And so it begins, stats people... | The Boneyard

And so it begins, stats people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
...exhibition or not, first game of the year is in the books.

And it's also in the Per-40-minutes spreadsheet. Get it here. This year's stats are the top link in the list.

Unlike many in the other threads, I was pretty happy with Saniya's performance. She needs to be a steady hand and willing to take the offensive openings given her and she did that.

Ditto for Natalie. Three of the shots she missed were because she got pushed under the basket and shot again instead of passing it out. I think that's pretty fixable. Her BRATS rating was second on the team and despite being swarmed in the paint didn't turn the ball over.

Like many in the other threads, I was very happy with the play of the freshmen. But I will particularly call out Kyla. Beside her willingness and ability to mix it up underneath with good results at both ends, I spent a lot of time watching her feet & defense. Both were spectacular for a first game on the hallowed (well it would be if it weren't pretty new) UConn floor. Lots to be looked forward to.

Too early to talk about stats leaders except to note Gabby had quite a night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That Breanna Stewart must have been some kind of player. Those shooting numbers are off the charts!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
That Breanna Stewart must have been some kind of player. Those shooting numbers are off the charts!

You making a joke or did you download last year's sheet? If there's an error, let me know.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

And it's also in the Per-40-minutes spreadsheet. Get it here. This year's stats are the top link in the list.

Unlike many in the other threads, I was pretty happy with Saniya's performance. She needs to be a steady hand and willing to take the offensive openings given her and she did that.

Ditto for Natalie. Three of the shots she missed were because she got pushed under the basket and shot again instead of passing it out. I think that's pretty fixable. Her BRATS rating was second on the team and despite being swarmed in the paint didn't turn the ball over.

Like many in the other threads, I was very happy with the play of the freshmen. But I will particularly call out Kyla. Beside her willingness and ability to mix it up underneath with good results at both ends, I spent a lot of time watching her feet & defense. Both were spectacular for a first game on the hallowed (well it would be if it weren't pretty new) UConn floor. Lots to be looked forward to.

Had there been a Badass Award, Gabby would have got it (at end of first quarter).:)

First Badass recognition: Florida State game, season opener. I can't wait!:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JRRJ - good analysis of the game and I agree with pretty much everything though perhaps just a little less over the moon with Kyla - good first outing and nice that she scored well in the 4th Q, but I didn't think she was noticeably better than the other freshman in general - all played with poise and showed some skill, and all made a few mistakes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You making a joke or did you download last year's sheet? If there's an error, let me know.
No error. Thanks for posting.
BS: FG% 57.9% 3PFG% 42.6% FT% 83.6
MJ: FG% 55.7% 3PFG% 43.1% FT% 89.4
Do people realize how sick those numbers are consider the volume of attempts.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Welcome back to the land of people with too much time on their hands JRRRJ!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought the 3 freshmen are great and they remind me,
Crystal ===> Moriah
Kyla ===> Morgan
Molley ===> Sue Bird

I think you come closest with KI-luh (;)), though Kyla has a better left hand than Morgan, and I suspect her 3% will be better. Morgan came in with great team awareness, passing skills. I will wait and see for Kyla on that and all the rest that made Morgan Morgan.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IF the freshmen can make that adjustment to college play quickly, that will extend Geno's bench considerably. Right now it's very short. Butler and Lawlor are the only non-starters with any prior D1 playing experience.
At some point during the season, Geno's going to need production from beyond the 6th man on the bench. That production (if it comes) will come from a freshman.

Reaction Score
I thought the 3 freshmen are great and they remind me,
Crystal ===> Moriah
Kyla ===> Morgan
Molley ===> Sue Bird

Is that for REAL?? Do you really think Molly is equal to Sue as a Frosh?? Be still my heart!
Sue was/is such an exceptional person/talent and as cute as she is --she is tough as nails. Her greatest attribute (among many) --when she screwed up --she immediately made a great play--if she lost the ball she'd steal it back, etc--in clutch time--Sue made the big shots--her top of the key jumper was beautiful and accurate. You are right--I love Sue Bird..(now Molly). If only Molly plays that great--thanks for saying that--our long season could get shorter.

Reaction Score
I think you come closest with KI-luh (;)), though Kyla has a better left hand than Morgan, and I suspect her 3% will be better. Morgan came in with great team awareness, passing skills. I will wait and see for Kyla on that and all the rest that made Morgan Morgan.

I'd be thrilled if the above sightings and thought were accurate--why not? HOWEVER, our new kids are not Moriah, Morgan or Sue--they most probably will be great as Kyla, Crystal, Molly. As Carnac--through his turban-has stated--Geno/Uconn needs them to be better than good right away.
UMiami--has posted good things about Kyla and Natalie as have other people whose opinions I respect. Putting Kyla in Morgans shoes at this point would be a mistake--I agree let us see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom