American Athletic Conference Media Days 2016 August 1-2 | The Boneyard

American Athletic Conference Media Days 2016 August 1-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Figured this is deserved its own thread as it should be extremely entertaining with all the XII expansion hoopla happening.

August 1-2 in Newport

Reaction Score
Here's where they are having the opening cocktail party:

cafe-american-1280.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is going to be a hilariously awkward two days.
More so than usual? The rush not to be the last man left on the sinking ship is hardly new.

I expect AD's to make duly vague statements, about being glad to part of the league, but monitoring the CR landscape; coaches to talk about the upcoming season and Aresco to talk about anyone but UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More so than ussual? The rush not to be the last man left on the sinking ship is hardly new.

I expect AD's to make duly vague statements, about being glad to part of the league, but monitoring the CR landscape; coaches to talk about the upcoming season and Aresco to talk about anyone but UConn.

Sure, but this is the first time in the last 3 seasons that another conference has openly announced their intention to expand. Will ratchet nerves up more so than usual.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This conference can't afford Newport. They'll probably do this trip like I did "Newport" when I was 23: two nights at the Roadway Inn in Middletown, RI right on the main drag at the town line, brunch at the IHOP across the street, and sneak your way in for one too-expensive drink at the Atlantic Beach Club so you can have your picture taken and say you were in Newport.

Reaction Score
Getting a room in Newport during the Americas Cup was almost impossible not to mention the cost. We made reservations a year before the cup to tie up at Christys. Right in the middle of all the action. Our boat was the original tender for the Aussie team a few years previously . It was great fun as we figured this might be the last Cup race at Newport due to the competition. We drove over in 1983 and bought tickets to go out to watch the race on a small cruise line ship. As it turned out we lost the Cup that year.

Reaction Score
Good point, they are losing anywhere from 1-4 members and probably 6-8 want the fastest bus out. It's a total joke, start acting like other G5s.

This conference can't afford Newport. They'll probably do this trip like I did "Newport" when I was 23: two nights at the Roadway Inn in Middletown, RI right on the main drag at the town line, brunch at the IHOP across the street, and sneak your way in for one too-expensive drink at the Atlantic Beach Club so you can have your picture taken and say you were in Newport.

Reaction Score
If they lose any two of UConn ,Cinn, Temple ,and Houston
The ESPN contract is terminated immediately
IF they lose one plus another the contract can be adjustef
Any one of the above and anyone else calls for renegotiation
The AAC maybe talking boldly but thrir are serious consequences
Schools like ECU can be booted eithout effecting the contract

Reaction Score
If they lose any two of UConn ,Cinn, Temple ,and Houston
The ESPN contract is terminated immediately
IF they lose one plus another the contract can be adjustef
Any one of the above and anyone else calls for renegotiation
The AAC maybe talking boldly but thrir are serious consequences
Schools like ECU can be booted eithout effecting the contract

When does the current deal expire? Isn't ESPN paying a ridiculously low ball number already for the rights to the league? If UCONN, Cincy, and UH all leave they might send the remaining members a bill instead of check for airing its games.

Reaction Score
Coverage will begin Tuesday morning with a live video feed of commissioner Mike Aresco’s opening remarks at 8 a.m. Central time, followed by roundtable discussions with the 12 head coaches. All six coaches from the West Division, including Fritz, will kick things off at 8:45 a.m., followed by the East Division at 10 a.m. The entire morning session will be streamed live on The American Digital Network.

ESPN3 will follow with a two-hour recap of the two-day event, hosted by Mike Gleason and Matt Chatham, Tuesday at 11 a.m.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If anything happens in the next 48 hours, it will spread like wildfire and be up on the Internet within hours, if not minutes.

Reaction Score
The American ‏@American_Conf · Jul 30
Four of our @American_FB coaches will get Monday morning started at ESPN! #Carwash
Cons02GWIAA6LdC.jpg

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'd rather see him than Diaco on that promo, that is for damn sure!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I want to drive to Newport, pop some popcorn and sit in the lobby just to see all the uncomfortable faces made by every school representative. I envy @UConn07 for sure!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Seriously. There isn't even a team in Rhode Island, or Massachusetts for that matter. The annual meeting should be at a Holiday Inn near Philadelphia airport.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
  • Tuedsay August 2
  • 9 a.m. ET - Mike Aresco - WATCH LIVE
  • 9:45-10:30 a.m. ET - WATCH LIVE
    West Division Coaches - (Tom Herman-Houston, Mike Norvell-Memphis, Ken Niumatalolo-Navy, Chad Morris-SMU, Willie Fritz-Tulane, and Philip Montgomery-Tulsa)
  • 11-11:45 a.m. ET - WATCH LIVE
    East Division Coaches - (Scott Frost-UCF, Bob Diaco-UConn, Tommy Tuberville-Cincinnati, Scottie Montgomery-East Carolina, Willie Taggart-USF, Matt Rhule-Temple)
  • Noon - 2 p.m. ET - WATCH LIVE
    ESPN3 Coverage of #AmericanKickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member