Andre solved the puzzle!!! | The Boneyard

Andre solved the puzzle!!!

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted but very insightful article.

I pray to God that he truly figured out how to play the game to his strengths, not succumb to the temptation of fools gold, aka, perimeter shooting even if unguarded.

Nonetheless, a big shout out to Andre! Hope The light bulb is on for him, watch out for the Huskies to have a deep run coming March.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO.. The criticism of Andre's talents/decisions ..esp. during our stretch in January.. was not totally "on him". It was a shared responsibility between the coaching staff/team and Andre.. I'm referring primarily to the conundrum of shooting with defenders laying off of him. I can imagine a conversation between Andre and DH where Andre asked him.. What do you want me to do when they give me the shot? My guess is that DH would tell him to take "good threes" if they're given to you and or pass to an open teammate.

What's my point? Cutting him some slack on the decisions he made when he was put in those situations. Good news?? It appears that the staff/DH/the team/ and Andre have figured out some schemes/plays/roles that allow him to fit his unusually talented skill set within the framework of efficient offense and still allow for his creativity. If he's solved this scenario as it appears the staff and team is close to doing.. Good luck to opposing coaches trying to figure out a way to stop us on offense..

Edit:If this post is entirely redundant to article above (which I could not open).. Apologize.. Just thought folks were laying the entire blame at Andre's feet..Which I thought was unfair given what else he brings to the table .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They've finally been able to figure out how to burn teams that sag off of him with his work on the weak side. When that defender either helps or just pays a little too much attention to the ball, he's been able to get some great looks and feeds from his teammates right around the basket. Sanogo had the nice feed to him for the first basket yesterday and we're seeing a lot more back cuts where the defense just lost him.

caw

Reaction Score
Most teams have stopped sagging off him as much after a few plays where he either screens up top for the shooter or gets an O-board/gets a back cut on the weak side. Once teams get back to defending him properly I wonder what a good coach will do to try and mess with Hurley's fixes? Defend him with a four man only really works well if your three is big enough to stop Karaban on a quick cut/post (which he did very well against PC). Stick with it anyway, and I do mean fully commit to full game ignoring him and dare him to beat you?

They've finally been able to figure out how to burn teams that sag off of him with his work on the weak side. When that defender either helps or just pays a little too much attention to the ball, he's been able to get some great looks and feeds from his teammates right around the basket. Sanogo had the nice feed to him for the first basket yesterday and we're seeing a lot more back cuts where the defense just lost him.

The amount of gravity Hawkins pulls to him allows for a lot of backcuts also as every one of the floor seems to have their eyes on helping his defender when he's on full energizer bunny mode. It has helped a lot in addition to pulling Sanogo up from the low-post to allow more space there as well as Sanogo being a pretty good passer from the high post. It's not quite five out, but it's close.

Reaction Score
That action has been there all year.. There is now better recognition by teammates with ball in their hands.. Having Sanogo out of the paint area (on occasion) opens up baseline.. Esp. when ball is in Sanogo's hands and his defender can't help on D because he has to respect Adama's shot from top of key/three point line.

Reaction Score
On the offensive end when he's positioned in the corner, foul line or baseline is where he needs to be. I think he makes a relatively high % of corner 3's and I'm comfortable with that shot. When he's around the top of the key is no bueno.

Reaction Score
The guy guarding Dre has been the east choice for other teams to bring the double with to Adama when he gets deep in the post. Instead of having Andre stand open and wait for a catch/shoot kick out, they now have him cut to the hoop. Some of these easy dunks/baskets have seemed to do a ton for his confidence lately

Averaging 11/7/3.3 on 63%/17(only 6 shots, including 4 in 1 game)/75% over the last 3

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it’s more props to the staff. I still want Andre to develop a different and cleaner stroke over the summer. If we could bottle up Hawk’s stroke and give it to AJ he would makes 10’s of millions.

Reaction Score
As long as the team keeps moving on offense and AJ remains aggressive, he should have more of a free hand to create. Teams cannot pay special attention to Adama and Hawkins by sagging off AJ unless he just stays behind the arc and hoists 3s.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We adjust they adjust. We adjust they adjust. Repeat. Repeat.

He will have to add driving to the rim in the the half court offense eventually. He needs to get to the line 5+ times a game.
5+ seems high by itself.

I think there's probably a healthy number derived by a combining trips to the line made by AJax & Tristen.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Can't tell which is funnier, the idea they need to get Andre 5+ FTs a game (he averages 1.4 FTA a game and has had 5 FTA in a game all of two times this year) or that he needs to Just Become A Better 3 Point Shooter (he has probably shot 15,000 of them in practice).

Stop expecting good players to suddenly be good at things we have an extremely large sample size that they are not good at. Enjoy them for the many good things they are actually capable of doing.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Andre is The Answer

Reaction Score
We adjust they adjust. We adjust they adjust. Repeat. Repeat.

He will have to add driving to the rim in the the half court offense eventually. He needs to get to the line 5+ times a game.
He ain't getting to the line 5+ a (or per) game. If he does that in one game within the next few games, take it as a bonus. If the miraculous happens and he does it 5+ every game I will gladly eat crow.

Reaction Score
The coaching staff worked on a lot of variations of plays / sets where Sanogo passes the ball to Andre on baseline. They didn’t have those plays at the start of the year. It solved both the Sanogo double team problem, and the Andre sag problem.

They almost ended the 1st half of St John’s game with a thunderous dunk, but Adama’s pass just a little too high. There is a good chance this chemistry between Andre and Adama gets better in the next few weeks too. It may lead to teams deciding not to double Adama, and we’ve seen Adama torch a few teams when that’s happened.

Reaction Score
Andre's driving and dishing is a plus. There may be more turnovers but worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom