after this year. It's very hard to get drafted in the first as a junior. I could see him going in the 30's - 40's and getting s guaranteed multi year deal after summer league.

True. Why not.

False. I think we go small all year.

True. He'll get a breakaway vs some crappy out of conference team.

True. I think the AAC gets 5 actually. UConn, WSU, Cincy, UCF, SMU. I'll say 3 seed for Wichita 5 for Cincy 6 for UConn 9 for UCF 11 for SMU (play in game)

Reaction Score
Thank you. The last several years, around August all these questions start keeping me up at night. It's fun to see them play out on the court.

Plus you get to read all the optimists, pessimists, fact finders, & delusional comments. There are some great writers & fans in this community.
Basically I will have gone through every relevant roster in college hoops within the next several weeks (ok stop the laughter!) Nationally the big question now is if Marvin Bagley III reclassifies to 2017.

I agree with you as it relates to all these thought provoking questions generously provided to the BY. That is what makes your annual T/F UConn Hoops thread so unique and exciting. It is the first official sign that the season is within sight!

Reaction Score

Like others I believe people are sleeping on this team. Obviously we are unsure of the 4/5 spot but our depth will make up for any lack of experience. While no shot blockers show prominence on the roster if we can find solid defenders who can hold their own and then turn and box out, get rebounds we will be better in those spots. The guard play and depth will drive some teams nuts. Having a fresh Jalen playing just 30-32 minutes instead of 40 is much bigger than we can imagine.

in conference?

POY will be a dogfight and Jalen will be a player in that race. ROY, doubt we have that one stud but we are due for a surprise to pop up and AG if considered a rookie may be a player in this race also. Surprise guy in the running - Kwintin.

If Terry stays healthy he will average about 13 pts a game from the wing, but Jalen will be around 15-16. The overall scoring will have 5 players in the 9-16 a game which will be nice.

It will between he and Diarra although Terry may sneak in there especially if we play a lot time in a smaller lineup. Dark horse who we need to see more from is Kwintin, if he has the nose for the ball it would seem he can get us 7-8 a game and win this team title.

Vital improved dramatically and Jalen can make it at a decent rate, also a slow starter last year. AG worked hard on his 3 ball and Terry can make a few. Close to last years, real close.

Polley is interesting and his mid range game looks real nice. If he gets stronger, shows he can defend and rebound a little he could see more minutes than Josh. Josh will more than likely be in the mix for minutes at the 5, up to him how many he plays but defending the low post and rebounding the basketball will be the key. Prediction is Polley's mid range game as well as being the only other real 3 will get him enough minutes to average a couple more points.

Think he plays less minutes so probably not, but I'm not sure which record you are speaking to, % for a year or most 3 pointers. He can make a run, we will see but probably not.

Big year for Jalen, believe he will play off the ball a lot too and will score a lot off of penetrate and kicks from his backcourt mates, mostly AG. He will enter the draft as a mid to late 1st rounder.

NO, chemistry will take a while although they will not lose to anyone they should beat this upcoming year. Win 2

He will be in the starting backcourt. Already proved in 2 games some of things he can do which others can't. Very important piece and will get minutes but will not come of the bench.

Oh yes he will, and the crowd will love this kid. My hope is he's a smart basketball player, listens and learns and is able guard people in the post because of his length and athleticism, betting 15-20 minutes a game. But h e will get a breakaway or 2, or a garbage time crowd pleaser.

Nope - 3 Us, Shockers and Bearcats. Maybe SMU but think they have a rough year in comparison to lately. I think just 3.

Reaction Score

True - But barely.

in conference?

Alterique will win Rookie of the year.

True - Hes gonna show out this year. He's trying to get drafted and will put up great numbers for us.

I think Larrier will be top rebounder. Bigs will be used to box out for the guards.

False

True - i think hes gonna be very solid for his freshmen year.

Hoping for it but don't think he makes it.

True - he will play well enough to be on draft boards however not sure if he would be a first round pick.

False - Too early for this team. They'll need time to gel

False - Hes too good to come off the bench.

True - he throws 2 of them down.

False. They hate the American.

Reaction Score

True -- more of an indictment of the conference than an achievement for us.

in conference?

False -- maybe Gilbert is ROY, but POY will go to someone on one of the top two teams.

True.

False. I'm not sure he can stay on the floor enough.

True -- I think we're taking a step back in this area.

Tough call, only because we have no idea what we're getting in Polley. I'm going to say probably false.

False -- he's a good shooter, but not someone who can shake a defender loose with the ball. He's reliant on other people getting it to him.

True -- we go as far as Jalen is able to carry us this year.

False -- too many good teams, too many question marks for us.

False. Barring injury, he starts.

It may be in garbage time, but it still counts. I go with True.

False. 3 bid league maximum.

[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score

True

in conference?
True
True
False- Larrier will lead the team in rebounds
False. I believe it will be a very good shooting team
Adams
True 4-3
False he a good 3 pointer shooter but
True
True
True if I have my way
False
F I'm predicting 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA