Americans in the Bundesliga | The Boneyard

Americans in the Bundesliga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was a good day on Saturday (5 Dec) for US National players in the First Bundesliga. Two US National team players scored goals in the Bundesliga on the same day. Fabian Johnson of Borussia Mönchengladbach scored in his team’s stunning 3-1 win over Bayern München and John Brooks got the game winner for Hertha Berlin against Bayer 04 Leverkusen.
Here is a very positive article from the Bundesliga English language site:
http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/blmd15n-americans-on-course-for-historic-season.jsp

Edited to correct my first version where I said it was the first time two Americans had scored in the Bundesliga on the same day - it happened earlier this season also when Johnson and Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen) scored on the same match day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Some more good news coming out of Germany with respect to Jordan Morris' trail at Bremen.

http://www.espnfc.us/werder-bremen/story/2786743/us-jordan-morris-to-continue-trial-at-bremen

"Bremen attacker Anthony Ujah said he already realised that Morris "is very, very fast, and speed is always important."

Kreiszeitung reported that Morris looked like a mix of Hamburger SV attacker Pierre-Michel Lasogga and Manchester United and England star Wayne Rooney.

Looks like Morris will turn down Berman for an opportunity to play in MLS. Not sure if this is good or bad...

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2789913/jordan-morris-will-not-join-werder-bremen

Reaction Score
Looks like Morris will turn down Berman for an opportunity to play in MLS. Not sure if this is good or bad...

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2789913/jordan-morris-will-not-join-werder-bremen
We'll see. I hope whatever contract he signs in Seattle, he can opt out in a couple of years to go to Europe. He's got a busy summer coming up with Olympic qualifying (and hopefully the Olympics), Gold Cup... lot's of chances to showcase. Maybe he spends 1-2 years in Seattle, and moves on to Europe. I will be disappointed if he's opting to spend his career in MLS.

Reaction Score
Not the worst idea in the world; Bremen is bad... Real Bad. He could end up in the 2nd division if he stayed there.

Bremen plays Neanderthal soccer. Word is he chose not to play there because the team was so technically bad.

Surprised he hasn't garnered more interest from Europe.

Reaction Score
Bremen plays Neanderthal soccer. Word is he chose not to play there because the team was so technically bad.

Could be because of some more recent US duds in Europe. Maybe this will be good for him such as what Yeldin did. Establish himself in the MLS, i.e. Europe's AA league, and jump across the pond where he has proven himself (hopefully).

Reaction Score

LOL you got that right... They and HSV are a bunch of animals and really suck, but somehow they always beat Mainz. We really have trouble with physical teams.

Reaction Score
I posted this also in the "Americans Abroad" thread as a response to a mention about performance of Americans in the EPL vs. the Bundesliga, but it belongs here also. It's an article from The Guardian about why the Bundesliga is very interested in Americans:
Why German soccer wants American players

Great find. Thanks!

"The Bundesliga also represents the best path to success for American players abroad. American players tend to lack the technical ability to make it in Spain, or the tactical ability to make it in Europe. Not to mention the different cultures require a assimilation on and off the pitch. They aren’t as desired in England as there’s no inherent need to focus on the American market. But in Germany many of the factors align both on and off the pitch, it’s why we’ve seen so many Americans thrive over the years"

That's really the key paragraph in my opinion. I always thought that the American way of soccer was closest to the German way than anything else. Set pieces, direct approach (America using counter attacking method since we historically haven't been good enough to unlock organized defenses),

It makes perfect sense about the EPL. What incentive do they have to sign Americans? They already have a huge following. If the Bundesliga is going to have any hope of making inroads then this is the way to go.

Also, I was at the WC quarterfinal match against Germany in 2002. So many of our players on the pitch had Bundesliga experience. Berhalter, Reyna, Hejduk even Donovan. While we were outmatched in winning balls in the air because our players looked Lilliputian in comparison, the respect on the field between the two teams was palpable.

Also, there is no better league in UEFA to send our players. As much as I love to watch the EPL that country wears out their players. Two cup competitions, League and the European competitions... with no winter break. Look at how tired England looks in the World Cup.

Reaction Score
Great find. Thanks!

"The Bundesliga also represents the best path to success for American players abroad. American players tend to lack the technical ability to make it in Spain, or the tactical ability to make it in Europe. Not to mention the different cultures require a assimilation on and off the pitch. They aren’t as desired in England as there’s no inherent need to focus on the American market. But in Germany many of the factors align both on and off the pitch, it’s why we’ve seen so many Americans thrive over the years.

The one exception in the Premiership with respect to American players is keepers, who have been making a name for themselves in England now for close to 20 years.

Also, I think the Matt Miazga signing, while I hate that its Chelsea, could be interesting. US athletes have the tendency to be big, strong and fast; just not technically gifted. A solid center back is a 'natural' fir for a US type athlete and if Matt has success at Chelsea, or elsewhere in the EPL on loan, which is what I expect to happen; it could generate more interest.

Reaction Score
New to the site. Love the soccer area. Anyone see Christian Pulisic come on for Borussia Dortmund this weekend? Thomas Tuchel seems to like him a lot and thinks he has a chance to make an impact. Great news for the U.S., especially since it seems extremely unlikely he's going to make the Croatia switch.

Reaction Score
New to the site. Love the soccer area. Anyone see Christian Pulisic come on for Borussia Dortmund this weekend? Thomas Tuchel seems to like him a lot and thinks he has a chance to make an impact. Great news for the U.S., especially since it seems extremely unlikely he's going to make the Croatia switch.

Yeah there is clip that has every touch in the American's Abroad thread. He looked really good out there.

Reaction Score
Pulisic was added to Dortmund's Europa League squad. It will be awesome if he is able to get some time in the Europa League as well. BVB will play Porto in the upcoming round of 32.

Reaction Score
If Pulisic, Zelaham, and CCV can continue to develop, that is a nice nucleus at each line for years to come. Would like to see CCV get either loaned out or ply up a little for Spurs next season. He just turned 18 a month ago.

Reaction Score
If Pulisic, Zelaham, and CCV can continue to develop, that is a nice nucleus at each line for years to come. Would like to see CCV get either loaned out or ply up a little for Spurs next season. He just turned 18 a month ago.

And then a young crop of goalkeepers lead by Horvath provides promise. I love the crop coming up. The U-20 team was fun to stay up through a 3 a.m. match for in New Zealand last summer. Like the future a lot.

Hope CCV starts seeing time at Spurs. Making things tricky, though, is Spurs' sudden(?) entrance into the title race.

Reaction Score
Another 20 or so minutes for Pulisic vs Hertha Berlin and John Brooks today. Didn't do a whole lot but still encouraging to see him get into the game. He came in and was playing as a left midfielder, but after Reus was subbed out in the 81st minute, BVB appeared to push Pulisic higher up the pitch and more central.

Reaction Score
Ok, this will probably become a regular deal, so this is the last time I'll mention it; Pulisic came on in the last 20 minutes against John Brooks and Berlin.

Reaction Score
Ok, this will probably become a regular deal, so this is the last time I'll mention it; Pulisic came on in the last 20 minutes against John Brooks and Berlin.

Its a good regular deal to see 2 Americans on the field in a Bundesliga match.

Reaction Score
Next week Ingolstadt and Bremen meet. If Aron Johannsson is ready to play maybe he and Alfredo Morales will be on the field at the same time. Johannson has been back in training after his surgery. Morales came on for Ingolstadt in the 60th minute of their win in a Bavarian derby against Augsburg.

Reaction Score
I think the only other American (besides Brooks) to go the 90 minutes this week was Fabian Johnson at Mönchengladbach in their 5-1 win against Werder Bremen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom