OT: Ambrose really is a great coach | The Boneyard

OT: Ambrose really is a great coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone else watching the Towson game on ESPN 2? Good game.

Towson up by 3 in the 4th quarter against second ranked East Illinois. The more I watch Towson and Ambrose on the sideline the more I am convinced this guy will be a coaching star someday. His team is really good.

BTW Ambrose was our OC when Diaco and his Virginia defense got spanked at the Rent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone else watching the Towson game on ESPN 2?

Towson up by 11 in the 4th quarter against second ranked East Illinois. The more I watch Towson and Ambrose on the sideline the more I am convinced this guy will be a coaching star someday. His team is really good.

I agree completely, I think we did better, but this guy just flat out wins. He won't be at Towson forever. He's a better HC than Edsall too.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I am probably one of the few that wouldhave been happy with Ambrose. Guyhas totally turned Towson around. Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn were high school coaches.

Reaction Score
Wow...161 starts by OL. Then throw in a 1A transfer West and what you have is a team on it's way to the semi's for FCS. Good for him.

35 rushes for 330 yds and 5 TDs. Those are Newsome numbers. :D

Let's see what happens next year with a new line and new starting RB.

Reaction Score
Towson was one of the better teams we played this year for sure. Maybe better than most.

Reaction Score
This Eastern Illinois team clobbered San Diego State and lost to Northern Illinois by only 4, so they must be pretty good, Towson is better.

This FCS tournament is pretty good, why can't the FBS get their act together? They would make so much money.

I'm looking forward to watching North Dakota State tomorrow at Noon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Towson was one of the better teams we played this year for sure. Maybe better than most.

He's heading towards a national championship and the running game is what is getting him there. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Well if Diaco does happen to leave to go else where in the future Ambrose is definitely a candidate to replace him, Warde Manuel must be prepared to hire a new coach in a just in case situation in this day in age of college football, and I have full confidence that Warde will be.

Reaction Score
This Eastern Illinois team clobbered San Diego State and lost to Northern Illinois by only 4, so they must be pretty good, Towson is better.

This FCS tournament is pretty good, why can't the FBS get their act together? They would make so much money.

I'm looking forward to watching North Dakota State tomorrow at Noon.
Agree with you MR. Mets. Apparently....too much money in the bowl system being made by the P5 and TV. Good read is "Death To the BCS" by Dan Weiss and it speaks about the bowl money, stranglehold by the P5 commissioners and ESPN. March madness in December. want to see an 8 team or 16 team playoff at FBS..... NCAA can put us on probation for basketball APR (from 2 years prior) but doesn't have the guts to control it's own FBS national championship.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well if Diaco does happen to leave to go else where in the future Ambrose is definitely a candidate to replace him

Are we seriously already looking for a coaching replacement, mere days after we just announced our future coach?!? This place cracks me up sometimes!

Look, I don't know if Diaco is going to be the next great UConn coach with a long tenure or not, but holy cow with this thread! Can it possibly be that the honeymoon is already over? What we do know at this point is that it is extremely likely that Diaco will be here for at least 3 years out of the 5 year contract, if not more. In that time, a heck of a lot is going to change.....including how we feel about Ambrose and who "the next coach" should be! Let's enjoy our victory on this one while we have it, and we can talk about getting the next coach when we need one...

Reaction Score
Agree with you MR. Mets. Apparently....too much money in the bowl system being made by the P5 and TV. Good read is "Death To the BCS" by Dan Weiss and it speaks about the bowl money, stranglehold by the P5 commissioners and ESPN. March madness in December. want to see an 8 team or 16 team playoff at FBS..... NCAA can put us on probation for basketball APR (from 2 years prior) but doesn't have the guts to control it's own FBS national championship.
This is the long term problem. There will be a huge separation between the P5 and the rest of CFB because of dollars and the systematic squeeze out of other schools. It's really quite disgusting what the NCAA is allowing to happen when their mission is to advance college sports as a whole.

Reaction Score
Are we seriously already looking for a coaching replacement, mere days after we just announced our future coach?!? This place cracks me up sometimes!

Look, I don't know if Diaco is going to be the next great UConn coach with a long tenure or not, but holy cow with this thread! Can it possibly be that the honeymoon is already over? What we do know at this point is that it is extremely likely that Diaco will be here for at least 3 years out of the 5 year contract, if not more. In that time, a heck of a lot is going to change.....including how we feel about Ambrose and who "the next coach" should be! Let's enjoy our victory on this one while we have it, and we can talk about getting the next coach when we need one...

You are the one who just took this thread in a weird direction, I was just watching the Towson game because Ambrose is a former UCONN coach and I am rooting for him. Just like we root for former players in the NFL.

are we so in love with Diaco now that we can't comment on any other coaches?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Be prepared is what I'm saying every AD should be prepared even if its Bama, ND, whichever school it is, you never know. I said a "just in case situation" more then likely Diaco will be here 3 out of the 5 years (hopefully 5 years at least) but you never know, I never said we are already looking for a coaching replacement take a chill pill. Theres a difference between looking for the next coach as opposed to being prepared. If your not prepared when/if the next coaching vacancy comes along then you make a poor coaching replacement i.e. replacing Edsall with PP.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are the one who just took this thread in a weird direction, I was just watching the Towson game because Ambrose is a former UCONN coach and I am rooting for him. Just like we root for former players in the NFL.

are we so in love with Diaco now that we can't comment on any other coaches?

I'M the one that took it in a weird direction??? First of all, I quoted someone who was talking about when Diaco "does happen to leave" and "a candidate to replace him." Secondly, don't act like you didn't start the thread in a direction of "what if". It's okay to admit it, you know. And if Diaco doesn't work out, then feel free to go ahead and talk about the "what if". But from my standpoint, it is ridiculous to talk about the "what if", when we are only a couple of days removed from his hire. And I'm quite sure you were only just talking about supporting a former UConn man when you added the comment that his offense beat Diaco, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Be prepared is what I'm saying every AD should be prepared even if its Bama, ND, whichever school it is, you never know. I said a "just in case situation" more then likely Diaco will be here 3 out of the 5 years (hopefully 5 years at least) but you never know, I never said we are already looking for a coaching replacement take a chill pill. Theres a difference between looking for the next coach as opposed to being prepared. If your not prepared when/if the next coaching vacancy comes along then you make a poor coaching replacement i.e. replacing Edsall with PP.

Be prepared for what??? If I'm not mistaken, the man has a multi-million dollar buy-out for the first couple of years in his contract, and no AD in their right mind only gives someone less than two years if not a third. So why are we talking about being prepared to replace him?

I'm sorry, fellas. I'll exit the thread now, because my presence isn't going to add to anything fruitful. But I'm just bedazzled by the fact that he hasn't been on the job a week and we're already having the "what if" game...

Reaction Score
Be prepared for what??? If I'm not mistaken, the man has a multi-million dollar buy-out for the first couple of years in his contract, and no AD in their right mind only gives someone less than two years if not a third. So why are we talking about being prepared to replace him?

I'm sorry, fellas. I'll exit the thread now, because my presence isn't going to add to anything fruitful. But I'm just bedazzled by the fact that he hasn't been on the job a week and we're already having the "what if" game...

Always be prepared, Always that is an AD's job just like its always the coaches job to be prepared in case X players leaves early to enter the NFL/NBA draft, or transfers. You are taking this thread way too seriously this is a discussion board after all, relax a little bit man. Of course I want Diaco to be a lifer and bring this program to top notch status that is what we all want.

Reaction Score
And I'm quite sure you were only just talking about supporting a former UConn man when you added the comment that his offense beat Diaco, right? :rolleyes:

Diaco brought that game up in his press conference "the Rent was hostile", "it was a long walk back to the bus" "we brought a team in here and it was really ugly so I don't want to recap it" I just mentioned that because so many people criticized Ambrose's performance during his tenure here. I can't second guess Warde for not taking Ambrose because he was never near the top of my list either. I would have preferred TJ, Lembo, or Narduzzi.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone else watching the Towson game on ESPN 2? Good game.
Don't care who's playing nor that it's a replay, but just plain happy to watch a college football game on ASN (All Sports Network) my Saturday night here in Asia. Hopefully, the Army-Navy game's on sometime my Sunday.

Reaction Score
Diaco brought that game up in his press conference "the Rent was hostile", "it was a long walk back to the bus" "we brought a team in here and it was really ugly so I don't want to recap it" I just mentioned that because so many people criticized Ambrose's performance during his tenure here. I can't second guess Warde for not taking Ambrose because he was never near the top of my list either. I would have preferred TJ, Lembo, or Narduzzi.

Pretty certain that that game was not at the Rent, but at Memorial Stadium in 2001, when UConn beat Eastern Michigan 19-0.
Diaco was running back and special teams coach at EMU back then. It was a battle between 2 teams that both finished 2-9 that year.

Reaction Score

Never too early to consider the move after next.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Never too early to consider the move after next.

Okay. Then I choose Meyer and Saban. I will continue to follow their careers and post on the Boneyard about Meyer and Saban, because I like the systems that they run, and Saban has already beaten Diaco's defense in a big game. Yup...Meyer and Saban....because it's never too early... :confused:

Reaction Score
Pretty certain that that game was not at the Rent, but at Memorial Stadium in 2001, when UConn beat Eastern Michigan 19-0.
Diaco was running back and special teams coach at EMU back then. It was a battle between 2 teams that both finished 2-9 that year.

Pretty sure Diaco's comments are from when he was with Virginia and UConn spanked them at the Rent. I believe it was Lorenzen's 2nd year at UConn.

Reaction Score
Okay. Then I choose Meyer and Saban. I will continue to follow their careers and post on the Boneyard about Meyer and Saban, because I like the systems that they run, and Saban has already beaten Diaco's defense in a big game. Yup...Meyer and Saban....because it's never too early... :confused:

Just saying. This is what good long term thinkers do. Meyer and Saban are not attainable so that's a waste of time.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Diaco's comments are from when he was with Virginia and UConn spanked them at the Rent. I believe it was Lorenzen's 2nd year at UConn.

That's exactly the game he was talking about. UConn 45 - Virginia 10, in 2008. He was in charge of special teams and linebackers for Virginia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom