Angel Reese Question | The Boneyard

Angel Reese Question

Reaction Score
I have seen Angel Reese listed as a Sophomore on LSU’s roster this season - she played two years at Maryland, so I am confused as to why she is not listed as a Junior. Does anyone have any insight? Is it possibly an institution thing where you must have a certain percentage or number of credits from the University to graduate with your degree? Any information would be appreciated - trying to look at future WNBA draft classes and not sure where to put her.

Reaction Score
She started in 20-21 and played 15 games. This means she's in her third year of eligibility. But she gets a covid year, I think, if she wants it. Here's a link to her ESPN career Stats page.

Reaction Score
She started in 20-21 and played 15 games. This means she's in her third year of eligibility. But she gets a covid year, I think, if she wants it. Here's a link to her ESPN career Stats page.
I agree with the OP...why is she listed as a sophomore? She should be a junior unless it was a mid season thing? Covid year doesn't come into play till after her se ior year. I'm curious also..

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP...why is she listed as a sophomore? She should be a junior unless it was a mid season thing? Covid year doesn't come into play till after her se ior year. I'm curious also..
I don't have an answer, but wonder about that short season in her first year at MD. Could it be that she doesn't have enough credits to treated as a Junior yet at LSU? That's what @Matty722 suggests above. Maybe she will be one by the school's standards once the registrar catches up with her fall semester credits. She broke her foot in her freshman year at MD but played enough games to have it count as a full year of eligibility. If I have that right, it would mean the designation may be internal to LSU and not reflect any judgment by the NCAA about her eligibility.

Reaction Score
Two things. She is definitely a junior. Even though she is eligible for the Covid year, that still shouldn't change her class status. Second, it is no way she stays pass next season. So, the classification is a moot point.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly she was injured in like her 1st game (played only 3 min, came back at the very end of the season, playing in the last 5 and played in all three Big 10 Tournament games and 3 NCAAT game. I think the NCAA only considers regular season games when determining eligibility so maybe due to only 6 games played she was able to redshirt her freshman year due to injury?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think different schools approach the covid year and class listing differently. Oregon St. lists Jelena Mitrovic as a soph, but this is her 4th year on campus. She redshirted her first year, so she should be a RS Jr. But OSU is definitely calling her a soph. She probably won't catch up to Ali Patberg, but she could spend quite a few years in college if she chooses to.

Reaction Score
She is a junior who does have the option to return for a extra year from COVID but she will be headed to the WNBA after next season.

I would ignore her classification you see listed

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, again, let me state again, I thinks she is classified as a sophomore due to the injury she suffered in her first game of the 2020-21 Season From the NCAA Redshirt Injury rulebook
"An athlete can qualify for this exemption if she has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of her team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater."
Angel definitely suffered the incapacitating injury in the first half of the season. She only participated in 1 game in the 1st half. Where it gets murky is the second part "or 20 percent of her teams schedule contests, which ever number is greater" Do they mean 20% of the 1st half scheduled games or 20% of all games? Angel came back on Feb 23, played in the final 5 of the 27 scheduled so that equals 5.4 games. Her 1+5=6 which is greater than 5.4 OR because she was hurt 3 minutes into the game, does that first game not qualify, therefore she was only able to play in 5 games and less than the 20%.

I don't think LSU is saying she's a "sophomore" due to COVID rules as they don't say that for anyone else in their Athletic Department Rosters.

Angel was born May 2, 2002 so she is still only 20 and would not be eligible for the WNBA draft until NEXT Year, of which she would be one of the top few picks, so her class designation is sort of moot, like @SECbbfan24 is saying but for an entirely different reason.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Well, Kateri Poole, and Poa are also listed as sophomores.
don't know idk GIF by EVIEWHY

Reaction Score
Well, Kateri Poole, and Poa are also listed as sophomores.
don't know idk GIF by EVIEWHY't know idk GIF by EVIEWHY
It was mentioned earlier in the season that Poole & Reese are Juniors academically but LSU decided to list them as sophomores based on how many years of eligibility(covid) they have left at LSU. It's confusing to me.

Reaction Score
Ok, again, let me state again, I thinks she is classified as a sophomore due to the injury she suffered in her first game of the 2020-21 Season From the NCAA Redshirt Injury rulebook
"An athlete can qualify for this exemption if she has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of her team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater."
Angel definitely suffered the incapacitating injury in the first half of the season. She only participated in 1 game in the 1st half. Where it gets murky is the second part "or 20 percent of her teams schedule contests, which ever number is greater" Do they mean 20% of the 1st half scheduled games or 20% of all games? Angel came back on Feb 23, played in the final 5 of the 27 scheduled so that equals 5.4 games. Her 1+5=6 which is greater than 5.4 OR because she was hurt 3 minutes into the game, does that first game not qualify, therefore she was only able to play in 5 games and less than the 20%.

I don't think LSU is saying she's a "sophomore" due to COVID rules as they don't say that for anyone else in their Athletic Department Rosters.

Angel was born May 2, 2002 so she is still only 20 and would not be eligible for the WNBA draft until NEXT Year, of which she would be one of the top few picks, so her class designation is sort of moot, like @SECbbfan24 is saying but for an entirely different reason.
Not true because Poole is also listed as a sophomore on the roster.

Reaction Score

This rule applies to injury that occurs early in any particular season. So the injury must come in the opening stages of the season: a player cannot play in the 2nd half of a season after not playing in the 1st half, otherwise it would seem the player had opportunity to play most if not all of the season, and that would rule out the idea that the player lost a season of eligibility.

In college football, it is 30% of a regular season, or four (4) games (a typical regular CFB season is 12 games, so 4 games would be 30% of that). The four games must come in the first half of the season - if a player plays in 3 of the first 4 games that his team played, then gets injured in the 5th game of the season and is unable to play the rest of the season, then he would still be eligible for a medical red-shirt, because he played in no more than 30% of the total schedule, and did not play again after the 1st half of the season's schedule, or in the 7th game or later.

This was supposed to be the same rule for college basketball, with 30% of a 27-game regular season being 8.1 games, or rounded up to 9 games. I guess I did not catch if that has been changed to just 20%, or 5.4 games rounded up to 6 games. But the rule should still be in place as to the first half of the season, meaning that a player must also not play in or after the 14th game of the season, in order to be eligible for the red-shirt.

Reese was injured in Maryland's 4th game of 20-21 against Towson, missed 14 of 29 games, and returned in mid-February against Iowa. It seems like she has broken the NCAA rules at least two ways for earning a medical red-shirt for 20-21.......

Reaction Score
LSU isn't the only school that does this. Unlike LSU, I've seen players listed as redshirt sophomore even though they're actually juniors. My guess it depends on the school and how they want to classify them.

Reaction Score
This rule applies to injury that occurs early in any particular season. So the injury must come in the opening stages of the season: a player cannot play in the 2nd half of a season after not playing in the 1st half, otherwise it would seem the player had opportunity to play most if not all of the season, and that would rule out the idea that the player lost a season of eligibility.

In college football, it is 30% of a regular season, or four (4) games (a typical regular CFB season is 12 games, so 4 games would be 30% of that). The four games must come in the first half of the season - if a player plays in 3 of the first 4 games that his team played, then gets injured in the 5th game of the season and is unable to play the rest of the season, then he would still be eligible for a medical red-shirt, because he played in no more than 30% of the total schedule, and did not play again after the 1st half of the season's schedule, or in the 7th game or later.

This was supposed to be the same rule for college basketball, with 30% of a 27-game regular season being 8.1 games, or rounded up to 9 games. I guess I did not catch if that has been changed to just 20%, or 5.4 games rounded up to 6 games. But the rule should still be in place as to the first half of the season, meaning that a player must also not play in or after the 14th game of the season, in order to be eligible for the red-shirt.

Reese was injured in Maryland's 4th game of 20-21 against Towson, missed 14 of 29 games, and returned in mid-February against Iowa. It seems like she has broken the NCAA rules at least two ways for earning a medical red-shirt for 20-21.......

There's nothing in her Maryland bio that references her having a redshirt for medical reasons. Teams typically have that stated for reference. She's also listed as a sophomore for the 2021-2022 season. If she has redshirted, would she not have been listed as a freshman?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just a reminder as this is discussed that 2020-2021 is the season that doesn't count for Covid. This she will qualify for, regardless - I doubt she will stay, however.

Reaction Score
There's nothing in her Maryland bio that references her having a redshirt for medical reasons. Teams typically have that stated for reference. She's also listed as a sophomore for the 2021-2022 season. If she has redshirted, would she not have been listed as a freshman?

If I understand this - and I am referring more to CFB since they make use of red-shirts all the time, and CBB rarely does - but each student-athlete gets 5 years to play 4. The 5th year is for a typical red-shirt, which may also be called an academic red-shirt. These are used for the student-athlete to either take a year off of playing to get more established with their academic work, or also to develop themselves physically and mature physically for collegiate level sports. It usually has little to do with injury/illness.

With medical red-shirts, they do not apply for those until the end of their regular 4-year playing eligibility expires, and are at that time given an extra year of playing eligibility, because it is determined that such an injury/illness essentially stole them of a year of playing eligibility. With CFB, I've known of many instances where a CFB player and his team applied for a medical waiver from the NCAA for an extra year of playing eligibility, that's reported at the end of their regular playing career. There is no official thing as a "medical red-shirt" - it's just a red-shirt due to medical reasons that the player's team gives him/her. The time for the NCAA to become involved is at the end of the student-athlete's regular playing eligibility, where they review the circumstances and make a decision.

In the case of the former, more typical red-shirt, programs will call student-athletes "red-shirt freshman, red-shirt sophomore, etc." because AT THAT TIME it's official and understood that they have red-shirted. They usually do NOT do that for medical red-shirts, because even though the circumstances look like a cinch-pipe lock to get an extra red-shirt year, it's still not official from the NCAA.

So in the case of a student-athlete transferring from the school where she suffered the injury/illness, to another school where she's now a student-athlete at, it's a bit confusing. Also, with the covid pandemic work-arounds where players have gotten immediate eligibility to play, etc. muddies the water even more. But again, Reese's experience while at MD doesn't look like it fits in with the NCAA requirements for such a medical red-shirt, and would most likely be rejected by the NCAA if any school applied for it for Angel. She played an entire half of a season her freshman year, and was available for MD towards the end of that season when they were contending for conference and national championships, and to give her an extra full year of eligibility for that would seem unfair....

Reaction Score
If I understand this - and I am referring more to CFB since they make use of red-shirts all the time, and CBB rarely does - but each student-athlete gets 5 years to play 4. The 5th year is for a typical red-shirt, which may also be called an academic red-shirt. These are used for the student-athlete to either take a year off of playing to get more established with their academic work, or also to develop themselves physically and mature physically for collegiate level sports. It usually has little to do with injury/illness.

With medical red-shirts, they do not apply for those until the end of their regular 4-year playing eligibility expires, and are at that time given an extra year of playing eligibility, because it is determined that such an injury/illness essentially stole them of a year of playing eligibility. With CFB, I've known of many instances where a CFB player and his team applied for a medical waiver from the NCAA for an extra year of playing eligibility, that's reported at the end of their regular playing career. There is no official thing as a "medical red-shirt" - it's just a red-shirt due to medical reasons that the player's team gives him/her. The time for the NCAA to become involved is at the end of the student-athlete's regular playing eligibility, where they review the circumstances and make a decision.

In the case of the former, more typical red-shirt, programs will call student-athletes "red-shirt freshman, red-shirt sophomore, etc." because AT THAT TIME it's official and understood that they have red-shirted. They usually do NOT do that for medical red-shirts, because even though the circumstances look like a cinch-pipe lock to get an extra red-shirt year, it's still not official from the NCAA.

So in the case of a student-athlete transferring from the school where she suffered the injury/illness, to another school where she's now a student-athlete at, it's a bit confusing. Also, with the covid pandemic work-arounds where players have gotten immediate eligibility to play, etc. muddies the water even more. But again, Reese's experience while at MD doesn't look like it fits in with the NCAA requirements for such a medical red-shirt, and would most likely be rejected by the NCAA if any school applied for it for Angel. She played an entire half of a season her freshman year, and was available for MD towards the end of that season when they were contending for conference and national championships, and to give her an extra full year of eligibility for that would seem unfair....

And that's why I asked the question because outside of the fact she's entitled to the COVID year, I've seen nothing about Maryland applying for medical redshirt after her freshman season. The fact it's being implied it has been used in her seems incorrect to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom