All the objectives are still on the table | The Boneyard

All the objectives are still on the table

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Despite all the "pack it in and wait for next year" rumblings, all our legitimate season goals are still on the table and very much achievable. Conference regular season and tournament 'ships? Not the slam dunk of most years but I'd say we're favored for both. Final four run? Assuming we go in as the tenth ranked team, we'd have to beat at worst, 2 higher-ranked teams and that's assuming they stay healthy and avoid the upset (Louisville over Baylor anybody?). With Paige playing point and the development of Caroline and Azzi, I think we have better than a punchers chance. The final four, if we get there will probably be pretty challenging, but I'd rather see us playing the game and taking our shot than tanking the season for a better draft pick. Oh yeah, we don't get draft picks. The only semi-interesting argument I've seen is potentially risking a players health, but I trust the coaching staff, player, family and medical team to make a proper risk assessment and act accordingly. I have no doubt that players want to play. You could argue that going undefeated is a goal missed but as Geno has said in the past, that is never a realistic team goal. That's something for the fans who want to compare teams historically. Even with a natty, this won't be an all-time great UConn team but it could still be Geno and Chris's greatest coaching feat.

And, just for the record, insisting that you see the future correctly and anyone who sees it different is wrong, doesn't make you a realist. It makes you a pessimist (or an optimist if your own private future is rosy). It could also indicate borderline narcissism and/or high-level delusional at best. A realist might say something "is probably not going to happen", they wouldn't say it is "never going to happen".

Bummer about the Butler game.

Reaction Score
I don’t see it that way. If you look at the quality of players on this team at full strength, no one puts a more talented team on the floor than UCONN. If everyone is back for the Tourney, they should win it all. No excuses.

For me the sign of a good coaching job is when a coach gets his/her team to the point where the sum is greater than the parts.
To date, the high Quality of players on UCONN - even without Paige - haven’t come close to creating a better team. Teams like DePaul and Creighton have even seen a better coaching job so far this season. There is still time but if the vote was today, Geno isn’t even a consideration.

Let the “dislikes” begin.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That's a fair take. For me, the S. Carolina game is the base line from which we will have to be considerably improved. Admittedly, that was without Azzi and before Caroline levelled up but it's probably as close as we've been to full strength. My 'best coaching job' comment was predicated on the big IF of winning the natty; holding the team together through all of the adversity they've seen would be a factor IMO.

Reaction Score
I don’t see it that way. If you look at the quality of players on this team at full strength, no one puts a more talented team on the floor than UCONN. If everyone is back for the Tourney, they should win it all. No excuses.

For me the sign of a good coaching job is when a coach gets his/her team to the point where the sum is greater than the parts.
To date, the high Quality of players on UCONN - even without Paige - haven’t come close to creating a better team. Teams like DePaul and Creighton have even seen a better coaching job so far this season. There is still time but if the vote was today, Geno isn’t even a consideration.

I though that Geno’s ‘illness’ the other night may have been a message to the team.
You’re not listening to me?
Figure it out for yourselves.
1st quarter stutter step.
Outscores opponent 63-34 the rest of the way.
It was a substandard opponent but maybe something “clicked”?
I was anxious to see if it would follow through in tonight’s game.
Chris handled the team masterfully.
Maybe Geno can fly in the same dish he had on Wednesday (HaHaHa?) and have Chris handle the team on Sunday.
If Dorka is ready and the team learn to move the ball so Azzi gets her shots Sunday may be ‘a Great Leap Forward”.

Reaction Score

Sorry. Take issue with the conclusion that we are the most talented team. I think South Carolina and Stanford might want to debate that.

Reaction Score
With Paige playing point and the development of Caroline and Azzi, I think we have better than a punchers chance. The final four, if we get there will probably be pretty challenging, but I'd rather see us playing the game and taking our shot than tanking the season for a better draft pick.
Time is the issue. What a travesty this year this team didn't have a "normal" chance to grow.

If Paige and Azzi get sufficient time and then along with everyone else if/is/ healthy, this team is at least as good as last year.

I don’t know for sure yet but as I think you alluded to and others on another thread, Azzi seems to have excellent court vision and patience with the ball in her hands. And we know Paige's vison is off the charts.

This would make our offense into an extremely dangerous one. Far superior to last year if this were the case.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The problem continues to be, the unknowns.
Our guards are not particularly fleet of foot...
so really quick teams will be a problem.

3-point shooting could turn into a plus if Paige returns...if...
Olivia has been coming around and Dorka makes a big difference (is she ok?)

That Caroline has gotten so much experience is a plus, Christyn is doing well.
E showed signs of coming back to life...

Yeah, there's a punchers chance if it all comes together...
That's a lot to come together.

I suppose a statistical analyst could give us a % Natty possibility
And its paucity might shock many.

Reaction Score
They should debate that.
Disconnect occurs during transition from a top 20 National High School rating vs ability exhibited on an NCAA D-1 hardcourt.
I want to see UCONN front court handle Boston and Brink in successive games.
One way or another, that’s what it will come down to.
(If it gets that far)

Reaction Score
The problem continues to be, the unknowns.
Our guards are not particularly fleet of foot...
so really quick teams will be a problem.

3-point shooting could turn into a plus if Paige returns...if...
Olivia has been coming around and Dorka makes a big difference (is she ok?)

That Caroline has gotten so much experience is a plus, Christyn is doing well.
E showed signs of coming back to life...

Yeah, there's a punchers chance if it all comes together...
That's a lot to come together.

I suppose a statistical analyst could give us a % Natty possibility
And its paucity might shock many.
Perfect analogy-“puncher’s chance”.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
We won't be favorites going into the tournament, no matter how we finish... I kind of like that.
Agreed. I like it too. As GA said no pressure, they are underdogs, everyone expects them to lose. Honestly all the prognostications aside we just need to get in and win and I think they have a good chance. Unpopular as this may be I think Geno's been doing his best job with the situation...I don't see talent being the issue just continuity, disruptions, just plain havoc reigning down on this team. IMHO he's been having to make a lot adjustments on the fly with a lot of unknowns. He literally doesn't have a playbook for any of this..no one does. Yes other teams have experienced injuries, but not like this avalanche and the other 'wrenches' in the works..its just been a very trying and weird season...but they're going to get better, it's going to get better, which is the type of momentum we want as they head into post season. Just my take.

Reaction Score
There are several unknowns. One, and I think the biggest one, is going to be Paige's physical condition, her endurance, her timing and her melding with this "new" team. It's not
an immediate given despite her greatness. It was a serious injury after all and any surgery has its own set of new obstacles to overcome.

Two, are the seniors really hearing the midnight bell sounding? Was the Creighton game just a game or a manifestation of leadership and determination and above all else, guts, the kind needed to win close, tough games. Third, can we purposefully get the ball to the right people in the right positions to score when we need it in the Big Dance? There are so many scoring options once Paige comes back that passing to the open or better positioned player becomes a lot less difficult.

Fourth, how do CD and AZZi play in the Big Dance? Like freshmen or like CD and Azzi? Finally, will the defense be like it was in the first quarter against Creighton or the third quarter? My take on all of this? Things finally break our way. We have had so much adversity that we were forced to overcome already, that we have become a lot more tougher mentally than before and with Paige back, the team makes a quantum leap in talent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We have one objective: WIN in Minnesota! It "ain't over
till it's over" (YOGI)
An apt quote that Yogi Berra made in 1973 when he was managing the Mets. The team suffered a number of key injuries (sound familiar), falling to last place in the NL, 12 games under .500 in August. In their last 44 games the Mets got healthy and went on a tear, winning the pennant by a game over the Cardinals.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom