Amidah Brimah | The Boneyard

Amidah Brimah

Reaction Score
Well, we can still hold out hope for Amida. Sorry to hear about the other guy.

Reaction Score
Amida's best bet is to go overseas now and make bigger money than the D League offers. Just don't think the NBA is in his future so go make some money and entertain the fans in Europe or thereabouts.

Reaction Score

With his frame, I think it would be best for him to try to find his midrange jumper and extend his range from there, a la Serge Ibaka.

Brimah’s past comments about jump shooting being ‘soft’ are ridiculous. Being a multi dimensional offensive threat is so important in today’s game. Weak side rim protection and a jumper are enough to keep a lot of guys in the league.

Best of luck to Brimah. You know he’s going to keep grinding.

Reaction Score
Really rooting for Brimah. Fully expected him to get cut from the Spurs though.

Reaction Score
Amida's best bet is to go overseas now and make bigger money than the D League offers. Just don't think the NBA is in his future so go make some money and entertain the fans in Europe or thereabouts.
Disagree, a year in Austin would be good for his development, but more importantly there's no chance that group of Spurs bigs will stay healthy this year. He'll see himself with some lucrative 10-day contracts almost certainly

Reaction Score
Disagree, a year in Austin would be good for his development, but more importantly there's no chance that group of Spurs bigs will stay healthy this year. He'll see himself with some lucrative 10-day contracts almost certainly

1 year? I hope you're right but that's not enough time to improve the way he needs to physically, mentally and skill wise to be in that league.

Reaction Score
1 year? I hope you're right but that's not enough time to improve the way he needs to physically, mentally and skill wise to be in that league.
Well as Chief let us know, we didn't have a competent strength or bigs coach while he was here, so perhaps a year with both in the G League will be enough.

Reaction Score
Well as Chief let us know, we didn't have a competent strength or bigs coach while he was here, so perhaps a year with both in the G League will be enough.

Again here's hoping but he did get a lot bigger form his freshman year I fear his body type won't allow too much but like you said, if on the roster in the DL then maybe easier for a 10 day contract. But I'm more of the thought he'd be a fan and team favorite over the Atlantic and could make some nice coin and get some playing time too. We'll see, just hope he doesn't wait too long.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Guy has zero shot at NBA. I wish him well overseas.

Have you seen some of the rosters with some real stiffs. So he has a chance down the line, especially if he can make a mid range shot

Reaction Score
NBA is too much of a long shot. There are too many parts of his game that need work. Amida would be better off cashing in overseas.

Reaction Score
Take the UConn colored glasses off and get serious.
I seen a number of bigs hanging around the NBA with far less athletic ability and minimally better basketball skills and strength . Improve your strength and hands and work your butt off . To say it’s impossible is extremely naiave.

Reactions: pj

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I love Amida, and I'm rooting for him to do well. I want to be clear about that. However...if he makes the NBA on anything more than a few 10-day contracts, it will be an enormous indictment on our coaching staff. Dude could barely stay on the court against AAC opponents, and developed very little in his time here. I hope he makes it, but at the same time it'll make our coaching staff look really bad.

Reaction Score
I love Amida, and I'm rooting for him to do well. I want to be clear about that. However...if he makes the NBA on anything more than a few 10-day contracts, it will be an enormous indictment on our coaching staff. Dude could barely stay on the court against AAC opponents, and developed very little in his time here. I hope he makes it, but at the same time it'll make our coaching staff look really bad.
Or a late bloomer who finally spent most of his free time working to improve his game

pj

Reaction Score
Or a late bloomer who finally spent most of his free time working to improve his game

If Amida makes the NBA, it'll make UConn coaches look great. They found him, they got him a national championship, and they gave him a chance at the NBA. Nobody but a few bitter UConn fans will care that Amida earned his NBA roster spot in 6 years rather than 4.

Reaction Score

Seriously does anyone believe they didn't coach this guy still after watching? Are we as fans that hard on Ollie and Miller to think he didn't improve because of them? I mean guys improve with crappier coaching staffs because they work on their own to do so and they're smart enough to know what they need to improve and they work on it. Some don't grasp the game enough to learn, hmmmm.

Can we stop the talk of AB and the staff. I doubt he will ever make more than a 10 day and I'd be amazed if that happened, but big guys aren't as easy to find as guards and forwards I do realize that. But this guy for the sake of his livelihood and financial being should go to Europe and see if that helps him make it back, he's not even close to an NBA player. Even the so-called "stiffs" can pick someone, push someone, foul someone hard and stay on their feet. What can anyone actually see this guy doing there as of now?

Reaction Score
I'm not optimistic. Brimah has a difficult time staying on his feet. Oddly enough, he runs very well. He's just a clutz. Maybe he should take ballet and yoga.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Seriously does anyone believe they didn't coach this guy still after watching? Are we as fans that hard on Ollie and Miller to think he didn't improve because of them? I mean guys improve with crappier coaching staffs because they work on their own to do so and they're smart enough to know what they need to improve and they work on it. Some don't grasp the game enough to learn, hmmmm.

Can we stop the talk of AB and the staff. I doubt he will ever make more than a 10 day and I'd be amazed if that happened, but big guys aren't as easy to find as guards and forwards I do realize that. But this guy for the sake of his livelihood and financial being should go to Europe and see if that helps him make it back, he's not even close to an NBA player. Even the so-called "stiffs" can pick someone, push someone, foul someone hard and stay on their feet. What can anyone actually see this guy doing there as of now?

Well, that's my point. If he suddenly makes it into the NBA as a rotational player and can stay on the court for a few minutes a game without costing his team, then that means he will have improved tremendously, which is something he never did here at UConn. From watching Amida, the one thing you can't say about him is that he doesn't give maximum effort, so I would put it more on the fact that the coaching staff wasn't able to get through to him.

Reaction Score
Well, that's my point. If he suddenly makes it into the NBA as a rotational player and can stay on the court for a few minutes a game without costing his team, then that means he will have improved tremendously, which is something he never did here at UConn. From watching Amida, the one thing you can't say about him is that he doesn't give maximum effort, so I would put it more on the fact that the coaching staff wasn't able to get through to him.

Agree always max'd out on effort never would take that away from the kid. Almost feel bad he didn't become more right, I mean he was a UConn kid loved the school and his team, passion always there.

C

Chief00

With his frame, I think it would be best for him to try to find his midrange jumper and extend his range from there, a la Serge Ibaka.

Brimah’s past comments about jump shooting being ‘soft’ are ridiculous. Being a multi dimensional offensive threat is so important in today’s game. Weak side rim protection and a jumper are enough to keep a lot of guys in the league.

Best of luck to Brimah. You know he’s going to keep grinding.

I wish him well, unfortunately he just doesn’t seem to have the basketball instincts or understandings to measurably improve his game. I have never seen such a cheerful hard worker accomplish so little. For Brimah to turn it around that riddle needs to be unwrapped.

Reaction Score
I hate threads like this because the handful of over-exuberant posters who think he can play in the NBA give the usual crowd the license to bash him all over again.

He's not going to play in the NBA, ever. I suppose it's somewhat within the realm of possibility that he could get a ten day contract or find himself playing minutes during one of these game 82 spectacles at some point, but for all intents and purposes he is not good enough to play on an NBA roster. This isn't a case where somebody's game translates better to the NBA than college - if anything, the presence of a defensive three seconds will complicate things for him. Perhaps his abilities as a rim runner will be amplified, but even then he's not the type of freak athlete with superb body control and hands that typically slides into that role. For as good as he was in that capacity, he really needed those lobs to be spoon-fed to him - that's why those plays diminished in volume against good competition and when D-Ham left.

But he was a good, if unreliable college player whose presence on an NBA preseason roster should illuminate his redeeming values that were never recognized to their full capacity at UConn. Time will tell whether that was an example of bad coaching. My optimistic impression is that Ollie wanted to play a certain way and Brimah was simply a bad fit, and that moving forward he has worked to identify players who will fit better in our schemes. That doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly frustrating as a fan to watch him flounder at the same things, but I can respect it if Ollie is a guy who values the macro progression over the extraction of slightly better short term results. It's the central debate confronting this program right now and I don't think anybody represented that more than Brimah. That's why he's so polarizing and that's why I think, regardless of what happens moving forward, that he got the short end of the stick from some fans here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom