Alterique Gilbert: Naismith All American | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert: Naismith All American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he's going to be great. Not good, but great. Absolutely love this kid's game.

Reaction Score
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/four-kentucky-signees-among-naismith-trophy-all-americans-for-boys-hoops

Gilbert was named third team All American, another real nice honor for the kid. Can't wait for him to get here and give us the true point guard "floor general" presence we don't really have this year.
Slow. Down.

He's about as highly rated as Kemba & Jalen were before they set foot on campus, and neither of them was/is a floor general in their first season. Gilbert, like both those guys, is considered a leader and a winner, but still more of a scoring point guard than a guy who runs the entire offense like an expert.

He will have good games and we should all be thrilled to have him. But he will also have lots of bad games as almost all freshmen do.

This season should've taught us something about having realistic expectations.

Reaction Score
Slow. Down.

He's about as highly rated as Kemba & Jalen were before they set foot on campus, and neither of them was/is a floor general in their first season. Gilbert, like both those guys, is considered a leader and a winner, but still more of a scoring point guard than a guy who runs the entire offense like an expert.

He will have good games and we should all be thrilled to have him. But he will also have lots of bad games as almost all freshmen do.

Too late. In 9 months the morons here will be calling Gilbert a bust. Unless he's actually playing poorly and not getting minutes, in which case they'll be demanding he start.

Reaction Score
Slow. Down.

Why should be slow down? All he said is he can't wait to have a great player who is a true point guard joining the roster. If you haven't noticed the team this year doesn't have a point guard and we're bringing in a McDonald's all-American point guard. You would be insane not to be excited about that.

Reaction Score
Why should be slow down? All he said is he can't wait to have a great player who is a true point guard joining the roster. If you haven't noticed the team this year doesn't have a point guard and we're bringing in a McDonald's all-American point guard. You would be insane not to be excited about that.

He's expecting him to be a "floor general" next year, which means he's expecting too much. Your 2016-17 PG is going to be Jalen Adams. Start getting used to that and you'll be much happier.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
He's expecting him to be a "floor general" next year, which means he's expecting too much. Your 2016-17 PG is going to be Jalen Adams. Start getting used to that and you'll be much happier.
To be fair, no one said anything about him being the floor general next year. I read it as it will be good to have someone in our system who is a natural leader, and will someday run the floor.

Reaction Score
Slow. Down.

Easy there, Matrim. I do really like many of your posts and find you level headed and insightful, so I will give you (mostly) the benefit of the doubt here. You misinterpreted my post; I don't expect Gilbert to come in here and put up 15 and 6. But, if you think Jalen is more of a pure point guard type than Gilbert then I respectfully disagree. All I implied was that it will be nice to have someone who is, IMO, 100% a point guard on the team.

@CallMeBruce I have never been nor will I ever be one of those posters who attacks players mercilessly when they fudge up or fail to meet unrealistic expectations (which I will never set. I'm excited about Gilbert but I won't label him Kemba at this point.). I'd appreciate not being labeled as such.

Reaction Score
Slow. Down.

Why do you love Kentucky and Coach K?!?

But, yeah, of course. This kid is going to be getting savaged in about 9 months.

Reaction Score

You would be insane to repeat the pattern of assuming a kid who's dominant in high school is going to seamlessly transfer that dominance to the college game. But here we go again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The 2017-18 PG is almost certainly also Jalen Adams. Gilbert will be a scoring second PG. Calhoun's/UConn's teams often featured dual PGs, going all the way back to Tate George and Smith, Sheffer and Ollie, KEA and Moore, Austrie/Price/Walker, Kemba & Bazz, Bazz & Boat. Next is Adams and Gilbert.

Reaction Score
The 2017-18 PG is almost certainly also Jalen Adams. Gilbert will be a scoring second PG. Calhoun's/UConn's teams often featured dual PGs, going all the way back to Tate George and Smith, Sheffer and Ollie, KEA and Moore, Austrie/Price/Walker, Kemba & Bazz, Bazz & Boat. Next is Adams and Gilbert.
I think Jalen is more of a score first PG then AG. Everyone is a scorer in High School, but it seems like AG may be more of a passer than JA. Obviously its all speculation but that's just the way I see it currently

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Third team?

Next.
lets hope this is being a smart
if not, yeah a 3rd team AA just plain sucks - UConn should stick with any of the HS guards in the greater Hartford area

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Third team?

Next.
if not, yeah a 3rd team AA just plain sucks - UConn should stick with any of the HS guards in the greater Hartford area
pretty confident on that. aren't we?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
jiFfM.jpg

Reaction Score
Slow. Down.

Remember your audience. This is the Boneyard and right now the bones are dry.

Reaction Score

I think its wise to press the brakes. My Man Taliek was also a McDonald'a all-American point guard. And his freshman year didn't have a point guard (Khalid declared remember). Just saying. . . . . . . .

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
He doesn't have to be " great" next year. He just has to fit the teams needs and contribute.

Reaction Score
I think Jalen is more of a score first PG then AG. Everyone is a scorer in High School, but it seems like AG may be more of a passer than JA. Obviously its all speculation but that's just the way I see it currently
I feel like people aren't giving JA's passing the credit it deserves. Yes, he makes some boneheaded freshman mistakes but he's also shown quite the ability to drive the lane and find the open man very well IMO.

Reaction Score
I feel like people aren't giving JA's passing the credit it deserves. Yes, he makes some boneheaded freshman mistakes but he's also shown quite the ability to drive the lane and find the open man very well IMO.
Yes, but there's a difference between that - drive & kick or drive & dish creativity - and the simple art of making sure a pass gets to the jump-shooter in rhythm, or understanding how to throw an entry pass for a big to catch in the ideal spot, or reading a collapsing defense to throw a perfect skip-pass.

Adams has improved at all of those, and I think he'll be the 2nd best PG in the league next year. But it's a learning process, and I expect that will hold true for Gilbert as well.

Reaction Score
For reference, here are last year's senior Naismith HS All-Americans and their current CBB stats:

1st team
Dwayne Bacon
Jaylen Brown
Malik Newman
Ben Simmons
Allonzo Trier

2nd team
Isaiah Briscoe
Cheick Diallo
Ivan Rabb
Diamond Stone

3rd team
Henry Ellenson
Chase Jeter
Skal Labissiere
OT reminder that Isaiah Briscoe is one of the worst guards playing big minutes ever in terms of shooting. 13% from 3, and 42% FT. He's got Drummond range as a PG. One of my personal favorite stats this year.

Reaction Score
Gilbert and Adams are going to share the backcourt, every good team we've had has two elite ballhandlers/playmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom