Angel McCoughtry season ending injury | The Boneyard

Angel McCoughtry season ending injury

Reaction Score
I thought Moriah Jefferson made an unaware play ending McCoughtry’s season. It was by no means intentional just a take down at her knees for a loose ball. Moriah had no chance at the ball and went straight at Angels knees. Would have been a great tackle by a smaller defensive back taking down a fullback in football though. Unnecessary and very costly. Can’t help but like Jefferson but that was ridiculous.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have to agree. Because of Moriah's build, she has to go the extra mile in hustle to be disruptive and I imagine with that mindset, you are oblivious to others who may be in the way. Probably never entered her mind that she could injure someone with her size. :(:(:(

Reaction Score
This really stinks. I absolutely love women's basketball, but there are a couple of aspects about it that really frustrate me. Chief among of them is the propensity for knee injuries, it drives me around the bend. I wish Angel all the best for a speedy and full recovery.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Moriah went for the ball and pretty much had it. She wasn't going for Angel's legs. As we saw for 4 years, when the ball was on the floor, Mo was usually the one who came up with it. She uses her quickness and low center of gravity. It was an unfortunate combination of Mo going low to get it and Angel staying upright to try to pick it up.

Best wishes to Angel! She was sharply dressed and a good cheerleader at tonight's game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought Moriah Jefferson made an unaware play ending McCoughtry’s season. It was by no means intentional just a take down at her knees for a loose ball. Moriah had no chance at the ball and went straight at Angels knees. Would have been a great tackle by a smaller defensive back taking down a fullback in football though. Unnecessary and very costly. Can’t help but like Jefferson but that was ridiculous.
Your statement about going for the knees is not true.

Reaction Score
I have to agree. Because of Moriah's build, she has to go the extra mile in hustle to be disruptive and I imagine with that mindset, you are oblivious to others who may be in the way. Probably never entered her mind that she could injure someone with her size. :(:(:(
You summed it up perfectly. Of course she wasn’t trying to injure but it was not a smart play. Very unfortunate.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Did they announce whether or not it was an ACL tear? Hopefully it isn't as that would wipe out her overseas season and most of next year's wnba as well. This could alter the Dreams draft strategy as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did they announce whether or not it was an ACL tear? Hopefully it isn't as that would wipe out her overseas season and most of next year's wnba as well. This could alter the Dreams draft strategy as well.
Not to mention USA basketball now in the market for a SG/SF for World Championship and Olympics.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Really tough loss for Atlanta....they have the athletes to still field a strong team but I’ll be surprised if they can hold on to 2nd place without Angel. They’ll need Bentley to be a steady player. She’s been great as of late but she definitely has a wild card factor to her.

Reaction Score
Angel and Moriah were both going for the ball in the middle of one of the wildest games of the year, with the lead going back and forth. The ball was on the floor and Moriah got down on it like any good UConn player. She deserves no blame whatsoever. I'm sorry about Angel, but an idiot could say she shouldn't be planting her foot there, it was an unaware move. I wouldn't. It's the heat of the battle and sometimes players get injured.

Reaction Score
You summed it up perfectly. Of course she wasn’t trying to injure but it was not a smart play. Very unfortunate.
Think you are overstating things if she didn’t get hurt it just be a hard nosed play. I’m thinking you are just trying to stir up conversation

Reaction Score
It is because women basketball players are so susceptible to devastating knee injuries that the Las Vegas Aces decided not to play a game in D.C. when they were fatigued and sleepless. They cited the risk of injury in their announcement that they wouldn't play. These ACL injuries don't appear to be nearly as prevalent in male players.

Very sad that Angel is out, and that she will face months of painful rehab. Best of luck to her.

Reaction Score
Anyone who really thinks MoJeff took a shot at Angel's legs are way off base!
She was making a play that 99.9% of UCONN players would make with the ball loose on the court! That Angel got hurt is terrible but a second either way and most likely no one would have been hurt! It was bad timing if anything. Two tough players trying to make a play!
Having seen MoJeff play for 4+ years I would guess no-one feels worse about the incident than she does!

Reaction Score
Can Lou get a break from classes? ;)

I think this opens the door for KMac or Jewell. Or some other Notre Dame guard.

I think Delle Donne will back up Maya at SF, thereby opening up another spot in the crowded PF position, giving them the opportunity to infuse Wilson.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Delle Donne will back up Maya at SF, thereby opening up another spot in the crowded PF position, giving them the opportunity to infuse Wilson.
Not a bad option. Though I don’t want A’ja shooting from more than 16’.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom