Alterique Gilbert = a more athletic Shabazz | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert = a more athletic Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching the McDonald's All-American game, Alterique's game reminds me so much of Shabazz Napier's. Has the same excellent lateral movement, creative Passer, can create his own shot, but can really elevate for a sub 6-footer. I guess he's sort of a combination between Shabazz and Boatright. I can't wait to see him get here and play alongside Adams. That's going to be another great UConn backcourt duo.

Reaction Score
Shabazz has really long arms. Alteriques look much shorter; but this is obviously going off of an unnoffical eye test. But it doesn't look like he'll be able to shoot over people as effectively as bazz. Bazz step back jumper was filthy.

Gilbert looks really Really good though. He definitely has a similar shiftiness/ crafty head and shoulders Fakes that bazz had. They both play really smooth and Gilbert looks like he can run a team well. Really excited for him to get here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If we're going the lazy route of Alterique plays most like_____________ of recent UConn guards, Boat seems like the best comparison. High level athlete who can elevate on jump shots, some swagger and willingness to get dirty on defense. A bit on the small side to boot.

Reaction Score
I'm being a little facetious, but which is worse, not being selected for the McDonald's All-American Game, or making the game but barely playing?

I must admit, I'm a little pissed. We don't get many McDonald's all-americans and we finally get one this year and he barely plays. I know he has a tournament game tomorrow with his HS team, but it's not like these guys are playing 35 minutes of basketball.

As someone pointed out, it's just fodder for Alterique to have a nice chip on his shoulder when he comes to UConn, like many other past Huskies. While many of these Burger AAs go to the NBA early, Alterique will lead the Huskies to NC #5 and maybe even #6. :)

Reaction Score
If we're going the lazy route of Alterique plays most like_____________ of recent UConn guards, Boat seems like the best comparison. High level athlete who can elevate on jump shots, some swagger and willingness to get dirty on defense. A bit on the small side to boot.
Yup but he's definitely more built than Boat and from what I've seen he's more of a point guard than Boat. Not trying to slight Boat, he's one of my all-time favorites I'm just really high on Gilbert. A backcourt of Gilbert and Adams has a pretty good shot of winning hardware at UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm being a little facetious, but which is worse, not being selected for the McDonald's All-American Game, or making the game but barely playing?

I must admit, I'm a little pissed. We don't get many McDonald's all-americans and we finally get one this year and he barely plays. I know he has a tournament game tomorrow with his team, but it's not like These guys are playing in a 35 minutes of basketball.

As someone pointed out, it's just fodder for Alterique to have a nice chip on his shoulder when he comes to UConn, like many other past Huskies. While many of these Burger AAs will probably go to the NBA early, Alterique will lead the Huskies to NC #5 and maybe even #6. :)
I thought he played a fair amount and had a bunch of touches.

Reaction Score
Yup but he's definitely more built than Boat and from what I've seen he's more of a point guard than Boat. Not trying to slight Boat, he's one of my all-time favorites I'm just really high on Gilbert. A backcourt of Gilbert and Adams has a pretty good shot of winning hardware at UConn.

You can just look at Gilbert and see he hits the gym. Dude is built for a 12th grade PG

Reaction Score
I just felt the way he plays the game reminded me a lot more of Bazz than it did Boat. As you pointed out, he has a different body type than both players. Boat is very thin, kind of small boned I guess, while Bazz looked slightly bigger boned, though less muscular. AG is kind of built like a mini linebacker. He's got sort of a big upper body with short legs. Kinda reminded me of that running back in the NFL whose name escapes me right now. That third-down back who I think played for New Orleans for a while, though played for San Diego for many years, who was strongly built but had short piston-like legs.

It was amazing how explosive he was on that dunk. His thicker body type doesn't make you think he's going to be able to get over the rim. Shabazz just didn't have the body type to explode to the rim, but he was very good at creating space for his shot with his great ball-handling and creativity, something that Alterique seems to have, and granted Boatright also had. And of course, Kemba, who is one of the best at that. I might be wrong, but it seems like he might have more point guard skills than the other three. He seems to see the court very well.

Reaction Score
I just felt the way he plays the game reminded me a lot more of Bazz than it did Boat. As you pointed out, he has a different body type than both players. Boat is very thin, kind of small boned I guess, while Bazz looked slightly bigger boned, though less muscular. AG is kind of built like a mini linebacker. He's got sort of a big upper body with short legs. Kinda reminded me of that running back in the NFL whose name escapes me right now. That third-down back who I think played for New Orleans for a while, though played for San Diego for many years, who was strongly built but had short piston-like legs.

It was amazing how explosive he was on that dunk. His thicker body type doesn't make you think he's going to be able to get over the rim. Shabazz just didn't have the body type to explode to the rim, but he was very good at creating space for his shot with his great ball-handling and creativity, something that Alterique seems to have, and granted Boatright also had. And of course, Kemba, who is one of the best at that. I might be wrong, but it seems like he might have more point guard skills than the other three. He seems to see the court very well.
Darren Sproles maybe?

iirc, they did compare Gilbert's body frame to that of a running back.

He's a heck of an athlete. That reverse jam was grotesque! I'm not going to anoint him a spot on Mt. Rushmore, but if he gets even close to his (college) ceiling, we'll contend for as many years as he stays in school.

Reaction Score

Sproles. Honestly we haven't had a player like him to compare to. He is inline with our other shrimp guards but as you pointed out he has more of that football player build, like a small running back or a defensive back. Boat and Kemba are crazy quick but I think Alterique is maybe even quicker laterally, he sort of bounces as he changes direction like a waterbug. I don't want to say he'll be as good as our other stud point guards because it's unfair to put those expectations on him but I think he will be really good and I think he will have an immediate impact.

Reaction Score
yes
Darren Sproles maybe?

iirc, they did compare Gilbert's body frame to that of a running back.

He's a heck of an athlete. That reverse jam was grotesque! I'm not going to anoint him a spot on Mt. Rushmore, but if he gets even close to his (college) ceiling, we'll contend for as many years as he stays in school.
Yes, Sproles. I think that is the player I was thinking of. he definitely has a unique build, pointed out he has some superior lateral movement that should help him create space for his shot and drive by his man.

Reaction Score
Watching the McDonald's All-American game, Alterique's game reminds me so much of Shabazz Napier's. Has the same excellent lateral movement, creative Passer, can create his own shot, but can really elevate for a sub 6-footer. I guess he's sort of a combination between Shabazz and Boatright. I can't wait to see him get here and play alongside Adams. That's going to be another great UConn backcourt duo.

Didn't see much Shabazz at all. Really? The Gilbert I saw was much more Boatright / Kemba. Really? In fact I think that's the worst association of the three. You created a whole thread with this ideology? Really?

Last edited:

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think of him as a combination of Kemba, Shabazz, and Boatright. He has Kemba's quickness, Shabazz's ability to create his own shot, and Boatright's defense.
This might be the pinnacle of unfair expectations. What, he can't shoot 3's like Ray too?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Yeah, only 12 minutes, but he ended up with 7 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Decent showing, and commentators talked about him frequently, too.
I Only caught a few minutes but he played under control and had a knack for drawing a defender just far enough to create space for the perimeter player to receive his pass...subtle but very effective and not a common trait in young players.

Reaction Score
image.jpeg

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think of him as a combination of Kemba, Shabazz, and Boatright. He has Kemba's quickness, Shabazz's ability to create his own shot, and Boatright's defense.
That is quite a statement. Good work to KO and staff for landing him. A lot to look forward to next year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gilbert likley did not want too much burn in this game, considering he proabably has to get on a plane and fly somewhere for his highschool game the very next day. Of course it sucks for UConn fans, but you have to remember, it's just a meaningless dunkathon, I'm sure his teamates will appreciate him saving his energy for their game.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Oh and I normally hate when everyone here compares our PG recruits, including Adams, to our past greats. In fact I've called people out on these comparisons numerous times. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't see a stronger Boatright in Gilbert. The athletisism, defense, height, handle, and passion he plays with is the spitting image of him. We got ourselves a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom