Amerikaners in der Bundesliga | The Boneyard

Amerikaners in der Bundesliga

Reaction Score
The linked article leaves out some Amerikaner in the top level of the Bundesliga, although the comments to the article do mention a couple. Julian Green is with VfL Stuttgart who were promoted to 1st division this year. Tim Chandler usually starts at Eintracht Frankfurt. There is also an American youngster at Schalke, Weston McKennie. There is a bunch of Americans or dual citizens/US eligible playing in the 2nd Bundesliga. Youngster Haji Wright has been loaned from Schalke 04 to Sandhausen, Alfredo Morales is with Ingolstadt who were relegated from 1st. Jann George came up from 3rd division this year with Jahn Regensburg. Jerome Kiesewetter is at Düsseldorf, Andrew Wooten at Sandhausen, Terrence Boyd and McKinze Gaines play for Darmstadt. I don't know if these guys are real young but we have a Kenneth Kronholm at Holstein Kiel, Russell Carouse at Bochum and Mael Carboz with Duisburg (also a team that was promoted this year from the third Bundesliga). I did see Isaiah Young with Bremen's second team in the 3rd division but did not look any further.

Reaction Score
Chandler opened the scoring today for Eintracht Frankfurt as they had an easy 0-3 win in the German Football Cup first round. George played 90 and assisted on at least one of the goals in Regensburg's 3-1 victory over Darmstadt. (I didn't realize until today that George was once called up to camp for the US U-23s when he was still playing in Nürnberg. He's 24 now so he will have to start impressing Arena soon.) For Darmstadt Terence Boyd dressed but did not play, while McKinze Gaines played 57 minutes.

Reaction Score
The linked article leaves out some Amerikaner in the top level of the Bundesliga, although the comments to the article do mention a couple.
Thought so; thanks for the added color.

Reaction Score
Canouse just signed with DC United.

It was only Friday night that, in response to Aisijimo's question, I went through the team rosters for Second Bundesliga teams on Fussballdaten.de and saw Canouse was on Bochum's roster (on loan from Hoffenheim.) As of this evening they have already taken him off of the Bochum roster, so I guess one can rely on them to keep current. Yanks-Abroad has also removed him. In some other German Cup (DFB Pokal) action this weekend - Bobby Wood scored for Hamburg on Saturday. J.A. Brooks left his game early (37th minute) with an injury - I don't know how serious yet. The Washington Posts "Soccer Insider Americans Abroad Weekend Roundup" identifies more Americans in the First and Second Bundesligen that neither the OP link nor the list in my response had mentioned. It's exciting to see so many Americans getting the great training and experience there.

Reaction Score
It was only Friday night that, in response to Aisijimo's question, I went through the team rosters for Second Bundesliga teams on Fussballdaten.de and saw Canouse was on Bochum's roster (on loan from Hoffenheim.) As of this evening they have already taken him off of the Bochum roster, so I guess one can rely on them to keep current. Yanks-Abroad has also removed him. In some other German Cup (DFB Pokal) action this weekend - Bobby Wood scored for Hamburg on Saturday. J.A. Brooks left his game early (37th minute) with an injury - I don't know how serious yet. The Washington Posts "Soccer Insider Americans Abroad Weekend Roundup" identifies more Americans in the First and Second Bundesligen that neither the OP link nor the list in my response had mentioned. It's exciting to see so many Americans getting the great training and experience there.

The only reason I knew is that I heard the comment on SiriusXM.

Reaction Score
Watching the German Cup replay of Hamburg v. Osnabruck right now, and 3rd division Osna is up 3-0 on Hamburg with 20 minutes left.

All 3 goals for the 3rd division team were scored down to 10 men, with a red card shown to an Osna player early on.

Bobby Wood is not having a good game, and this is one of the most inept performances I've seen for a top tier team.

Wood is about to take a PK on a hand ball in the box.

Looks like they need to blow this team up and start again. Relegation candidates.

Reaction Score
Watching the German Cup replay of Hamburg v. Osnabruck right now, and 3rd division Osna is up 3-0 on Hamburg with 20 minutes left.

All 3 goals for the 3rd division team were scored down to 10 men, with a red card shown to an Osna player early on.

Bobby Wood is not having a good game, and this is one of the most inept performances I've seen for a top tier team.

Looks like they need to blow this team up and start again. Relegation candidates.

Interestingly enough, they are the only club to have never been relegated from the top tier.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did anyone see Pulisic's brilliant solo goal against Bayern Munich a week or so ago?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did anyone see Pulisic's brilliant solo goal against Bayern Munich a week or so ago?
In the SuperCup? It was mentioned in the Americans Abroad thread.

Reaction Score

These knuckleheads fight for their relegation lives every year; they have a clock in their stadium showing how long they've been in the Bundesliga. Everyone who isn't a HSV fan would love to see that clock reset to 0:00:00 because they are sick of hearing about them. They've been mismanaged for years but always hang on by the skin of their teeth.

Reaction Score
In the Second Bundesliga Haji Wright, on loan from Schalke, scored against Dresden. Andrew Wooten, also at Sandhausen, is currently out with a thigh injury.

Reaction Score
I am rooting for Jann George to get back into the picture to be called up again for the US. Today he scored twice in a 2-4 win for Regensburg at Ingolstadt (2. Bundesliga). Although he was once showing enough promise at Nürnberg to be called into the US U23 camp an injury set him back and then he ended up at Jahn Regensburg which was on a downward trajectory. In the 2015-2016 season George was playing in obscurity for Jahn in the 4th division Regionalliga Bayern. After a hard won promotion to the 3. Bundesliga and successful season there Jahn won a play-off against 1860 Munich for further promotion to the 2. Bundesliga. This week, with George playing a key role, they have beaten the two automatic relegation teams from last year's 1. Bundesliga season - Darmstadt in the German Cup competition and Ingolstadt in league play. Can you imagine the excitement for Regensburg fans!? How much I wish we here in the US will one day have the excitement of a promotion/relegation regime. Jann-Christopher George #9 in white: http://s.bundesliga.com/assets/img/1150000/1140845_imgw968.jpg

Reaction Score
Julian Green's situation at Stuttgart isn't looking strong at the moment. Considering his history and current situation, he'd probably make a lot more money playing MLS ball - especially as a WC goal scorer. LAFC?

Reaction Score
Two games tonight (Friday 9/8) with US / US eligible players. After his great goal in Honduras 3 days ago Bobby Wood was back for Hamburg and played 90 in a home loss. Jann-Christopher George was in for the entire game as Jahn Regensburg beat Heidenhem 1-3 in an away game. George did not score himself but was credited in one recap I read with setting up the second and third goals for Regensburg (although I could not see his involvement in the Youtube highlights).

Reaction Score
Julian Green has been loaned for the season from VfB Stuttgart to SpVgg Greuther Fürth. Stuttgart was just promoted this year to the First Bundesligan and Fürth is in the cellar of the 2. Bundesliga. At least he played this weekend - played 90 in a loss.

Reaction Score
(Edit... this was supposed to be in the Americans Abroad thread... my bad)
Cameron Carter-Vickers with a nice debut at Sheffield United... scoring the winning (and only) goal of the game @ Bolton Wanderers. He earned 'Man of the Match' honors with the highest player rating.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom