An ugly win is a win. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An ugly win is a win.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, this is a tough call. I think we will have more talent next year but less experienced. On the other hand can’t say that experience has directly translated into tangible positive metrics.

What are Metrics
Metrics are parameters or measures of quantitative assessment used for measurement, comparison, or to track performance or production.

Dead on Chief....

Reaction Score
‘Nova almost upset KU at the Phog.

We ain’t beating ‘Nova.

C

Chief00

What are Metrics
Metrics are parameters or measures of quantitative assessment used for measurement, comparison, or to track performance or production.

Dead on Chief....

I like Danny and I think it’s something we perhaps shouldn’t take at face value - but having an aggressive 2 hour practice on game day is insane. If Calhoun was going to do something crazy like that it would be after the game.
In fairness to Hurley this might have all been strategic and aimed at a particular player who he was disappointed in this week. We saw the ugly result and now will this built him up or tear him down further? I guess at this point it was worth rolling the dice.

Reaction Score
There have been plenty of seasons in which UConn has played cupcakes way too close and gone on to make the tourney. One has little to do with the other.

Indicative, but not foolproof is my honest opinion. The years with scores like 106-42 against the cupcakes tended to be powerhouse teams, while the lose to Northeastern and Wagner team never got going.

Reaction Score
I’ve always assumed @buddy was a troll but he might just be a miserable person. He is in no way a fan of any of the programs here.
One can be a fan and give an honest assessment, even if it is not stellar. In my opinion, there has not been much to cheer about lately with football, hockey and soccer having regressed. As for men's basketball, I agree that it will be back. But to say NCAA tourney this year, is a long shot.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
One can be a fan and give an honest assessment, even if it is not stellar. In my opinion, there has not been much to cheer about lately with football, hockey and soccer having regressed. As for men's basketball, I agree that it will be back. But to say NCAA tourney this year, is a long shot.

How honest was your assessment of whether or not Gilbert would ever contribute to the team again?

Reaction Score
How honest was your assessment of whether or not Gilbert would ever contribute to the team again?
The assessment was honest from my opinion based on the injury. Shoulder injuries are hard to recover from. I know from personal experience. I am happy that his shoulder seems better. I think he has a long way to go before he can be deemed a reliable scorer, shooter, distributor. He is good, no doubt. Maybe if he didn't have the shoulder injury he would be great. I didn't think UConn could rely on him to be the savior of this team, and I still don't. Sorry. Your opinion may be honest as well. Honest opinions don't necessarily translate into accurate opinions. That are just that opinions and assessments.

Reaction Score
When a team comes out with a stinker like that it's an opportunity for players and coaches to reflect on everything that played in to it. Hurley has clearly been playing the long game in his approach to the season. We should either start to see the payoff at this point or maybe it would be time to put more focus on what kind of preparation maximizes your performance for the next opponent. If you know track there's something called tapering. It seems we've been focused on toughening up our players and haven't shifted gears from that approach much. The demands of being a student, and the travel schedule dictate we take those things into consideration. Most of the guys that play big minutes looked a little worn out last night. The fact that they shot so poorly is another red flag for me. And the sloppy turnovers. It needs to be considered that Jalen wasn't the only guy out of sorts.

Hurley may turn out to be a great Coach but this is a new situation for him too.

I think this misses that they’re implementing an entire defensive approach that is tough to learn and new for all of them, not to mention working in guys like Wilson and Gilbert that have not played much basketball recently and trying to fix bad habits. There’s more going on then just “toughening up the players.”

And as for next year... who knows? But, recruiting guys for your system and having them develop within it is when you start to see the most positive change. But, no one is looking past this season.

Reaction Score
I think this misses that they’re implementing an entire defensive approach that is tough to learn and new for all of them, not to mention working in guys like Wilson and Gilbert that have not played much basketball recently and trying to fix bad habits. There’s more going on then just “toughening up the players.”

And as for next year... who knows? But, recruiting guys for your system and having them develop within it is when you start to see the most positive change. But, no one is looking past this season.

I don't believe Danny is looking past this season. My opinion (just speculation) is that he's playing a longer game where the process involves driving home concepts and positive work habits. But when you hammer the guys on gameday, it's not surprising they don't look particularly sharp on the court a few hours later. I'd be surprised if that doesn't change because there's a risk in extending the pre-season grinding mentality too far into the regular season. I think he realizes this,.

Reaction Score
I don't believe Danny is looking past this season. My opinion (just speculation) is that he's playing a longer game where the process involves driving home concepts and positive work habits. But when you hammer the guys on gameday, it's not surprising they don't look particularly sharp on the court a few hours later. I'd be surprised if that doesn't change because there's a risk in extending the pre-season grinding mentality too far into the regular season. I think he realizes this,.

Not sure I understand. This is his ninth year leading a college program. I think he’s worked out that balance by now. What is the staff doing on game day that you think should change?

Reaction Score
We have to have the Nova win to make the tourney realistically right? I mean we’re not running the AAC.

Reaction Score
We have to have the Nova win to make the tourney realistically right? I mean we’re not running the AAC.
We’l have other opportunities. Houston and Cincy for starters both look like top 30-40 teams. Temple is pretty good as well. Nova isn’t a MUST win for the tourney. But it’d help

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom