American sports guys don't understand soccer is played in winter (link) | The Boneyard

American sports guys don't understand soccer is played in winter (link)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

To be fair, I haven't seen many snow games played in Europe or South America. Our climate is a bit different.

Reaction Score
To be fair, I haven't seen many snow games played in Europe or South America. Our climate is a bit different.

The answer to our soccer woes is building enough stadia with retractable roofs so that we can play in the proper calendar.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The answer to our soccer woes is building enough stadia with retractable roofs so that we can play in the proper calendar.

Really? Opposite American Football and college basketball? I think they picked the season to align with stuff soccer fans don't care about, like the NBA, Hockey and Baseball. I know it screws up things like transfers and loaned players. How do they do it in Sweden, Russia and Finland? Obviously those are minor leagues, but they do play.

Reaction Score
Really? Opposite American Football and college basketball? I think they picked the season to align with stuff soccer fans don't care about, like the NBA, Hockey and Baseball. I know it screws up things like transfers and loaned players. How do they do it in Sweden, Russia and Finland? Obviously those are minor leagues, but they do play.

Not sure. But one of the main things still missing from soccer in America is the fun of the transfer window. We need to get aligned.

Soccer fans are soccer fans. If your team is popular then they will come out regardless in my opinion.

Look at Atlanta, the Falcons and United have very little crossover.

OTOH, in KC people tend to support the Royals, Chiefs and Sporting all the same.

I say suspend the season in early December and start it up in late January. Schedule a few less games in northern climes in the winter.

This means the regular season halts when the MLS Cup is normally played. The regular season resumes one month before it usually starts.

Play MLS Cup on the same Sunday as the Champions League final. Boom.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The weather is different. They don't get the same kind of snow accumulations. It might get cold but it doesn't get Canadian Clipper cold. The jet stream and influence of the ocean is different. I once spent a week in France waiting for a huge (TS size) rain storm to come across the UK to ruin a ski trip. It never did, it just hovered off the coast of Ireland for an entire week then dissipated.

Nearly every stadium has covered seating to protect fans from rain and sun (should that actually happen).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom