Amore: Alterique Gilbert The Heart Of UConn Recruiting Class | The Boneyard

Amore: Alterique Gilbert The Heart Of UConn Recruiting Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-alterique-gibson-uconn-recruit-0201-20160129-story.html

Gilbert is more the pure point guard than anyone the Huskies have now, but he can score from anywhere, and the thought of him pairing up with Jalen Adams, who will be a sophomore next season, conjures up visions of the Shabazz Napier-Ryan Boatright tandem.

"It's going to be fun," Ollie says, "… Alterique is a break-down guard. The things he does with the ball are just incredible sometimes. He reminds me of a Kemba [Walker]. Now, he's not Kemba yet, but just his break-down ability. You cannot stay in front of him. I mean, you can't. He might play around with the ball a little bit, but when he breaks you down, it's just unbelievable. He's a push guard. He's going to run that fastbreak."

Reaction Score
Driving to the basket hasn't been their problem. It's driving to the basket and then actually finishing that has. Never saw so many missed layups in my life.

True true. They just throw up a ton of ugly 3s

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Driving to the basket hasn't been their problem. It's driving to the basket and then actually finishing that has. Never saw so many missed layups in my life.
Ya, but who can actually take their man of the dribble whenever they want to, without getting stripped. Consistently only Adams. AG will be a welcome addition, his skillset is sorely lacking this current squad, especially for the offensive scheme Ollie has us running.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-alterique-gibson-uconn-recruit-0201-20160129-story.html

Gilbert is more the pure point guard than anyone the Huskies have now, but he can score from anywhere, and the thought of him pairing up with Jalen Adams, who will be a sophomore next season, conjures up visions of the Shabazz Napier-Ryan Boatright tandem.

"It's going to be fun," Ollie says, "… Alterique is a break-down guard. The things he does with the ball are just incredible sometimes. He reminds me of a Kemba [Walker]. Now, he's not Kemba yet, but just his break-down ability. You cannot stay in front of him. I mean, you can't. He might play around with the ball a little bit, but when he breaks you down, it's just unbelievable. He's a push guard. He's going to run that fastbreak."

God we need this kind of player. Like right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

A lot of people rip Dyson on here for some reason, but man that kid could score (flush) the basketball at the rim.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie has two years with the players we have coming in to save his job and the program. If he can't win we these players, we need a change. Everyone's getting on Kentucky and Duke for having bad seasons this year. Their bad seasons are our good seasons in recent years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A lot of people rip Dyson on here for some reason, but man that kid could score (flush) the basketball at the rim.
ONE Dyson on this team would make a world of difference

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Disagree. Yeah they can drive no problem on the occasional opponents defensive lapse or fast break but I see no attempt to search for an opening or lane and drive through it
That's what is needed - a true point guard and a LEADER

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ollie has two years with the players we have coming in to save his job and the program. If he can't win we these players, we need a change. Everyone's getting on Kentucky and Duke for having bad seasons this year. Their bad seasons are our good seasons in recent years.

You mean when UK missed the tournament the year after they won it?

After being handed recruiting sanctions (handcuffs) and a post season ban, a HOF coaching transition, being relegated to a crap conference, and along with simply winning the whole ducking thing in 2014, Ollie deserves more than that.

If this is your timeline, you'll never find a coach you are happy with. Ever. Unless the next K walks in the door ready made.

Reaction Score
Kentucky and Duke have been national champions during their bad seasons? That's amazing.

Reaction Score
Wow! Sounds like you already want to show KO the door. I think next year is going to be a very good one and the following might be even better.

KO finally has the team adjusted defensively to the new rules and officiating. They are among the best defensive teams in the nation. Offensively in the half court they have been dreadful. I think next years recruiting class, along with those who return will be a formidable group and following year where the 2016 class has a year under their belt along with some talented 2017 recruits could be very special.

If Zach Brown is able to classify and AB returns, our front court will be big and deep. I think the future looks bright for KO and UConn. I am a bit disappointed with KO's coaching our half-court offense. Either they're not being prepared well or he's not getting their attention during the games. They execute slowly or poorly for long stretches of time. The talent is too good to be playing so poorly, though they lack a go-to scorer, like Kemba, Bazz, Boatright, etc. who can take over and quell any scoring drought or make big time shots during winning time. But getting back to Ollie, with all young coaches, they are learning and improving. I have a lot of confidence in KO, but believe he could be doing a better job. I hope he has a long run at UConn but grows as a coach. People seem to forget that JC got better as time went along. It wasn't just getting more talent. It's getting more out of the talent you have, and I think KO will get better and better each year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wow! Sounds like you already want to show KO the door. I think next year is going to be a very good one and the following might be even better.

KO finally has the team adjusted defensively to the new rules and officiating. They are among the best defensive teams in the nation. Offensively in the half court they have been dreadful. I think next years recruiting class, along with those who return will be a formidable group and following year where the 2016 class has a year under their belt along with some talented 2017 recruits could be very special.

If Zach Brown is able to classify and AB returns, our front court will be big and deep. I think the future looks bright for KO and UConn. I am a bit disappointed with KO's coaching our half-court offense. Either they're not being prepared well or he's not getting their attention during the games. They execute slowly or poorly for long stretches of time. The talent is too good to be playing so poorly, though they lack a go-to scorer, like Kemba, Bazz, Boatright, etc. who can take over and quell any scoring drought or make big time shots during winning time. But getting back to Ollie, with all young coaches, they are learning and improving. I have a lot of confidence in KO, but believe he could be doing a better job. I hope he has a long run at UConn but grows as a coach. People seem to forget that JC got better as time went along. It wasn't just getting more talent. It's getting more out of the talent you have, and I think KO will get better and better each year.
If Adams and hamilton run the offense and miller gets a touch every time down I think it will improve

C

Chief00

One reason we have trouble finishing is Purvis can't use his left hand and is 50% from the line.

Reaction Score
One reason we have trouble finishing is Purvis can't use his left hand and is 50% from the line.
Yeah Purvis is probably the only player that goes hard to the basket consistently, but he has no left, and it's weird, it seems like once he gets to the rim the power of the drive goes away. Jalen has started going hard to the rim, and I think we can expect him to do that often, thats the player he is, kinda similar to Melo Trimble. Not the shooter he is, but also a better athlete than him. Gilbert has the Kemba/Boat reckless abandonment play style at the rim, can't wait for him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was an uplifting look at a promising future player who seems to be a quality person.
Then the usual happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3