Amore - UConn Men Notebook: Dan Hurley Challenging Huskies To Bring It Every Day | The Boneyard

Amore - UConn Men Notebook: Dan Hurley Challenging Huskies To Bring It Every Day

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good read. Makes me excited about the game plan, and also tempers my expectations for this season because I wonder how many of these players can be conditioned to do what it requires. For some reason, I am most concerned about Jalen's ability to adapt to it; if he doesn't, it won't work, no matter how many others do.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
"It’s a demanding style but once you learn it, there’s no other way you’re going to want to play. "

While that quote certainly excites me, I think it also highlights a stark difference in philosophy between our new coach and our HOF legend. While both are unforgiving taskmasters I see a distinct difference between JC's and Hurley's approaches. To a large extent, JC designed a strategy and style based on the skills and talents of his squad (mostly on the skillset of the most dominant players, obviously), whereas Hurley favors a specific style and wants to mold his players to that style.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"It’s a demanding style but once you learn it, there’s no other way you’re going to want to play. "

While that quote certainly excites me, I think it also highlights a stark difference in philosophy between our new coach and our HOF legend. While both are unforgiving taskmasters I see a distinct difference between JC's and Hurley's approaches. To a large extent, JC designed a strategy and style based on the skills and talents of his squad (mostly on the skillset of the most dominant players, obviously), whereas Hurley favors a specific style and wants to mold his players to that style.
Good point. Full court pressure always sounded great in theory and came to define what we initially thought of as JC's style, but over the years it became more the exception than the rule when we seldom had a full squad that was cut out for it.

pj

Reaction Score

I don't know. JC recruited guys to fit a style of play he wanted to play. That style evolved. When he was an underdog at Northeastern and then in early years at UConn, he preached pressure defense and transition because he didn't have the talent to match up in a halfcourt battle so he had to change the game. Once he could recruit top talent, he evolved into a half-court focused game. For a while he was getting top perimeter guys but not top big men (1990s), and could never break through to the Final Four until 1999. After the championship and Emeka's surprise emergence, he started getting top big men and began to focus on an interior game and shot-blocking defenses. He went overboard on the big men and some guard-deficient rosters, aggravated by suspensions and injuries to AJ Price and Dyson, cost him a few championships.

So I'd say JC always favored a specific style and recruited guys for that style and molded them to it once here, but his style evolved several times as his rising stature opened recruiting opportunities for him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good read. Makes me excited about the game plan, and also tempers my expectations for this season because I wonder how many of these players can be conditioned to do what it requires. For some reason, I am most concerned about Jalen's ability to adapt to it; if he doesn't, it won't work, no matter how many others do.

Strange, of the returning guys who've played, I seem the least worried about Jalen. Kid has been DYING to be coached.

I think Hurley's structure is going to be the best thing that ever happened to him. He's so talented, that the process of adapting won't be that difficult, because he wants to do it.

From the sound of it, Carlton and Sid seem to be the slowest to adjust.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good point. Full court pressure always sounded great in theory and came to define what we initially thought of as JC's style, but over the years it became more the exception than the rule when we seldom had a full squad that was cut out for it.

We aren't going to be playing a full court press this year, if that's what you were saying.

Reaction Score
Kid has been DYING to be coached.

I think Hurley's structure is going to be the best thing that ever happened to him. He's so talented, that the process of adapting won't be that difficult, because he wants to do it.
Your first line made me sick to my stomach. That is one of the saddest and most infuriating things ive read on this board. Jalens future success will be a monument to KOs failure and that saddens me. To think you have a kid who wants to be great but its the coach that doesnt measure up is sickening. I absolutely love DHs attitude and i know its going to payoff. Cant wait for the season and cant wait to see them live on the 15th at MSG!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Strange, of the returning guys who've played, I seem the least worried about Jalen. Kid has been DYING to be coached.

From the sound of it, Carlton and Sid seem to be the slowest to adjust.
We aren't going to be playing a full court press this year, if that's what you were saying.
Your first line made me sick to my stomach. That is one of the saddest and most infuriating things ive read on this board. Jalens future success will be a monument to KOs failure and that saddens me. To think you have a kid who wants to be great but its the coach that doesnt measure up is sickening. I absolutely love DHs attitude and i know its going to payoff. Cant wait for the season and cant wait to see them live on the 15th at MSG!

This is what I'm talking about, and my concern about Jalen has to do with his focus and periods of "lethargy," as well as his attitude when things aren't going well. Today's new hasn't help ease that concern:

Hurley is implementing his defensive system, which features man-to-man, ball pressure and a lot of science.“There are very strict rules on where you want the ball to go,” he said, “where you want to funnel the ball and certain passes you don’t want to allow so you can keep pressure on the opponent. There is a lot more science to it, understanding where you need to be in relation to the ball and your man, knowing how to guard every time of screening action.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chaos is the great equalizer. When you are overmanned chaos gives you a chance. Once JC got the personnel he wanted he was selective in how he chose to utilize pressure. The man was master at taking away what the other team wanted to do.

As I understand Hurley's system, he applies pressure relentlessly but selectively. He doesn't want players gambling on steals but he does want to pressure the ball every minute. That sounds to me to be a very Calhoun-like philosophy of taking the opposing team out its comfort zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom