Amy Poffenbarger Clarification | The Boneyard

Amy Poffenbarger Clarification

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
From this morning's Frederick News Post opinion page (Letter to the Editor):

"It is important to note why Saylor transferred from UConn. It was not because of UConn’s lack of academic excellence or inadequate campus life. UConn is a phenomenal academic institution. She transferred because it was not the best fit for her or what Saylor needed from her college experience."

"...Saylor transitioned from high school to college early, which can be challenging at any time — but especially during a pandemic. Saylor and the Poffenbarger family are thankful for the opportunity UConn provided for her, and we are excited to find the institution that is the best fit for her moving forward."

I am not saying Amy was quoted out of context in the previous story, but at a minimum she is clarifying what she meant.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have a daughter on campus, the place is world's away from a fun atmosphere with all the continuing restrictions. Add to that the time commitment and cloistered living the team experiences and a party school with no Covid restrictions in the SEC looks like a nice option for those seeking a social life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

"It is important to note why Saylor transferred from UConn. It was not because of UConn’s lack of academic excellence or inadequate campus life. UConn is a phenomenal academic institution. She transferred because it was not the best fit for her or what Saylor needed from her college experience."

"...Saylor transitioned from high school to college early, which can be challenging at any time — but especially during a pandemic. Saylor and the Poffenbarger family are thankful for the opportunity UConn provided for her, and we are excited to find the institution that is the best fit for her moving forward."

I am not saying Amy was quoted out of context in the previous story, but at a minimum she is clarifying what she meant.
Or, alternatively, she reads The Boneyard and realized that her parting shot at UConn needlessly cost her daughter some goodwill.

Reaction Score

The academic standards at UCONN appears to have changed considerably since Fraulein Poffenbarger sayled out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let this be a lesson. No clarifications after a topic has died down. :oops:
Nah, people have long memories. She was smart to walk back her statements, though it could have been done a little more gracefully.

Still, I view the whole thing is as a tempest in a teapot. In the modern era there is a tendency among some parents to want to assign blame whenever something goes wrong for their kids. Frankly, it’s best for parents of adult children not to be making statements on their children’s behalf, but if she absolutely felt the need to do so the smart play would’ve been something along the lines of “Saylor really enjoyed her time at the University of Connecticut. She made great friends and loved her experience there, but at this point we thought it made sense to explore other options for her. She sends her appreciation to the great Connecticut fans and looks forward to this next chapter in her life.”

You see the same tendency with some people when they leave a job and fire off a parting shot before they leave. It may be gratifying in the moment, but it’s foolish. The world is a very small place and much of what happens in it takes place in the margins.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As has been posted elsewhere (I believe), there could be an entirely different reason for her departure and we will never know what it is.

Reaction Score
Or they are aware of what was said on Twitter. Regardless, good that she clarified/walked back what was said.
It was a crappy year to be a new college student, particularly a mid-year one. And thus I'm not surprised some found classes and the environment to not be particularly engaging and struggled.

Reaction Score
Or, alternatively, she reads The Boneyard and realized that her parting shot at UConn needlessly cost her daughter some goodwill.
Mom's are the greatest asset any human may have. Sometimes, Moms get emotional about their kids--for that I say hurrah. Saylor is blessed with a caring mom. Way too many kids, even if only 10 in the world, don't have that blessing. I've got to say I am still a Saylor fan. I really sorry I won't see her at her best because I'm a Homey--Uconn or no one. I'll miss her.

Reaction Score
The academic standards at UCONN appears to have changed considerably since Fraulein Poffenbarger sayled out.
Ask those who compare Stanford to Uconn Academically, then stand back. I'm a Uconn Homey. Even if I could make the cut of Stanford I'd still choose UConn. Different strokes for different folks. I didn't care much for Palo Alto or environs.

Reaction Score
But, with the exploding number of transfers in the portal, in Palo Alto she could create a transfer app that would include suggested comments for the player and various members of her/his family to release, along with links for the schools and players looking for specific opportunities, and then sell it to ESPNW and go on to developing the next app.......you know, rinse and repeat.

Reaction Score
Ask those who compare Stanford to Uconn Academically, then stand back. I'm a Uconn Homey. Even if I could make the cut of Stanford I'd still choose UConn. Different strokes for different folks. I didn't care much for Palo Alto or environs.
??
I do not understand your post at all.

I read here that academically UCONN was not super engaging (whatever that means) when Poffenbarger was a student but has become a good academic institution after she had left.

Reaction Score
There is a different between the west and the east but one isn’t better than the other. I grew up in the west (Colorado), went to graduate school in the Midwest (Iowa), and lived for 3 1/2 years in the Finger Lakes region of New York. I never felt at home in Midwest and East. One of the chief reasons Colorado left the Big 12 for the now Pac-12 was people in Colorado, especially in Boulder, were more west coast oriented. As you say, different strokes. How this effects recruiting is an open question.

Reaction Score
??
I do not understand your post at all.

I read here that academically UCONN was not super engaging (whatever that means) when Poffenbarger was a student but has become a good academic institution after she had left.
Some kids like Profs/Student Assistants to engage students --i.e. interacting with them during lectures (my favorite form of teaching, others prefer to listen and learn. As I said different strokes. As for my Stanford comment: Academically, with facilities and highly paid staffs Stanford provides a more "in-depth" education. Personally, I cannot fault Saylor for transferring. I know none of the details and actually choose not to learn them. I seriously doubt that Saylor's attendance or lack there of impacts Uconn significantly. She's a kid. With me as the rare exception, all kids generally, react to situations as kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom