Alyssa Auriemma on a guy named Luigi who became Geno | The Boneyard

Alyssa Auriemma on a guy named Luigi who became Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lovely words--as you'd expect--from a daughter about her dad. And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree: "Never taking a play off. Doing your absolute best. I take that seriously in my current role as a teacher -- I don't accept less than 100 percent. Sometimes my students can't stand me."

Alysa Auriemma on 2016 IMPACT25 honoree UConn women's basketball

Well maybe from her students but can she say the same about herself? An adjunct professor of English and freelance writer should know better.

The 2015-16 team embodied that formula, and the Huskies' season was record-breaking, of course. It was the fourth national championship in a row, a feat that has never been done in the women's game.

"Has" or "had"?

Reaction Score
Well maybe from her students but can she say the same about herself? An adjunct professor of English and freelance writer should know better."Has" or "had"?
Okay (and I picked up a couple, too). But it's important to respect genre: it's a sports column and we all (sometimes intentionally) use slang or write conversationally to confirm to it (like Obama dropping the final "g" when he wants to sound folksy).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd say I like it, but I posted it a day or so okay. 2 others also repeated by others. I guess I lack the byline savy to draw! Good article with some insight into Geno's feeling in initial success.

Reaction Score
Okay (and I picked up a couple, too). But it's important to respect genre: it's a sports column and we all (sometimes intentionally) use slang or write conversationally to confirm to it (like Obama dropping the final "g" when he wants to sound folksy).

Her error had nothing to do with slang or conversational writing. And Red Smith is rolling in his grave at your comment about "sports articles".

Reaction Score
Lovely words--as you'd expect--from a daughter about her dad. And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree: "Never taking a play off. Doing your absolute best. I take that seriously in my current role as a teacher -- I don't accept less than 100 percent. Sometimes my students can't stand me."

Alysa Auriemma on 2016 IMPACT25 honoree UConn women's basketball
The most common downfall of coaches and teachers: they want to be liked.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The most common downfall of coaches and teachers: they want to be liked.

Nothing wrong with that IF the reasons for it fit within the larger sense of mission and professional service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom