Andy Katz update on UConn/Big East | The Boneyard

Andy Katz update on UConn/Big East

Reaction Score
Link

Expected to be done this week with formal invite/vote. UConn hopes 27-month notice would be reduced to enter Big East for '20-'21 season. Expect UConn to pay $10M exit fee to AAC. UConn is not giving up on football. Hope is to get games with BC, UMass, Syracuse, Rutgers, some buy games like at Clemson and Tennessee. Huskies already have home and home games with Duke, ILL, IN, Purdue, NCState. Overall travel cost savings for other sports will be monumental. Also, UConn believes being in Big East will help in dealing with financial issues with XL Center and improve overall donations.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Katz hit it right on the money. I'm super curious how much will be saved in travel alone. How many teams are going to no long be travelling to Texas, Kansas, Louisiana, etc.?

Reaction Score
can our football team join the Big East but act as an independent?
No, the Big East has no football members. The FB team would be independent, period.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Donations will SKY ROCKET. Donors have been lobbying to rejoin BE for years. We likely already have the commitments to cover the buy out.

Reaction Score
Katz hit it right on the money. I'm super curious how much will be saved in travel alone. How many teams are going to no long be travelling to Texas, Kansas, Louisiana, etc.?

I would love if that is the sell by the administration. Sure we are going to lose money by the boatloads, but boy did we save a ton on travel.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It would be odd if the conference wants to hold us to 27 months, but I'm used to it by now.

Reaction Score
I would love if that is the sell by the administration. Sure we are going to lose money by the boatloads, but boy did we save a ton on travel.
Going to lose money by the boatloads?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Donations will SKY ROCKET. Donors have been lobbying to rejoin BE for years. We likely already have the commitments to cover the buy out.

This is what people are ignoring.

The donors that pony up are straight up men’s basketball fans and Danny Hurley is manna from heaven for them.

The dude was essentially bred to coach in the Big East - and now he’s working from the biggest boat.

Reaction Score
This is what people are ignoring.

The donors that pony up are straight up men’s basketball fans and Danny Hurley is manna from heaven for them.

The dude was essentially bred to coach in the Big East - and now he’s working from the biggest boat.

There’s even more pressure on him now to succeed, and he freaking loves it.

Reaction Score
His golf comments alone might have closed the deal if anyone had doubt.
Didn't have a chance to read them - do you have a link/point in the right direction?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't have a chance to read them - do you have a link/point in the right direction?

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard something better than that. Books on leadership is the purest gold - I’d inject into my veins.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when the check clears.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You think people hate Jim Calhoun.

Wait until Hurley takes a crap on Cooley and Ewing.

My God he’s going to run the score up against those clowns like he is Steve Spurrier.

How early can you book hotels - March 21 in NYC open yet?

edit: and I think those guys are good coaches - i didn’t watch the dragon show - but Hurley is either the dragon or owns dragons

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be odd if the conference wants to hold us to 27 months, but I'm used to it by now.

It will be magic if the exit fee remains at $10 million & we go in less than 27 months. I hope we have good negotiators......

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
' I am glad you are so positive about this ascertain. I am fairly linked with so many donors and I have heard very little buzz about the NBE. A lot of ACC wishing but the football situation was always a concern with the NBE
I hope you are correct - fingers crossed ;)

Reaction Score
You think people hate Jim Calhoun.

Wait until Hurley takes a crap on Cooley and Ewing.

My God he’s going to run the score up against those clowns like he is Steve Spurrier.

How early can you book hotels - March 21 in NYC open yet?

edit: and I think those guys are good coaches - i didn’t watch the dragon show - but Hurley is either the dragon or owns dragons
Not too long ago (around the hiring time) you put Hurley behind Cooley in your RI coaches rankings. Glad he won you over!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not too long ago (around the hiring time) you put Hurley behind Cooley in your RI coaches rankings. Glad he won you over!

Why don’t you search me and Hurley way back to when he was coaching Wagner...

I’m pretty sure you’ll see that I was the first person here who talked him up as a big time head coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
087D123D-DC3C-4DEF-BBF7-40E94FA893F4.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom