America's Cup Flop | The Boneyard

America's Cup Flop

Reaction Score
Since people are jonesing for sport, I happen to catch this event once every few years on the late night telly. The boats have changed drastically. Now they are flying above the water riding mostly on 2 of the 3 thin foils approaching 50 knots.

Late last night I saw the American Magic Patriot do down, down under.

36th America's Cup presented by PRADA

Reaction Score
When Switzerland a country with zero coastline won I quit as a fan . It was something I looked forward to seeing since I was a kid. If was 50% boat 50% seamanship. t’s now a big money hi tech boat show. It’s 90% boat snd the Captains role is not to screw up rather than a man or women pushing the envelope to its max.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Man, I remember being a kid and the America's Cup was front page news. I have a ton of fond memories of vacations in Newport and watching Dennis Connors and his crew train/compete. I had no clue it was still a thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When Switzerland a country with zero coastline won I quit as a fan . It was was something I looked forward to see since I was a kid. If was 50% boat 50% seamanship. t’s now a big money hi tech boat show. It’s 90% boat snd the Captains role is not to screw up rather than a man or women pushing the envelope to its max.

This. Don't sell me a sailing race where the entire hull is out of the water and the Captain is managing the crew from a tablet.

It's neat technologically but I don't even know how this technology does anything for anything beyond the yacht racing. The technology for the hull material, sail material are nothing new and not too many practical applications for the rest.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Man, I remember being a kid and the America's Cup was front page news. I have a ton of fond memories of vacations in Newport and watching Dennis Connors and his crew train/compete. I had no clue it was still a thing.

And I recently learned the NYYC spent past two summers near where I live using Port of Pensacola and Pensacola Bay to test their mock up and mules before going to final production on the competition boat. I don't remember ever seeing anything about it at the time but whatever.

Reaction Score
Since people are jonesing for sport, I happen to catch this event once every few years on the late night telly. The boats have changed drastically. Now they are flying above the water riding mostly on 2 of the 3 thin foils approaching 50 knots.

Late last night I saw the American Magic Patriot do down, down under.

36th America's Cup presented by PRADA

I remember when ESPN decided to showcase the races, with stuff like onboard cameras, even mast mounted cameras. It was awesome... but man have things changed.

Reaction Score
It's more about the technology now than the seamanship. FYI, if you go to Newport, RI (The Breakers Mansion), they have a trophy room of all of the yachting trophies one of the Vanderbilts won.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, New Zealand was the evil empire to our US crews back in the late 70's- early 80's, no?

Reaction Score
When Switzerland a country with zero coastline won I quit as a fan . It was was something I looked forward to see since I was a kid. If was 50% boat 50% seamanship. t’s now a big money hi tech boat show. It’s 90% boat snd the Captains role is not to screw up rather than a man or women pushing the envelope to its max.
A country doesn't need a coastline to be able to sail out in the ocean. One has nothing to do with the other. Arizona State has a hockey team.

You are probably right about the seamanship aspect but that's how all sports evolve. It seems to me if these boats are all so hi tech, the actions of the crew are even more important because the margin of error becomes ever smaller.

Reaction Score
These boats don't sail as much as they fly. But I must admit it is amazing to watch.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Saw the video yesterday, AM. All I could think of was that line from the movie Moby Dick: "Thar she breaches!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom