Analyzing the Portal | The Boneyard

Analyzing the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wondered, how do 3 transfers compare with other teams? Here are some numbers. (Remember, these are not final numbers as many more transfers are coming and the potential portal players from teams that made deep NCAA runs haven’t hit the portal yet.)

ACC: average 1.7 per team
Big 12: average 3.0 per team
Big 10: average 1.5 per team
Big East: average 0.9 per team
Pac 12: average 1.8 per team
SEC: average 4.1 per team

P6: average 2.1 per team

Final Top 25: average 1.8 per team

I’m not making excuses for Hurley and the transfers at UConn, but we are in a new era and kids are going to leave for a variety of reasons. And, the ability and pressure to win now for coaches is higher than ever due to the availability of players in the portal. I do think Hurley made a mistake not bringing in a backup PG from the portal last year as UConn was a veteran team that could have made a run in the NCAAT.

As for the UConn transfers, the loss of Floyd is the most puzzling/concerning. He could be the 4 year player that a school needs for building the program. Gaffney leaving is not a surprise given he struggled for playing time as a junior on a team that lacked guard depth. Same story for Diggins. And, if you look back, top UConn guards always contributed as freshmen and Diggins didn’t.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Wait data supports that transfers are happening across the college basketball landscape. According to the BY Hurley is just stealing money from the program and doesn't know what he is doing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Should be four for us I think.
Not yet. But it's possible. Hurley could be working to prevent that, but it's the one he's probably most responsible for if it happens.

Reaction Score
As of right now it stinks as we are negative 3, but if the end result of this is we lose floyd gaffney and diggins but gain newton, castle and some dept guy, I have to think that is a win for us. Still sucks losing Floyd though

Reaction Score
Which is another way of saying UConn accounts for 30% of Big East xfers.
Last year, the Big East averaged 3.4 transfers/school and UConn had 3. And, the 3 BE schools that have had a head coaching change have only 1 transfer so far which will probably increase a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom