And Some Of You Actually Complained About Van Gundy? | The Boneyard

And Some Of You Actually Complained About Van Gundy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bob: "We've now gone 4 minutes without EITHER team scoring."

Meghan: "Ha, ha, ha."

Reaction Score
I know. It's amazing that she sometimes reacts the way she does. She's much more interested in reacting to Picozzi's attempts to be conversational than she is in analyzing the game. Both of them, for the longest time, went on as if it were a normal UConn performance, expressing no concern about the players' performance beyond random observations that Geno won't be happy with this or that. Sheesh.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I know. It's amazing that she sometimes reacts the way she does. She's much more interested in reacting to Picozzi's attempts to be conversational than she is in analyzing the game. Both of them, for the longest time, went on as if it were a normal UConn performance, expressing no concern about the players' performance beyond random observations that Geno won't be happy with this or that. Sheesh.
They are horrid.

Reaction Score
I was thinking dreadful, but I'll take horrid.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Bob and Meghan are less homers then the Fox Crew that was announcing the Stanford vs Tenn game. :)

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of being homers. IOt's a matter of delivering play by play and inteligent commentary. In addition to calling Lauren Laura, he now says that Kaleena is "KLM," which is Royal Dutch Airlines. Last time I looked, it's KML.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
They are useless. It is MUCH better to turn off the sound and read the BoneYard thread. That way you get some intelligent commentary and learn something about the game. Of course, it's late...but still. Hey, I wonder if we could have a feed on the Yard, hooked up to Ice, Doggy, and OldCoache. Wouldn't that be cool. It would be like watching the game with them talking about it as we watched.

Reaction Score
I vote yes. Hell, I vote anything that does not have Laura and KLM and the color commentator's "Yuk., yuk, yuk" included. Obviously, no one has ever told her that when she uses it, she should choose a spot that actually calls for someone to laugh. Unlike the example cited at the start of this thread.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
They are useless. It is MUCH better to turn off the sound and read the BoneYard thread. That way you get some intelligent commentary and learn something about the game. Of course, it's late...but still. Hey, I wonder if we could have a feed on the Yard, hooked up to Ice, Doggy, and OldCoache. Wouldn't that be cool. It would be like watching the game with them talking about it as we watched.

Do we have to complain about Bob and Meghan after every game?

They are who they are, and what they are. Do they make some mistakes every game? Yes. But it doesn't bother me. They are like old friends. They are informative most of the time. They do have some "insider knowledge" that I often appreciate. I can see the game, so I don't depend on the announcers to keep me informed. Considering what I expect CPTV can pay for announcers, I think Bob and Meghan are a pretty good buy.

JMHO -- but some of the games I have seen recently on bigger networks have had much worse announcers than Bob and Meghan.

I do appreciate your offer to connect me up with Ice and Doggy. That would be fun.
FWIW -- I have done a lot of radio and TV work -- including (many years ago) color commentary for ABC's Wide World of Sport. It was a neat job which I always enjoyed.

Love and stuff, and Merry Christmas from OC.

Reaction Score
Apologies to Oldecoach, all disclaimers noted about how lucky we all are to be able to watch at all, and not to pile on - but this one really was dreadful.

Picozzi's mind-numbing regurgitation of the same irrelevant factoids (spectacularly timed to coincide with something interesting occurring on the court) over and over (and over and over...) and Culmo's repeated sycophantic declarations - how many variations of "I love Kelly Faris game" are there? Let us count the ways - have gone beyond tiresome and annoying.

A sidenote - it appears as if at least these past few away games are being broadcast by CPTV in pseudo-HD. Perhaps captured on SD cameras and upconverted to HD? Either way - there's no way the picture broadcast on CPTV via DirecTV was true HD.

Besides all that it was a brilliant broadcast. :)

Reaction Score
When I watch the game my focus is on the game. The two announcers continue as they always have in their own way. Now, if I listened carefully to them, I too might get irritated. But I don't. I wonder what any announcer could say and fill time with that awful first half.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Eric Frede does a fine job, as do Bob Joyce and Kara. There are informed and articulate local choices available.

Might be interesting to hear some of the horde occasionally.

Reaction Score
They are still a lot better than the usual ESPN crew who start to talk about everything but the game. Also CPTV doesn't insert 1/2 screen ads about what's coming next during free throws.

They also at least mention who's been fouled, ESPN glosses over half of the foul calls.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They also at least mention who's been fouled, ESPN glosses over half of the foul calls.
Not always. They frequently talk right across that. Eric Frede is the one who is most fastidious at that and, also, keeping the fans informed of subs and who is in the game. As some have noted Meghan is improved by working with Eric. Maybe it's time for CPTV to let Bob go and use Eric regularly. If they pay a premium for Bob over Eric they can save some money, too.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Eric Frede does a fine job, as do Bob Joyce and Kara. There are informed and articulate local choices available.

Might be interesting to hear some of the horde occasionally.

Yes, was very impressed with Eric Frede when he subbed for Bob Picozzi earlier in the season. It's just that "Back to you Eric" doesn't sound quite as mellifluous as "Back to you Bob." :)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's television. A visual media. I don't need a play by play description of things that I can see with my own eyes. I know who the UConn players are and at least in the case of teams like C of C, I don't care who the players on the other team are. Games like the one last night should never be played. Is it any wonder that the announcers drifted off - just like me?

Criticizing Picozzi for mispeaking is petty and making fun of Cuolmo's laugh is childish (churlish?). If you don't care for them, zone them out. If you need play by play to understand what's happening, sit closer to the screen and do your own.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They are paid not to drift off and to keep people informed of what is going on in the game. It is not a visual medium, it is a multimedia program. If it was a visual medium no sound whatsoever would be necessary. Information given by the audio is still a critical part of the coverage. Many listen to the game as much or more than they watch it. Sticking to calling a quality play by play over comes boring games by focusing on the plays which are ever varying.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
They are paid not to drift off and to keep people informed of what is going on in the game. It is not a visual medium, it is a multimedia program. Information given by the audio is still a critical part of the coverage. Many listen to the game as much or more than they watch it. Sticking to calling a quality play by play over comes boring games by focusing on the plays which are ever varying.

Icebear, I agree with you, but then again I've seen plenty of so-called "professional" broadcasters who couldn't stop talking about themselves and irrelevancies. during a game. My "favorites" in that regard were Joe Morgan and Jon Miller who used to do regular baseball games on ESPN. Especially Morgan who never saw a play on the field that was more important than something he had done. Thankfully, neither is currently on ESPN.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
People complained about Van Gundy? Not basketball fans, Ill bet.

Reaction Score
They are horrid.
What's horrid is the constant crique after every game. Tv Visual. I think they give a lot of behind the scenes info that we would not normally get. turn down the sound

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What's horrid is the constant crique after every game. Tv Visual. I think they give a lot of behind the scenes info that we would not normally get. turn down the sound
When possible many of us listen to Bob and Kara while watching the game.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: last year [think it was that recent] the CPTV broadcast did include an occasional interview with a member of The Horde.
They should reinstitute that feature pronto. I also remember that the Geno show had as guests a couple of Horde members....do it again. They bring a different voice and view that can be interesting.

Another [incredibly helpful!] suggestion: get some tape of Breanna and Morgan highlights from Phoenix...show them on a
Geno show and have him critique their play. A Moriah game as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When possible many of us listen to Bob and Kara while watching the game.
Then why the need to come on here and bash Meghan and Bob after pretty much every game?

Just listen to the radio and then you won't have to come on here and whine and complain all the time. Seems like it would make your life more bearable (pun intended).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then why the need to come on here and bash Meghan and Bob after pretty much every game?

Just listen to the radio and then you won't have to come on here and whine and complain all the time. Seems like it would make your life more bearable (pun intended).
Because maybe in time it will change if the noise is loud enough. As suggested they already have a great upgrade available in Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom