OT: Alzheimer Journey Update | The Boneyard

OT: Alzheimer Journey Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
We are back from our hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, related to Alzheimer's on a variety of fronts. Some folks suggested we keep the Boneyard updated so here is a final report. During the hike I was unsure of the positive benefits for Cindy, mainly because she benefited more dramatically when we hiked the American Discovery Trail 3 years earlier. Yet now that we are back into "normal" life the benefits the recent hike provided for Cindy's brain health have become obvious. She remained vibrant because of the constant activity and social contact, both with people who came out to hike with us and trail angels met along the way.

As upstater mentioned on here, along with my own observations, once exercise stops there can be a sharp decline for those already advanced with Alzheimer's. For that reason we are now looking to do the "snowbird" gig to keep exercising this winter; however, I would not be surprised if this were the last opportunity.

Please consider a donation to the Exercise for Brain Health Research Fund, even if it is affiliated with the University of Maryland (lol). They are using Cindy's case to set up a new protocol for longitudinal studies. It would be nice if we at least covered her test costs, at least $1000 every time she goes in.

Also, any musicians out there might want to check out these sites for how you could contribute to raising funds for Alzheimer's research: Joy of Living, Joy of Life; Humanity Hiker You Tube channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom