Andre Jackson X2 Last Night | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson X2 Last Night

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson had two plays where he got jobbed by the refs and it's becoming somewhat of a common occurrence.

First half hammer dunk down the lane was an obvious and 1 call for the refs. Ighoefe definitely hit Jackson across the chest with his arm and it was no where near vertical. Jackson took a decent fall on that one.

Second half, Jackson gets a clean block where he got so far off the ground from a flat-footed start and made a clean block. Refs called the foul.

Jackson is getting to the point where he trusts his athleticism and skill and is figuratively and literally taking off. Refs haven't caught up to some of this and are either too late blowing the whistle because Jackson got from point A to point B when refs weren't anticipating it. Or, Jackson doesn't do something the refs anticipate he would do and they blow the whistle because most players would be committing fouls.

And that was a definite flagrant foul at the end and borderline cheap shot. No chance of making a play on the ball with his right arm from where he was and where Jackson was for that drive. Only thing that was going to happen is what did happen. Clothesline.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Yeah, pretty close to a flagrant 2 IMO - like I don't think he was trying to hurt Jackson but that was pretty much a straight up clothesline.

Andre was looking awesome last night - I know GT isn't much of test but the team as a whole looked friggin' great.

Reaction Score
I had the same thought on his vicious dunk that should have been an and-1.

Refs making anticipation calls against us on defense has been a problem for a while, especially this year when we're blocking more shots. If we solidify our reputation for rim protection, that will help us avoid those calls down the line. Back in our heyday (2003-2009 or so) we got a pretty favorable whistle at our defensive rim because of our reputation for blocking shots cleanly.

The flagrant-1 call at the end was right. It wasn't excessive force, but it was a clear foul around the neck.

Reaction Score
All above is true, but every time he is on the run, you have to ask if the next pass is going to be a sweet dime or a souvenir for the crowd. Cup Cormier style.

Reaction Score
All above is true, but every time he is on the run, you have to ask if the next pass is going to be a sweet dime or a souvenir for the crowd. Cup Cormier style.
What you say is true, to a degree. But that errant pass becomes a distant memory after he grabs 2 defensive boards and makes a pass to the corner for a wide open 3. Andre giveth, and Andre takeith away a little bit. But he is an enormous plus on the whole.

What observation I had though from last night. My seats were about even with the baseline and I noticed that defenders could get Andre to bite on a head fake or pump fake rather easily. Given how much Andre has improved in other areas I'm sure it's something he will have dialed in by seasons end.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What you say is true, to a degree. But that errant pass becomes a distant memory after he grabs 2 defensive boards and makes a pass to the corner for a wide open 3. Andre giveth, and Andre takeith away a little bit. But he is an enormous plus on the whole.

What observation I had though from last night. My seats were about even with the baseline and I noticed that defenders could get Andre to bite on a head fake or pump fake rather easily. Given how much Andre has improved in other areas I'm sure it's something he will have dialed in by seasons end.
That’s a great observation, and consistent with his tendency to react before he fully assess the situation. His reactions are so much faster than most that he can frequently recover, but it is something other teams will try to exploit as they study film on him.

Reaction Score
So do we think Jackson's ball off the backboard that Whaley got a putback layup off was a shot or a pass? I'm 90% sure it was just a bad shot he got forced into taking, but I can never be sure with Andre

Reaction Score
Jackson in that open NBA game is going to be a force. I said that last year. I haven’t changed my mind.
Court vision and a sense the action is slowed are not teachable gifts.
Although comparing players to generational players is unfair. Modeling your game after one is not . He is reminiscent of a young Magic Johnson .
Magic had a command of the team akin to Khalid but had wing size. That maturity is rare in college players. At least at this stage Jackson does not yet have that grasp ,which is why I would beg him to comeback if he wants to be top 5 and a foundational player. Drafting a good player is great but drafting a player capable of making his teammates better also, is rare.
I’ve been around BB for over 60 years and have seen all the greats and usually roll my eyes at BY hyperbole.? Laying those kind comparison on kids who are still developing skills is not something I like to do.Simply because other factors can hinder or ever curtail that development.
That’s not a caveat but it is real world.

Reaction Score
So do we think Jackson's ball off the backboard that Whaley got a putback layup off was a shot or a pass? I'm 90% sure it was just a bad shot he got forced into taking, but I can never be sure with Andre
haha, it was definitely a shot. now that his threes are falling, his touch on lay-ups has to be his biggest achilles heel (other than maybe overplaying and getting back-cut on d). he has hit some tough and-ones this year, but he doesn't have elite finishing ability and sometimes looks a little silly. probably my favorite player to watch all the same.

Reaction Score
Jackson gets the worst whistle I've seen and his teammates don't convert on so many of his great reads/passes. He's simply ahead of the refs and his teammates in the way he sees the game and the way he moves.

Reaction Score
Every minute he is on the court you feel like something special might happen. That dunk was fierce and he started that drive at the top of the key. Once he trusts his handle, things will get interesting.
AJ is getting much more comfortable game by game, it seems he is trusting his judgment rather than thinking. The team as a whole is starting to gel. Things are getting interesting.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jackson had two plays where he got jobbed by the refs and it's becoming somewhat of a common occurrence.

First half hammer dunk down the lane was an obvious and 1 call for the refs. Ighoefe definitely hit Jackson across the chest with his arm and it was no where near vertical. Jackson took a decent fall on that one.

Second half, Jackson gets a clean block where he got so far off the ground from a flat-footed start and made a clean block. Refs called the foul.

Jackson is getting to the point where he trusts his athleticism and skill and is figuratively and literally taking off. Refs haven't caught up to some of this and are either too late blowing the whistle because Jackson got from point A to point B when refs weren't anticipating it. Or, Jackson doesn't do something the refs anticipate he would do and they blow the whistle because most players would be committing fouls.

And that was a definite flagrant foul at the end and borderline cheap shot. No chance of making a play on the ball with his right arm from where he was and where Jackson was for that drive. Only thing that was going to happen is what did happen. Clothesline.
Definitely a clothesline. First thing I thought of. You could get thrown out of a football game for that. Potentially very dangerous because the leverage on the rest of the body can take someone's legs right out from under them on a hardwood floor with no pads on for God's sake. You can't just stick your arm out around someone's head (or neck) when they're flying by. It may not have been "intentional" per se but it looked like frustration (anger) and that needs to be tempered.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson in that open NBA game is going to be a force. I said that last year. I haven’t changed my mind.
Although comparing players to generational players is unfair. Modeling your game after one is not . He is reminiscent of a young Magic Johnson .
Magic had a command of the team akin to Khalid but had wing size. That maturity is rare in college players. At least at this stage Jackson does not yet have that grasp ,which is why I would beg him to comeback if he wants to be top 5 and a foundational player. Drafting a good player is great but drafting a player capable of making his teammates better also, is rare.
I’ve been around BB for over 60 years and have seen all the greats and usually roll my eyes at BY hyperbole.? Laying those kind comparison on kids who are still developing skills is not something I like to do.Simply because other factors can hinder or ever curtail that development.

I'll go on a limb and suggest Jackson is never as good or gifted as the greatest PG in basketball history.

And the main reason why is Jackson has to learn to how make his speed and vision mesh with the speed and vision of his teammates and opponents.

I've noticed a few times each of the past few games where Jackson makes a pass almost assuming his teammates are playing at the same speed as he is and obviously that rarely happens.

Magic's gift of vision was understanding how to use his skills at the speed, tempo and ability of his teammates.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll go on a limb and suggest Jackson is never as good or gifted as the greatest PG in basketball history.

And the main reason why is Jackson has to learn to how make his speed and vision mesh with the speed and vision of his teammates and opponents.

I've noticed a few times each of the past few games where Jackson makes a pass almost assuming his teammates are playing at the same speed as he is and obviously that rarely happens.

Magic's gift of vision was understanding how to use his skills at the speed, tempo and ability of his teammates.
Magic, Larry Bird, Sheffer, Williams…even Bueckers (don’t @ me!); that’s true vision and anticipation. Playing faster and better by slowing down and understanding not only where the play is, but where it is heading. Being ahead of everyone else doesn’t help unless you are taking it to the hole yourself.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I said in the "I don't see it" thread he looked like a guy that it was all just going to "click" one day. I think we are approaching that point. The strides he is making clearly show his work ethic and dedication to truly utilize his natural gifts.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes, reminiscent of Magic and also Pete Maravich who was a big influence on him growing up. He is a very special talent and watching him work together with Sanogo is a joy. Not surprising Hurley said they're the ones who live in the gym. What a great and exciting example they are setting for the younger guys and the kids we are recruiting. I also see what some other posters were talking about regarding the young talent at Georgetown. They could be scary in the not too distant future. The best years in a long time seem to be heading back to the Big East.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Jackson gets the worst whistle I've seen and his teammates don't convert on so many of his great reads/passes. He's simply ahead of the refs and his teammates in the way he sees the game and the way he moves.
Yea he fools the refs and his teammates with his freak plays. Staff needs to send tape in to the league.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I rewound it at the time because I wasn't sure either :D

I think it was a "bad" shot - but with our OR ability I think I'd rather have him toss it up at the backboard then flub a pass or get stripped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom