All-Time Big East Team | The Boneyard

All-Time Big East Team

Reaction Score
Who would be on your starting 5 from the old and current Big East?
Mine is:
PG - Kemba Walker, UConn
SG- Allen Iverson, Georgetown
SF- Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse
PF- Alonzo Mourning, Georgetown
C- Patrick Ewing, Georgetown

I also considered Ray Allen, Sleepy Floyd, Chris Mullin, Derrick Coleman, Donyell, Emeka and Rip.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Mine is:
PG - Kemba Walker, UConn

I also considered Ray Allen, Sleepy Floyd, Chris Mullin, Derrick Coleman, Donyell, Emeka and Rip.
Allen and Melo would fight over touches. Both need the ball every time down court. I think Ewing's a no-brainer in the middle, and like Kemba at the point. But he's a high shot rate point, as is Iverson. If I'm only filling 5 positions, I can't have both of them. I'd put Ray at the off guard spot. And like @uconndogs said, give me Mek over Zo. Now I've got three Huskies. So shoot me -- I'm a UConn fan.
As for the 3, I want no part of Melo on my team. Maybe it's my innate Orange-hatred, but as good as he was, I could never stand watching him play. I'm tempted to say Donyell, but that would make my team 4 Huskies and a Hoya. If I'm not going to do that, it must mean I can't take Caron or Rip as my SF, either. So right now, I'm stuck without a 3. All because I hate Melo and don't want to make it 4 pups.

Reaction Score
Strange as it sounds the five best players may not make up the best team.
For example I prefer a PG that is less showy but understands his primary job is making everyone better. Pearl was a great playground players but I’m not sure how well he actually runs a team. AI was more rounded but I don’t want my team built around a guard. I prefer powerWith the other four la guy who can get at least a dozen assists a game and shoot the three well enough to command a guard is a better choice.
Ewing is a lock and my goal would be to ensure that opponents couldn’t double him.
A four who could stretch it out helps Ewing. I can’t think of one however. But another beast ( Mourning/ Emeka ) who could score at will accomplishes the same thing.
Those three commanded double teams in college.
With the shooters we have at the 2 /3
Mullins, Caron, Ray , Sleepy, Rip, and a bunch more could shoot you into oblivion.
I’m looking to balance my power game with shooting from the 2/3 and great passing , vision , handle, with a decent shot from the 1

Reaction Score
Strange as it sounds the five best players may not make up the best team.
For example I prefer a PG that is less showy but understands his primary job is making everyone better. Pearl was a great playground players but I’m not sure how well he actually runs a team. AI was more rounded but I don’t want my team built around a guard. I prefer powerWith the other four la guy who can get at least a dozen assists a game and shoot the three well enough to command a guard is a better choice.
Ewing is a lock and my goal would be to ensure that opponents couldn’t double him.
A four who could stretch it out helps Ewing. I can’t think of one however. But another beast ( Mourning/ Emeka ) who could score at will accomplishes the same thing.
Those three commanded double teams in college.
With the shooters we have at the 2 /3
Mullins, Caron, Ray , Sleepy, Rip, and a bunch more could shoot you into oblivion.
I’m looking to balance my power game with shooting from the 2/3 and great passing , vision , handle, with a decent shot from the 1
With regard to your point guard stipulations, I think the answer is Brunson. Not flashy, but ran a team like a surgeon

Reaction Score
G/F Ray Allen
G Kemba Walker
G Ben Gordon
F Donyell Marshall
C Emeka Okafor
Coach: Jim Calhoun

Bench: Rip, Caron, Smitty, Rudy, the Dove, Boone, Bazz
Switch Caron and Ben and I think that team might be just as good if not better than the All Big East team. Seriously.

Reaction Score
Mine is:
PG - Kemba Walker, UConn

Mullin over melo for sure. I always feel bad the bazz is never considered with 2 rings in which he had a role in both. Also the fact that he is in the 10 of so many career stats at UConn but I totally get Kemba. Dude is just magical. Such a list of candidates from this league though. Dehere,Michael adams, pearl,Reggie Williams, dikembe, Troy Murphy and of course the most underrated big east player ever in Luke harangady

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
similar question asked at a bbq last year, of longtime UConn hoops fans where beer was on the menu. some say beer makes you loud. tru dat.
sounded like;
kemba, ray, chris mullin, derrick coleman, patrick ewing.
only Patrick elicited zero argument.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Switch Caron and Ben and I think that team might be just as good if not better than the All Big East team. Seriously.
Rip is better than Ben and Caron. Rip remains the most underrated legend here. He's arguably our best player ever and one of the best Big East players ever.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Rip is better than Ben and Caron. Rip remains the most underrated legend here. He's arguably our best player ever and one of the best Big East players ever.
There is a weird Rip erasure around here and it makes no sense since he was the best player on our best team

Reaction Score
similar question asked at a bbq last year, of longtime UConn hoops fans where beer was on the menu. some say beer makes you loud. tru dat.
sounded like;
kemba, ray, chris mullin, derrick coleman, patrick ewing.
only Patrick elicited zero argument.

I agree with that completely, that's my five, considering college play only and not their pro careers. And Pat is the only unassailable choice.

pj

Reaction Score
Mine is:
PG - Kemba Walker, UConn

Mourning and Ewing Dikembe Mutumbo played alongside each other in college and they undercut each other's effectiveness. I think you have to go with someone with more versatility in the PF spot, keep Mourning for backup center. Even a Cliff Robinson might improve that team in place of Mourning.

If this is just the 5 best players, you might include Mourning. If you're trying to create the best team, I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with that completely, that's my five, considering college play only and not their pro careers. And Pat is the only unassailable choice.
If it's college play only how does Ray make it over Rip?

Reaction Score
Mourning and Ewing played alongside each other in college and they undercut each other's effectiveness. I think you have to go with someone with more versatility in the PF spot, keep Mourning for backup center. Even a Cliff Robinson might improve that team in place of Mourning.
Ewing and Mourning didn't play together. Ewing is 8 years older than Mourning.

pj

Reaction Score
Ewing and Mourning didn't play together. Ewing is 8 years older than Mourning.

Sorry, I meant Mourning and Dikembe Mutumbo undercut each other, so Mourning wasn't at his best as a PF. I've updated the post.

Reaction Score
PG -Allen Iverson
SG -Ray Allen
SF -Kerry Kittles
PF -Charles Smith
C -Pat Ewing

Second Team

PG -Kemba Walker
SG -Chris Mullen
SF -Carmelo Anthony
PF -Derrick Coleman
C -Alonzo Mourning

Reaction Score
Sorry, I meant Mourning and Dikembe Mutumbo undercut each other, so Mourning wasn't at his best as a PF. I've updated the post.
True but Mourning was still beastly, his senior year he averaged 21 pts, 11 rebs, 5 blocks on 60% shooting.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
PG -Allen Iverson
SG -Ray Allen
SF -Kerry Kittles
PF -Charles Smith
C -Pat Ewing

Second Team

PG -Kemba Walker
SG -Chris Mullen
SF -Carmelo Anthony
PF -Derrick Coleman
C -Alonzo Mourning
Kittles over Rip and Rip not on either team is laughable.

Reaction Score
Put him at small forward or shooting guard but Mullin should be on everyone's team, he's a 3 time Big East player of the year.

Reaction Score
Mullin, Ewing, Coleman, Allen, and Iverson first 5. Then from there, the list is just too long. Pearl, Kittles, Dehere, Baros, Jackson, Mutumbo, Hamilton, Donyell, S. Douglas, it could go on for quite awhile.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
No love for Point Forward extraordinaire Billy Owens?

Reaction Score
Mourning and Ewing Dikembe Mutumbo played alongside each other in college and they undercut each other's effectiveness. I think you have to go with someone with more versatility in the PF spot, keep Mourning for backup center. Even a Cliff Robinson might improve that team in place of Mourning.

If this is just the 5 best players, you might include Mourning. If you're trying to create the best team, I don't think so.
Cliff could actually play either a stretch 4 ,power 4, or a little 5,
His versatility kept him in the NBA
and won him 6th man awards
But best at anyone is a reach

pj

Reaction Score
Cliff could actually play either a stretch 4 ,power 4, or a little 5,
His versatility kept him in the NBA
and won him 6th man awards
But best at anyone is a reach

Teams really benefit from that versatility. Allows them to throw different looks at the opponent. Generally teams are much better against one style of opponent than another, so versatile teams are most likely to go far.

Reaction Score
Donyell Marshall ? Nearly led us to our 1st final four, a double/double machine. Yes, I am taking the 2 missed FT's into account.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom