Alysa A talks Dad and UConn BB | The Boneyard

Alysa A talks Dad and UConn BB

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Alysa Auriemma on 2016 IMPACT25 honoree UConn women's basketball

A tease: " I was completely thrown. My dad is not someone who gets very emotional -- at least, not when it's directed at himself. But when it matters that deeply to him, in a place that means so much? It was the first time that it all hit me. This was very, very important. Something extremely special was happening."

Reaction Score
Alysa Auriemma on 2016 IMPACT25 honoree UConn women's basketball

A tease: " I was completely thrown. My dad is not someone who gets very emotional -- at least, not when it's directed at himself. But when it matters that deeply to him, in a place that means so much? It was the first time that it all hit me. This was very, very important. Something extremely special was happening."

Good father -Daughter piece. What hit me in the forehead was --he arrived here in the 60's when Italians were not treated well--or words to that effect! EVERY nationality has thought they themselve were discriminated against. My Irish grandmother --who was born in Newtown--her sibling born in Ireland--thought they were treated badly because of their brogue. My French Canadian relatives insist they were discriminated because of their accents. My wife was denied housing in Bristol because ---her/my last name was French Canadian--they called her a Maine-iac.
I lived in Puerto Rico and saw the similarity to the --un-welcomingness of Waterbury and Boston--for PR people, born as US citizen, but spoke Spanish. Terryville was 90 percent Polish and Russian, and Slavic--yes they were treated poorly because of their accents and names.
All those new to the shores of the USA are not welcomed with open arms--and it has never been so. Native populations in Connecticut were not happy with the English--check it out it is Connecticut history.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
As a French Canadian Catholic, semi Jew, I grew up with Italian kids in the neighborhood, we shopped at the corner store (Italian) and a treat for us was dinner at a neighborhood Italian restaurant. I'm not saying that immigrant kids weren't discriminated against but I think Ms. Auriemma is probably a generation or so off.

"Native populations in Connecticut were not happy with the English--check it out it is Connecticut history."
VA - That history is currently being rewritten by the peace loving Mashantucket Pequots.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What hit me in the forehead was --he arrived here in the 60's when Italians were not treated well--or words to that effect!

That struck me as odd too. Mayor La Guardia left office after 3 terms in 1945. Yeah, we were suburban kids then in a very lower middle class environment in a well integrated HS, but there was none of this ethnicity stuff going on except in good natured ribbing.

Reaction Score
Immigrants to the USA all had one thing in common. They made sure their children embraced the common language, mores, and ideals of the culture.
I grew up in a lower class, mixed neighborhood. I had friends who were punished by their immigrant parents for not embracing the above.

Reaction Score
That struck me as odd too. Mayor La Guardia left office after 3 terms in 1945. Yeah, we were suburban kids then in a very lower middle class environment in a well integrated HS, but there was none of this ethnicity stuff going on except in good natured ribbing.

There sure was in Fairfield County. In Greenwich, the town was split between Italians and Anglos, as the older residents will tell you. Lots of stories about what it was like.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ally can feel some empathy:

"Never taking a play off. Doing your absolute best. I take that seriously in my current role as a teacher -- I don't accept less than 100 percent. Sometimes my students can't stand me." But they will be better students and people because of her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
imagine what the blacks (Afro-Americans) faced...

Reaction Score
What hit me in the forehead was --he arrived here in the 60's when Italians were not treated well--or words to that effect!

Did not bother with reading the article but that must surely mean the 1860's.

Native populations in Connecticut were not happy with the English--check it out it is Connecticut history.

Hell, the English were not happy with the English due to religious differences (Danbury CT Baptists wrote Thomas Jefferson asking for protection from the Danbury Congregationalists).

Reaction Score
Did not bother with reading the article but that must surely mean the 1860's.

Hell, the English were not happy with the English due to religious differences (Danbury CT Baptists wrote Thomas Jefferson asking for protection from the Danbury Congregationalists).
It is my understanding that the Vast and widely attended Southern Baptist was started in Tolland Ct.

Reaction Score
You mean it still isn't?

Many towns and Cities in Ct had an irish section, Italian section, Black section, Polish, German, etc sections depending on the size and make up of the town. Naugatuck had a "little italy" section Waterbury South Main was the Italian section--north end was Black---as it was in Hartford--next to the Jewish section--
They were not sectionalized--people like to live with their own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom