Andre's Foul Shooting | The Boneyard

Andre's Foul Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Stan Van Gundy threw Andre under the bus in the post game press conference. He seemed understandably very frustrated with Andre's foul shooting but also with his defense and rebounding. After Andre missed some early foul shots his body language was really poor and he did not understandably seem comfortable at the line.

The bottomline is the Pistons can't play their franchise player at crunch time in a playoff game. Not a good situation. Andre needs to do something different on his foul shooting this summer - be it underhanded or work with a shooting coach nonstop. Sometimes he has some narrow misses then he loses confidence and you can see his mechanics fall apart before your eyes. He has to have the same routine despite if he made or missed his last shot.

Reaction Score
Stan Van Gundy threw Andre under the bus in the post game press conference. He seemed understandably very frustrated with Andre's foul shooting but also with his defense and rebounding. After Andre missed some early foul shots his body language was really poor and he did not understandably seem comfortable at the line.

The bottomline is the Pistons can't play their franchise player at crunch time in a playoff game. Not a good situation. Andre needs to do something different on his foul shooting this summer - be it underhanded or work with a shooting coach nonstop. Sometimes he has some narrow misses then he loses confidence and you can see his mechanics fall apart before your eyes. He has to have the same routine despite if he made or missed his last shot.
Jeff Van Gundy also talked about it falls on the player to get better. He was a stiff the one year we had him, and still is.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I think his biggest issue is how bad he is defensively.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bottom line is he has to get better at FT shooting or he can't play the last 3 minutes of the game. As the announcers said last night, improvement to 50-55% is squarely on his shoulders.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how anyone in the NBA can shoot 35% from the FT line. If I was a coach I'd have him shooting 500 free throws a day, every day. It's a free shot for Pete sake.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how anyone in the NBA can shoot 35% from the FT line. If I was a coach I'd have him shooting 500 free throws a day, every day. It's a free shot for Pete sake.
Right? Like shoot them underhand, it has come to that. Who cares if it looks funny, the stat on the article Haberstroh wrote yesterday was like if he shot 50% from the libe the Pistons would've won 48 games. It's not just about being a liability, its about losing games because you go 3-14 from the line nearly every game

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I could care less on the quantity each day, he needs to master form. Whatever he has done up to this point, doesn't work. It's not just that he misses, he misses in every direction with multiple arcs and trajectories.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If he can perfect the 90 foot shot, then getting up to 50% on FTs shouldn't be out of the question.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I would take on an incentives contract to improve his foul shooting with $100k for each 1% improvement. I believe I could improve him at 15-20%. He needs to get in his routine quicker but don't rush - I think he needs to mentally visualize the ball going in the basket more as part of his follow through which seems erratic right now.

At this point it's 60% mental. Andre has to get out of denial which is probably a defense mechanism. His coach says he shoots FTs 67% in practice. That should be north of 80% to be good.

And to correct another poster - Andre put up very good numbers his Feshman year almost averaging a double/double. I have covered it before we had coaching and point guard changes throughout the year - in a more stable year he would have done even better - especially if Calhoun had a normal year without suspensions and health issues.

Reaction Score

Great call, coach. What have you seen, read or observed to indicate that the problem is that he's not shooting enough free throws in practice? By all accounts he works on it constantly.

While I agree with Chief in theory, I think it's far more than 60% mental at this point.

Reaction Score
It's a huge, career-limiting problem. But as others have said, I don't think it's for a lack of work. Being tagged with the humiliation of being the worst free throw in NBA history is plenty of incentive to work to improve - I'm obviously rooting for him to get there, but four years in, with little improvement, there isn't a ton of room for optimism.

Reaction Score
Chuck Knoblauch couldnt throw the ball from second base to first base. These things happen in the pros.

Reaction Score
Yup but practice makes perfect.
You obviously don't know what 'lil Darren was alluding to. Sometimes the yips or the possibility of them keep you from making perfect. But hey, you keep practicing at being a good poster, 'k buddy?

Reaction Score
You obviously don't know what 'lil Darren was alluding to. Sometimes the yips or the possibility of them keep you from making perfect. But hey, you keep practicing at being a good poster, 'k buddy?

There's a 0% chance anyone can practice foul shooting everyday and still shoot 35%. And enough of the yips nonsense. This is professional basketball.

Reaction Score
Hear that, Andre? Jim declared that the yips don't exist. That should fix everything.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jeff Van Gundy also talked about it falls on the player to get better. He was a stiff the one year we had him, and still is.

He underachieved at times as everyone on that team during that season
To call an NBA All Star a stiff is immature, stupid and exhibits a total lack of understanding and basic intelligence
In other words a DB remark

Reaction Score
There's a 0% chance anyone can practice foul shooting everyday and still shoot 35%. And enough of the yips nonsense. This is professional basketball.

Jon Lester gets paid $25 million a year to pitch for the Cubs. He can hardly throw the ball to first base.

Reaction Score
He underachieved at times as everyone on that team during that season
To call an NBA All Star a stiff is immature, stupid and exhibits a total lack of understanding and basic intelligence
In other words a DB remark
He was not an all star in college. Many games he was not in at the end. His near double double was the result of dunks, not real skills. and keep the personal attacks to your self. They reflect on your lack of tolerance of opinions you do not agree with.

Reaction Score
He was not an all star in college. Many games he was not in at the end. His near double double was the result of dunks, not real skills. and keep the personal attacks to your self. They reflect on your lack of tolerance of opinions you do not agree with.

Did you already forget what you said? You said he's a stiff now. He's an All-Star now. Reconcile that if you really meant it.

Reaction Score
Did you already forget what you said? You said he's a stiff now. He's an All-Star now. Reconcile that if you really meant it.
An all star who was pulled out of last nights game with 5:32 left to play. Because his team had a better chance to win with him on the bench. Granted, he is an NBA all star. That can not be challenged.

C

Chief00

While I think much of this is mental at this point - some bad mechanics and inconsistent routine started the ball rolling downhill. As a pro you need to make better than 2 of 3 in practice - if you make north of 80% you bring to the game more confidence. The Pistons do have a respected shooting coach working with him but obviously not much progress has been made. If you are a good foul shooter you always think the next one is going in - and when you get fouled the body language projects confidence as you step to the line - like this is a great opportunity. Andre body language says I don't want to be here on the line.
Andre is a wonderful kid, takes well to coaching and works pretty hard by today's standards. While so much comes natural to this freak of an athlete - foul shooting doesn't.

caw

Reaction Score
An all star who was pulled out of last nights game with 5:32 left to play. Because his team had a better chance to win with him on the bench. Granted, he is an NBA all star. That can not be challenged.

The coach (who is usually excellent) thought the team had a better chance with him out the last 6 minutes. Considering what happened, I think he made a mistake. Sure it's Monday morning quarterbacking to an extent but I was begging the screen for him to put Drummond back in for at least the final two minutes. The 6-2 minute marks you can argue but the final two minutes without Drummond was a massive mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom