Annual Pledge Letter from Warde | The Boneyard

Annual Pledge Letter from Warde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just received my annual athletics financial pledge letter from Warde. This years editions is 6 paragraphs long but Manuel mentions conference realignment in half of them. He mentions schools leaving for "greener financial pastures" but that none have enjoyed the conference and national championship success that Uconn has. He says that conference affiliation does not ensure success (our continued support does). He does says that conference affiliation is the most popular topic among donors he speaks to.

The first part of the letter talks about athletic and academic achievements of the student athletes but the bulk of it has to do with conference realignment in some way. That shows that he is definitely hearing it from the fans and knows how much it is on everyone's mind. Reading between the lines I think he feels the vibe that we (the fans) are getting more and more concerned as time goes on. I am interested to hear what other donors think about the letter and its contents.

Reaction Score
He wants cash now, not once we get into a bigger conference. In order to get it, he needs to beg.

Reaction Score
In the meantime, I am still awaiting my season ticket package in the mail with less than three weeks until the deadline.
This athletic dept hasn't skipped a beat with Warde.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In the meantime, I am still awaiting my season ticket package in the mail with less than three weeks until the deadline.
This athletic dept hasn't skipped a beat with Warde.
????????????????

What exactly are you expecting them to mail you?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I had meant to post the letter and forgot. Not sure if this will be legible or not... Here goes.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
But someone heard from someone that something should happen sometime. Don't waste your money.

Reaction Score
But someone heard from someone that something should happen sometime. Don't waste your money.
Just curious. How many season tickets do you buy and for what sports?

Reaction Score
Just curious. How many season tickets do you buy and for what sports?
Have had football for years, had hockey last year, go to at least 5 hoops a year not including whole AAC tourney this past year. Additionally I have an enchanted squirrel who feeds me CR info.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If any of us has the financial means to support the athletic program and wants to contribute, by all means he or she should. If anyone is limited in their discretionary funds and/or against the idea of contributing (regardless of whether the reason is or is not rational), he or she should not contribute. It is that simple.

Reaction Score
Have had football for years, had hockey last year, go to at least 5 hoops a year not including whole AAC tourney this past year. Additionally I have an enchanted squirrel who feeds me CR info.
Well then you've got a voice. But I wish it was more positive...we're all in this together.

Reaction Score
Well then you've got a voice. But I wish it was more positive...we're all in this together.
I'm saying you don't need to waste money because all our prayers will be answered soon. Doesn't get more positive than that.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Regardless of the other thread... Donating to UConn Athletics and to the Foundation are both very important. To me, anyway. And believe me, I'm only sending the bare minimum, but... Still better to support a little than not. Tickets add up though so I understand. :)

Reaction Score
Your AD must get absolutely bombarded with questions concerning conference realignment. I have never seen an administrator so directly address the issue. I found this line particularly interesting, "I say this respectfully but directly, this is not a time for those who love UCONN to support us only if we get into another conference- the time to demonstrate your support is now more than ever."

Some might read it simply as a throw away line, no more than a plea for fans to support the school regardless of the opponent. However it is not unreasonable to read it as UCONN is being evaluated by outside eyes, and as fans you need to demonstrate that you will show up in force.
All said I found it to be a positive development.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Gee, how about an invoice?
It's been known to sell tickets.
I can't speak for anyone othr than myself (a season ticket holder since they opened the Rent). I received an email on February 20. Renewed online line a few weeks later. If you didn't get the email you can complain by calling 1-877-AT-UCONN (1-877-288-2666) during weekday business hours (I believe 9:00 - 4:30). Once you've finished complaining you can renew. You also can renew through the website (athtickets@uconn.edu.).

Reaction Score
I can't speak for anyone othr than myself (a season ticket holder since they opened the Rent). I received an email on February 20. Renewed online line a few weeks later. If you didn't get the email you can complain by calling 1-877-AT-UCONN (1-877-288-2666) during weekday business hours (I believe 9:00 - 4:30). Once you've finished complaining you can renew. You also can renew through the website (athtickets .).

I, like many others, prefer not to use our credit cards. I have always ignored those emails, get my package in the mail and have had no problems renewing. This year, of all years when they should probably be going door to door, they decide its credit card only and push out check payers? This is what I mean...

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
My apologies. I do remember when they sent invoices but I am not sure when the last time I received one was (I'm guessing ~2009). Give the ticket office a call on Monday. I imagine they would be more than happy to accommodate payments by check instead of credit card.

Reaction Score
Your AD must get absolutely bombarded with questions concerning conference realignment. I have never seen an administrator so directly address the issue. I found this line particularly interesting, "I say this respectfully but directly, this is not a time for those who love UCONN to support us only if we get into another conference- the time to demonstrate your support is now more than ever."

Some might read it simply as a throw away line, no more than a plea for fans to support the school regardless of the opponent. However it is not unreasonable to read it as UCONN is being evaluated by outside eyes, and as fans you need to demonstrate that you will show up in force.
All said I found it to be a positive development.

Pres. Susan Herbst always talks to us in code. The code words are "research" and "flagship".

Reaction Score
I, like many others, prefer not to use our credit cards. I have always ignored those emails, get my package in the mail and have had no problems renewing. This year, of all years when they should probably be going door to door, they decide its credit card only and push out check payers? This is what I mean...

What's a check?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Of course, if you got the above letter, you probably know the answer from another pamphlet... But who would venture a guess as to the total number of UConn Athletics donors? I'll just say I was surprised the number wasn't higher.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
On a semi-tangent - I got an email from the alumni association a few weeks ago about the Ignite fundraiser, which is sort of a UConn-focused kickstarter type of competition between different student and alum organizations. I kind of forgot about it until I saw a tweet right before the deadline last weekend, and I logged in and I have to say I was a bit dismayed at the overall performance. I donated 40 bucks to help a minorities in STEM group get to their goal, but a LOT of groups had very modest goals of a few hundred bucks and were well short. I'll try to remember to post a link next year.

Reaction Score
Of course, if you got the above letter, you probably know the answer from another pamphlet... But who would venture a guess as to the total number of UConn Athletics donors? I'll just say I was surprised the number wasn't higher.

Not sure but I think it was Nostical or FfldCntyFan or...mentioned awhile back that there was a lot of money sitting on the sidelines waiting?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure but I think it was Nostical or FfldCntyFan or...mentioned awhile back that there was a lot of money sitting on the sidelines waiting?
Not sure about that (and of course I can't find the pamphlet with the exact number) but there's a total of between 1400-1500 donors to UConn athletics. Just struck me as low. The amount breakout was as expected - roughly half giving the lowest amounts, relatively few giving the most. I just saw the number of donors and thought... Huh... I'd have guessed a lot higher.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that (and of course I can't find the pamphlet with the exact number) but there's a total of between 1400-1500 donors to UConn athletics. Just struck me as low. The amount breakout was as expected - roughly half giving the lowest amounts, relatively few giving the most. I just saw the number of donors and thought... Huh... I'd have guessed a lot higher.

Not correct Mike, your numbers are off. going by the book UCONN Club :

Total donors: 4,241 that make donations of at least $100 annually as of 1/31/15

Stated goal is to reach 5000.

Hall of Fame : 15
Legend: 24
Champion: 41
All-American: 128
MVP: 176
Golden Husky: 255
Director: 708
Coach: 667
Asst. Coach: 734