An Army Without Honor | The Boneyard

An Army Without Honor

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What a cowardly move to salvage a winning season. Leadership at the academy realized the football team was going to be bludgeoned by a cheating scandal. No, the cadets were only accused and the process wasn't finished. They could all be exonerated.

What is known is the academy had a long-standing policy that anyone accused of honor code violations was to be removed from any public events, including sporting games. One month before the scandal broke the academy superintendent changed that policy allowing up to 17 accused football players to remain eligible beyond Nov 30th when the report came out.

West Point cheating scandal involves football players in Liberty Bowl (usatoday.com)

Reaction Score
What a cowardly move to salvage a winning season. Leadership at the academy realized the football team was going to be bludgeoned by a cheating scandal. No, the cadets were only accused and the process wasn't finished. They could all be exonerated.

What is known is the academy had a long-standing policy that anyone accused of honor code violations was to be removed from any public events, including sporting games. One month before the scandal broke the academy superintendent changed that policy allowing up to 17 accused football players to remain eligible beyond Nov 30th when the report came out.

West Point cheating scandal involves football players in Liberty Bowl (usatoday.com)
Seems like the Academy is preparing for an ACC invite.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
Stating our Army that has over 1 million active, reserve, and national guard Soldiers is without honor is a bold assertion. Especially since you seem to base it on, as you say, the "cowardly move" by the West Point superintendent to allow 53 mostly freshmen scholar athletes to finish their first semester, only 17 of whom are football players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stating our Army that has over 1 million active, reserve, and national guard Soldiers is without honor is a bold assertion. Especially since you seem to base it on, as you say, the "cowardly move" by the West Point superintendent to allow 53 mostly freshmen scholar athletes to finish their first semester, only 17 of whom are football players.

Well, this is the football board, so it kinds of goes to reason that the reference was to the USMA and it's honor code which is written in stone at the academy.

But, if you need further clarification, yes, my OP was referencing the USMA and its leadership.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings on this. An accusation is not a fact and until adjudicated it seems wholly incongruent with our basic principles of fairness that someone be punished without due process, or that a particular class (athletes) bear inequitable treatment relatives to others . Hell, that’s the reason we go and fight around the world in many cases and expect people to put their lives as risk.. for Liberty and freedom from oppression and arbitrary punishment. On the other hand, discipline is essential to a well functioning military, and integrity is critical when one is charged with wielding the might of the US Army. I don’t think this is cut and dry like to make it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Too funny! Just before I hit post I was going to ask if the OP "might be a Navy man". Knowing the answer, of course. No worries, we all hate the AFA!

I posted that knowing he was too. Haha.

Reaction Score
The Academies are nothing without their honor codes so I doubt West Point put football ahead of due process. At least I hope not

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Too funny! Just before I hit post I was going to ask if the OP "might be a Navy man". Knowing the answer, of course. No worries, we all hate the AFA!
I posted that knowing he was too. Haha.

If I had seen the article about Navy, I may have brought it up. Truth be told, I have no affection or animosity for those at the academies of any service.

It does look like Army turned a blind eye and it was skewed way towards athletes, not just football. And they lowered their standards to keep them playing.

Navy appears to be class wide as every student who is a sophomore has to take the class. But, if they cheated, I hope they give them the maximum "example" allowed.

And I have a few friends who are USAFA.

But those Coasties from the USCG???? They're the worsterest.

Reaction Score
This is nothing new. These cheating scandals pop up every now and again. It just shows how hard it is to maintain the standards that the academies follow.

BTW, do NOT insult the entire US Army because of the actions of a minority of academy students. The title of this thread says more about the poster than it does abut the Army.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it was pretty obvious this was a reference to West Point or as it is colloquially known, Army. And if they indeed kept the review quiet until after the football season, well shame on them but probably not for the first time.

Reaction Score
Chin is retired Navy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, this is the football board, so it kinds of goes to reason that the reference was to the USMA and it's honor code which is written in stone at the academy.

But, if you need further clarification, yes, my OP was referencing the USMA and its leadership.
This is nothing new. These cheating scandals pop up every now and again. It just shows how hard it is to maintain the standards that the academies follow.

BTW, do NOT insult the entire US Army because of the actions of a minority of academy students. The title of this thread says more about the poster than it does abut the Army.

You still suck at reading comprehension.

Reaction Score
And that's why Marines are under the Dept of the Navy. Learn to read and you can become your own service.

Well...the Navy needed a few thugs to protect the sailer boys......

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well...the Navy needed a few thugs to protect the sailer boys......

Go eat a crayon.

main-qimg-f600a58007be1578aa55da2a02dfe9ca.cf.png

Reaction Score
Hey..I did spend some time on board with the swabbies....out of Key West, my team boarded a sub...practiced ingress and recovery on Vieques, near Puerto Rico. As the sub emerged, we had to stay on her back...so that we were on the deck when it was completely surfaced (no mean feat as water cascades off). Spent time on a Tin Can...while based at the UDT base at Coronado (now Seal), we had to run missions at night into the coast south of LA...sending a team onto shore and performing inland patrols taking us back into Camp Pendleton's range. A few days on a carrier...jumped out of a two engined plane we had to duck walk out of...All in all...I admit, nothing beat Navy chow...And I have eaten Marine chow, Army chow.....but Navy was a cut above.

Reaction Score
And...I am a very senior Old Salt..., Shellback, and Golden Dragon....my Shellback card from Davy Jones reads 1947...crossed the international date line and the equator on a naval vessel in route to Guam as an infant...father and mother shipped over by Navy.

No pollywog here!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
When I went to Army boot camp in 1989 I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. The problem was the drill sergeants gave us 1 minute to eat. We often barfed it up during post-chow PT anyway.

After 8 years enlisted I went to Officer Candidate School. I never met a West Point guy who wasn't a DB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom