American Tourney back to XL in 2017 | The Boneyard

American Tourney back to XL in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I know this came up a few weeks ago, but it's been confirmed by the conference and was moved due to the amway center hosting the NCAAs next season. Tournament will be back in Orlando for 2018. Hopefully our last American Athletic Conference tournament.

Hartford's XL Center Set to Host 2017 American Men's Basketball Championship
Mar. 03, 2016 Men's Basketball

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco announced today that the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut will host the 2017 American Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Championship, March 9-12. Hartford was selected from a large pool of potential host cities in The American’s geographical footprint.

This marks a change in venue for the conference tournament from a previous announcement made in April 2014. Originally, the American Men’s Basketball Championship was slated to be played at the Amway Center in Orlando in both 2016 and 2017. The Amway Center now will be host to the 2016 and 2018 championships. In November 2014, the NCAA awarded the Amway Center with first and second round games for the 2017 Men’s Basketball Championship. As a result, the Central Florida Sports Commission and The American mutually agreed that it would be in the best interest to move the tournament from Orlando in 2017.

image_handler.aspx

In 2015, the XL Center, which has hosted a number of NCAA Championship men’s and women’s basketball games over the years, was the site of The American Men’s Basketball Championship, during which more than 45,400 fans attended. The title game saw 13,365 spectators attend the matchup between the SMU Mustangs and the UConn Huskies.

“We are excited and appreciative that the XL Center and the City of Hartford once again will be hosting our Conference Championship,” said Aresco. “I am pleased that our discussions with the Central Florida Sports Commission resulted in a mutually-beneficial decision to replace 2017 with 2018, which will help us maximize our attendance and exposure and avoid conflicts in 2017.

“We experienced a first-class event last March thanks to the support and commitment of all those involved, including the XL staff and the greater Hartford community. The fans once again will witness a great college basketball atmosphere that will be memorable for our student-athletes and coaches. Hartford and its surrounding communities have historically embraced college basketball and I am certain that we will enjoy the same terrific attendance as we did in 2015.”

“The XL Center, CRDA, Spectra Venue Management and entire Metro Hartford Region are thrilled to host this prestigious event in the state of Connecticut,” said Chris Lawrence, General Manager of the XL Center. “The 2015 tournament brought great energy to the city and we are ready to once again showcase the area as a premier entertainment destination. We thank the American Athletic Conference for selecting us and look forward to hosting another successful Championship.”

All 11 American Athletic Conference schools will participate in the 2017 championship. The format calls for three first-round games on the first day, followed by four quarterfinal matchups, two semifinal contests and the championship game. The ESPN family of networks will again provide television and digital coverage of the tournament.

Reaction Score
The fact that only 13,000 + saw what was a de facto tournament game for us shows what a cluster duck* the ticket sales were for that tournament.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The fact that only 13,000 + saw what was a de facto tournament game for us shows what a cluster duck* the ticket sales were for that tournament.

I'm not sure that number is right. I was at the game and have pictures showing the place full to the upper reaches of the arena.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to that Tulane-ECU barnburner.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It'll be strange to play in Hartford - they better hope UHart or Central joins the AAC
Wishful thinking, huh?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that number is right. I was at the game and have pictures showing the place full to the upper reaches of the arena.

Agreed, I was there too and it felt like a sell-out. Crowd was loud too.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It'll be strange to play in Hartford - they better hope UHart or Central joins the AAC
Wishful thinking, huh?
Even if we are lucky enough to get an invite out of this lovely conference we'd still play in it next season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The tournament last year was funny. I bought 4 full session tickets for $240. Then I sold the finals for $800 after going to the first 10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom