Angel Reese Maryland Fractures Foot - Out 12 Weeks. | The Boneyard

Angel Reese Maryland Fractures Foot - Out 12 Weeks.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Angel was the #2 Ranked Recruit this year and some thought she should have been the #1 overall recruit.

The former St. Frances star and Baltimore native started all four games this season, earning Co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors. The No. 2 overall freshman recruit, Reese averaged 13.3 points and seven rebounds per game.

Reaction Score
That's a tough way to start a promising career. Hopefully she fully recovers. Maryland didn't have the deepest roster to start with.

Reaction Score
12 weeks brings us to March. Is Reese eligible for a medical redshirt?

Maryland has talent, but without her, they’ll be in trouble.

Reaction Score

Angel was the #2 Ranked Recruit this year and some thought she should have been the #1 overall recruit.

The former St. Frances star and Baltimore native started all four games this season, earning Co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors. The No. 2 overall freshman recruit, Reese averaged 13.3 points and seven rebounds per game.

Some, perhaps, thought she should have been #1. But not many.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO unless Maryland thinks with Angel they can win the National Championship this year, I would use a Medical Redshirt Year. Yes, she might turn pro after three years but who knows she might be enjoying college and be wiling to stay. Also what will her projected draft status be. If she's not in the Top 3 it might be worth her while to stay in College.

She is eligible for a redshirt. However it makes no sense for her to redshirt since she will not be at Maryland beyond 4 years. If she is talented enough, she'll be in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
She is eligible for a redshirt. However it makes no sense for her to redshirt since she will not be at Maryland beyond 4 years. If she is talented enough, she'll be in the WNBA.

That’s a good point. Assuming she even remotely improves over her time in college ball, it’s hard to see how she won’t be a WNBA talent with her current skill and physical tools.

This is obviously poor news for Maryland this season, though. Aside from maybe Owusu, I think Reese is the player you’d least want to lose. Height and athleticism will be at a premium now—I wonder if Miller will play inside a bit moving forward.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Wait, what? WHO, EXACTLY thought Reese should be the #1 recruit???? NO WHERE I have ever seen that discussed and as I was living in Baltimore last year, even the local papers did not tout that.

This is a big blow and I am sorry to not get to see her play for Maryland but please don't spew poor speculation.

Reaction Score
IMO unless Maryland thinks with Angel they can win the National Championship this year, I would use a Medical Redshirt Year. Yes, she might turn pro after three years but who knows she might be enjoying college and be wiling to stay. Also what will her projected draft status be. If she's not in the Top 3 it might be worth her while to stay in College.
I follow what you are saying. Maryland's ceiling was probably Elite 8 so why would you risk Angel coming back too early. However, I just don't see where she will play 4 years after that. She is just too talented from the limited time I've see her play.

Reaction Score
Always hate so see any player sidelined with a serious injury.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wait, what? WHO, EXACTLY thought Reese should be the #1 recruit???? NO WHERE I have ever seen that discussed and as I was living in Baltimore last year, even the local papers did not tout that.

This is a big blow and I am sorry to not get to see her play for Maryland but please don't spew poor speculation.

Doesn't take much to get some fans riled up evidently ;)

Reaction Score
Actually I think this year doesn't count against a players eligibility.. so she wouldn't even need a redshirt to gain another season.

I believe that’s only for seniors. They get an extra year due to Covid. Not all classes.

Reaction Score
It's for all classes.

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

DI Council extends eligibility for winter sport student-athletes

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reese was an absolute handful and matchup nightmare for Maryland's opponents in the Gulf Coast Showcase. Very sorry to see her sidelined for such a long period.

Maryland is not without depth and has other players who can step up, but certainly no one with the combination of length and athleticism that Reese brings.

Reaction Score
I'm just sorry that Reese will not get a chance to battle Caitlin Clark for Freshman of the Year in the Big 10.

Reaction Score

Angel looks physically like a WNBA player already. Her size and athleticism is unique for a college freshman. I’m still not a fan of her attitude and think that could be an issue down the road for her. But I hate for an injury for any kid like this. Hope she recovers quickly!

Reaction Score
Angel looks physically like a WNBA player already. Her size and athleticism is unique for a college freshman. I’m still not a fan of her attitude and think that could be an issue down the road for her. But I hate for an injury for any kid like this. Hope she recovers quickly!
I don't know about an attitude problem. Her teammates said she's been great all season. Don't force shots and play very hard. Very intense player. She don't take 20 shots a game like Caitlin Clark.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Reese was an absolute handful and matchup nightmare for Maryland's opponents in the Gulf Coast Showcase. Very sorry to see her sidelined for such a long period.

Maryland is not without depth and has other players who can step up, but certainly no one with the combination of length and athleticism that Reese brings.

I agree that Reese has a pretty high ceiling and hopefully this injury won't prevent her (for long) from growing towards it. Good luck to her.

However, a look at Maryland season's stat sheet shows that Brenda has been splitting minutes at the forward, forward/guard slots. My guess is either Mimi Collins (transfer from Tennessee) or Faith Masonius (soph. from Manasquan High in Jersey) will move into the starting role, with the other first off the bench. Mimi's more of true forward while Masonius is something of a Swiss Army knife. Miller, Owosu and Bibby all hit the boards hard, as well.

Transfer guard Katie Benzan (via Harvard) doesn't seem to come of the game much, with Mikesell now on the Left Coast. On the other hand, why should she? Averaging just shy of 20.0 ppg on 61% overall shooting, with 58% from three point land (!).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom