Analysis of offense/defense...but "Adjustments" won the game. | The Boneyard

Analysis of offense/defense...but "Adjustments" won the game.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable win for the Huskies. This year has been a year for the Huskies dealing with injuries and fans not knowing what to expect from Mora. I always believed Uconn players from Edsall era were better than what most people thought because a lot of people believed that having a high turnover roster haul full of portal guys will help this team win, but that was not case. I am glad I saved this quote from Charlton after he was hired “There’s a misconception, because of what happened in the past here, that there’s not talent on this team,” Charlton said. “I said it to the offense right before they left for break. I was very honest. I said, ‘Men, we’re not watching last year together.’ I’ve watched that on my own, the staff has, and we’ve evaluated guys. But I have no interest in watching that tape. To me, it is all about moving forward and developing these guys and finding out who is able to play and what they do well.” I am glad Mora recruited from the portal, but I am also glad that Mora took the roster from last year especially those that were starters and elevated their game even higher in terms of development with a better supporting cast of a coach.

Offense:
- As much as I am a critic for when we do bad, I gotta hand it to Charlton for his play calling the latter half of the game. I keep forgetting that Charlton is a young play caller who is still learning the ropes of offensive play calling in the FBS and against better competition. To give a quick run down, Charlton been coaching for 7 years. Really 5 years because he was a GA the first two years and WR, OC/QB/HC in Maine. He will learn that sometimes you just have to keep running the ball down a team throats even if its boring picking up 5-7yards every carry when you are up by 21, you never deviate from it if the other team has no answer for you. I feel like all season we have done so well running the ball with whoever has the hot hand whether that be Rosa, Burns, Nate etc, we end up trying to dial up a trick play or get to fancy that it ends up hurting us the most at the wrong time. This game, I am glad Burns got most of the carries in the 3rd/4th quarter to really bruise their defense up to set up the last td.

- ZT is not ready yet, the irony is that he has 6 games under his belt and has won more than all 5 previous qbs who started before him, but that kid is a baller and his mental toughness to win us the game in the 4th is unmatched and is something that cannot be taught. ZT has the best arm in the program, but man this kid has no ceiling whatsoever to probably be a great QB for the Huskies. All he needs to work on is his decision making and going through his progression. This game he forced a lot of throws to his 1st option, but I also partially blame Charlton for putting him in a bad spot right before half time and should have just kept running the ball instead of letting ZT pass. Not every play call and execution will always go the way you want them, but you gotta have situational awareness the last two minutes before halftime when you are up. Milk the clock, settle for a fg, force them to be under the pressure. (I will say Charlton did a better job in the 4th quarter milking the clock and making liberty sweat bullets to score).

-Oline. Not much to be said. They are a formidable group.I believe another year in the weight room and with our starters Nyadu, Haynes, Seen, and Lundt returning next year, they will end up being really good for us.

-WR/TE. Is it bad that I am glad I saw more of Harrison in instead of Flynn? Well besides the point, I will say I like what I saw out of Harrison when he got in. He is a speedster, but I am glad they gave more reps to Joly and Clericius this game. Shoutout to Clercius for being clutch, this is a kid who doesn't make the catches beginning of the games, but when the game is on the line, he all of sudden has the best clutch hands on the field. Props to him and the group.

Defense- The backbone of this team+our running game. I love Mora adjustments throughout the game, coming out the gate second half, I am sure he opted to go soft coverage because we stopped them from running the ball successfully the 1st half, so probably was anticipating Liberty passing the ball in which they started doing and our dbs kept getting torched, but instead they just kept pounding the rock and it definitely hurt us, but props to Mora and the players for situational awareness especially the players for getting down when we were gassed so we do not have to burn a timeout to get a breather. I do not think our players were hurt, but just "cramping" some will say we weren't but oh well.

Secondary this group is formidable, but also we lack speed. Difference between this year and last year is we at least get pressure to the qb which forces the qb to mistimes his throw whereas last year the qb will have all the time to throw the ball even when we were blitzing because we could not get any type of push and never disguised or did any pre-snap movement on defense.

I very much enjoy this win and excited that we proved all of the naysayers wrong. These players been preaching all year about being different and they are truly different. I still believe we could have beat Utah St and Ball St to be at 8-3, but I will take 6-5 and hopefully we can finish the season 7-5 and most of all 8-5 after bowling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm convinced that Charlton's issue is that he's thinking too far ahead. I think the dumb plays like that option and the pass back are put in to set something up at a later point in the game. The problem is that we never get to do whatever he was setting up, because those plays put us in a position where we now have to play a different type of football.

As you said, sometimes he just has to take what the defense gives him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The two point conversion play was brilliant in its simplicity and execution. For a decade UConn fans have watched other teams execute that play with ease while UConn struggled to do anything. What a joy to watch UConn execute that play.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The two point conversion play was brilliant in its simplicity and execution. For a decade UConn fans have watched other teams execute that play with ease while UConn struggled to do anything. What a joy to watch UConn execute that play.

This is the first moment this season that I felt was new ground for UConn as a program rather than just climbing back out of the ooze. It wasn't something that we've seen tried a million times but it was executed like we had.

ZT, and I still think he is not good, has improved to the point where he is not killing every drive with his slow decision making and inaccuracy. He killed a couple today, a bad placement on a third and short flare pattern and obviously the INT was horrible leading to a complete change in momentum.

He has also started making plays with more consistency, big plays, plays we've been wanting the OC to call for years. Not just bubble screens (those still suck) but deep balls and balls over the middle.

Still dangerous to call outs and crossing pattern for him and Charlton is doing a good job in picking out passing options that he can handle. I'm no longer looking for someone (anyone) to come off the bench because we can't pass the ball at all, even if we aren't necessarily passing consistently well.

The OL has been the main drive of this year's success more than anyone other than the schedule maker. They have been more than solid against some good defenses both in the run game and pass protection. Outside the early games against ranked teams, ZT has had time.

D has been good but subject to inconsistency, especially in the passing game. The off coverage was killing us again today, glad Mora adjusted by shading their #3 with an extra defender.

Liberty was a mid-level team (60ish) regardless of their record or poll ranking. It's a good win, the best of the year with a lot on the line. With further improvement in all areas, we should feel good that next year will bring a better team against what looks like another weak schedule. 6 must wins and 4 more possibles with only 2 unlikely/no shots (Tenn/NCSt)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Couple of notes after watching the highlights after coming home from the Rent:

1) Charlton and the offense do much better at the basics. Pound the rock. Today, we saw Fortin and Yakiri Walker as extra linemen. That was an effective tweak. They are forcing Millen into a gameplan and it keeps backfiring. I did like the flip from Hoiston to Zion but he had to loft the ball over a lineman and that gave Liberty the opportunity to recover. They tried it a second time and it got blown up because the end stayes ar home.
2) Robert Burns played like a man possessed. Sooo happy for him.

3) Mora magic. I was wondering how Eric Watts got pressure on their qb while in the middle of a 3 man line on the last drive. In watching the replay, he didn't rush until he saw the qb leave the pocket (basically a spy on qb) and then took off after him and forced quick throws and 3rd and 4th down. Brilliant scheming by Mora.
There are lots of games inside of games and Mora is a master at it. Charlton is learning as someone else posted, play progressions to set up later plays requires patience. Right now, Charlton is trying different things, but sometimes the basics do work better.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Couple of notes after watching the highlights after coming home from the Rent:

1) Charlton and the offense do much better at the basics. Pound the rock. Today, we saw Fortin and Yakiri Walker as extra linemen. That was an effective tweak. They are forcing Millen into a gameplan and it keeps backfiring. I did like the flip from Hoiston to Zion but he had to loft the ball over a lineman and that gave Liberty the opportunity to recover. They tried it a second time and it got blown up because the end stayes ar home.
2) Robert Burns played like a man possessed. Sooo happy for him.

3) Mora magic. I was wondering how Eric Watts got pressure on their qb while in the middle of a 3 man line on the last drive. In watching the replay, he didn't rush until he saw the qb leave the pocket (basically a spy on qb) and then took off after him and forced quick throws and 3rd and 4th down. Brilliant scheming by Mora.
There are lots of games inside of games and Mora is a master at it. Charlton is learning as someone else posted, play progressions to set up later plays requires patience. Right now, Charlton is trying different things, but sometimes the basics do work better.

I forgot to say that we don't need to play Millen anymore this season. All he does is make us predictable and court unnecessary disaster. ZT is just as good of a run option, even if I wouldn't call QB runs as a general rule. The 2nd throwback fooled no one and probably won't fool anyone else going forward. It's run it's course. Find another play that will misdirect the defense or just pitch the ball and run it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom