Amore: Rodney Purvis Is Huskies' Goodwill Ambassador | The Boneyard

Amore: Rodney Purvis Is Huskies' Goodwill Ambassador

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Purvis, who came to UConn as a transfer and had to sit out the 2013-14 season, can answer nearly any question a visitor can have. The pitch comes from the heart.

"First, I'm going to tell them it's hard work," he said, "a whole lot of hard work, and secondly, which is the most important, is growth. It's not going to happen fast. It's going to take you some time, but when it's your time, you're going to be ready; you're going to be prepared for it. There are going to be guys at your position every single day that are just as talented as you. If you want to come somewhere and get better ... you're going to have that opportunity."

"… And if you're a smart guy, and the NBA is what you want to get to, with this coaching staff — I'm not talking down about any program in America, but you've got a guy here who played in the NBA, who's young, who still hops in on practices and drills, he's the resource. He can tell you what you need, what they're looking for, what they're not looking for. I mean if the NBA is your goal, then Kevin Ollie is your guy."

http://cour.at/1LdBjJE

Last edited:

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Purv and Drummond are our greatest ambassadors currently and they do a fantastic job representing our school on and off the court.

Rodney Purvis is to Recruits as Rick Fox was to Jessus Shuttlesworth
ray.allen.rick.fox.he.got.game.jpg

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Looks like this is his last year. I'm glad he and and Sterling will get a year with Jalen to help him grow. We could potentially be losing all of Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, and Brimah after this year. Signing Diallo and Gilbert and adding another big will ease that transition.

But I love how much Purv loves UConn. He's such a great ambassador and I'm looking at him to have a big year if he's gonna graduate and make the jump to the NBA.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Great stuff. Finally a good off-season read from one of the hoarde.

Everything we've seen lately from Purvis has shown he's ready for this coming year. He started to show his upside in the AAC tournament and he's continued to do everything right this off-season. I think he is going to have a monster season.

Reaction Score
Cant wait for the first time we see his trolling smile after a big play. If I were playing against Purvis, I think it would be very hard to maintain composure and not smack him in the face

Reaction Score
really happy rodney is on the team and growing into that leadership role. also, good to hear about all the bonding going on! seems like a good portent for next season. we are gonna be great.

Reaction Score
What I love is that he realizes how important it is to make the new guys feel comfortable and how big chemistry is. That is more rare than people think. Looks like RP and AB as captains next year?

Reaction Score
After last year's inconsistency I never batted an eye about Purvis potentially leaving after his junior year. However, someone on the BY mentioned his age, which changed my thinking. By the time the 2016 draft rolls around, Purvo is gonna be 22 years old. Huge decision for him. I hope he has a great year and declares. This kid exemplifies everything you could want in a Husky.

Reaction Score
I can't be any more excited about UCONN basketball for '15-16' than I am after reading this article. We knew we have the talent, and saw hints that the team is starting to mesh and get along well. This article is straight from Rodney's mouth that they are all focused on working together towards a common goal to win a championship and leave their mark at UConn. I love the way this team is coming together, and think they will be capable of special things this winter.

Reaction Score
After last year's inconsistency I never batted an eye about Purvis potentially leaving after his junior year. However, someone on the BY mentioned his age, which changed my thinking. By the time the 2016 draft rolls around, Purvo is gonna be 22 years old. Huge decision for him. I hope he has a great year and declares. This kid exemplifies everything you could want in a Husky.

I don't think he will leave after next season. He's graduating next May because he is a senior academically. Unless he has an absolutely nasty year, I think he'll enroll in UConn grad school and play his senior season.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I don't think he will leave after next season. He's graduating next May because he is a senior academically. Unless he has an absolutely nasty year, I think he'll enroll in UConn grad school and play his senior season.
Agreed - he would have to make a huge jump next season for him to consider leaving for the NBA. Now that we have Gibbs and Miller in the fold Purvis won't be asked to shoulder as much of the scoring load as we initially thought.

Reaction Score
Purvis' situation is a win-win for UConn fans. Either we should have him 2 more years, or he plays lights out and makes the NBA next year. Either scenario would be thrilling. I do, however, think he will play lights out this year. I'm just thrilled for him to be a part of UConn.

Reaction Score
More often than not, when a player indicates they want to finish their studies and graduate early, that means they really have no intention of playing another year of college basketball.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Can't worry about that right now. The team appears to be poised for a deep run, but there are more moving parts than just Purvis. Miller, Gibbs, Omar and Phil are definitely gone. Hamilton is a possibility and Brimah has an outside shot (not literally) of turning pro. Let next year take care of next year.

Reaction Score
Guys who were consensus top 20 recruits don't typically spend 5 years in college, Purvis mentioned graduating this spring for a reason. With his lack of size and length relative to his position I don't think Purvis is a great NBA prospect(shortcomings in his game could be overlooked if he came out on the plus end in those 2 areas), but I think he's gone if he and the team have a good to great year. Its really no different than DeAndre, he was considered a highly regarded prospect out of HS, ended up doing 4 years out of HS(1 post grad year and 3 years of college), and was 22 by the end of his junior year, he was ready to leave. When he declared Jeff Borzello said after talking to him after the Sweet 16 game that he got the impression that DD had already made up his mind before the season that this was his last year.

Reaction Score
More often than not, when a player indicates they want to finish their studies and graduate early, that means they really have no intention of playing another year of college basketball.

Yes I understand that. But he's not graduating early. This is his fourth year in college. It takes four years to complete college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom