All Star Voting | The Boneyard

All Star Voting

Reaction Score
Bizarre to think that A’ja Wilson might not be the leading vote Wilson, Clark top early voting for WNBA All-Stars
Not so much when you consider people choosing not to vote for Olympians since they’re already playing in the ASG. I was a bit surprised to see her still at the top of the count. I’ve voted twice. My first I didn’t vote for Olympians, but after seeing the vote count earlier today, I went ahead and voted for A’ja.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fan voting is mostly a popularity contest. I wouldn't be surprised if Caitlin gets the most.

I agree that the Olympians may lose votes because of the format. They are in already.

Reaction Score
That's going to be a pretty young all-star team if the fan vote is a good predictor...Clark, Boston, and Reece?!

Reaction Score
Not so much when you consider people choosing not to vote for Olympians since they’re already playing in the ASG. I was a bit surprised to see her still at the top of the count. I’ve voted twice. My first I didn’t vote for Olympians, but after seeing the vote count earlier today, I went ahead and voted for A’ja.
My strategy as well.

Reaction Score
That's going to be a pretty young all-star team if the fan vote is a good predictor...Clark, Boston, and Reece?!
It'll be interesting to see who the current WNBA players (who get 25%) choose compared to the fans and also who the sports writers/broadcasters select compared to the players and fans.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN has written about players who were snubbed. I have one to add to the list. There is one player who leads Boston in both rebounds per game and points per game. That player is second in career rebounds and could be first by the end of the season; she is also fourth in career scoring, will be third next week, and should be second by the end of the season. Tina Charles is also a 3-time Olympic Gold Medalist and 3-time World Champion.

Reaction Score
Any Fever fans who can explain how Mitchell was voted to All Stars? She seems like an incredibly hot and cold player.

Reaction Score
Carrington and Carter should’ve made the team, but ultimately their “less than friendly” CC altercations rubbed the popular vote the wrong way. Which is too bad, I’d have taken them instead of some others.

Ezi Macbegor was also really robbed, best shot blocker in the W, and was getting consistent double doubles for a bit. Vital player for the Storm.

Reaction Score
ESPN has written about players who were snubbed. I have one to add to the list. There is one player who leads Boston in both rebounds per game and points per game. That player is second in career rebounds and could be first by the end of the season; she is also fourth in career scoring, will be third next week, and should be second by the end of the season. Tina Charles is also a 3-time Olympic Gold Medalist and 3-time World Champion.
Any Fever fans who can explain how Mitchell was voted to All Stars? She seems like an incredibly hot and cold player.
I felt like Boston deserved it last year.

This year, she had a combination of votes from the Gamecock faithful and the Clarkistas who know little to nothing about the wnba but know her name because she is Clark’s teammate. ( some of the radical Clarkistas dislike Boston because she’s hasn’t been a physical“ enforcer” for Clark.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I felt like Boston deserved it last year.

This year, she had a combination of votes from the Gamecock faithful and the Clarkistas who know little to nothing about the wnba but know her name because she is Clark’s teammate. ( some of the radical Clarkistas dislike Boston because she’s hasn’t been a physical“ enforcer” for Clark.)

I think Indiana fans came out strong with the vote, as they do with attendance. I looked at Tina's stats to see whose they compared with. She is 23rd in scoring and 7th in rebounding. Partly because Tina took a year off, she is being overlooked. The rookies are getting a lot of attention. There is a very real possibility that Tina will retire at #2 in scoring and #1 in rebounding.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't necesarily think Mitchell is having an all star season; but she is the Fever's leading scorer and the 12th best scorer in the league (and when you take out everyone on Team USA, she's the 4th best scorer after Arike, Hamby, and Nneka). She's also one of the elite shooters in the league--the only player who has a better 3-pt percentage that takes more 3s per game is McBride. She doesn't do a ton else besides that though...

Reaction Score
All-Star voting, from the fan side of things, has always been about picking out the new shiny item. The fact that Caitlin is among the leading vote getters of the all-star voting should not surprise anyone.
Agreed, JelyBean, yet perhaps also factoring in might be that Caitlin is one of the best players?

Reaction Score
Agreed, JelyBean, yet perhaps also factoring in might be that Caitlin is one of the best players?
She definitely excels in a few areas above the majority of the WNBA....assists and 3-pointers. She third in the league in assists and sixth in 3 pointers made with a top 25 3 point percentage. When you factor out the Olympic roster she is pretty much at or near the top in those categories. Obviously she has a pretty high turnover rate but that's on the downtrend.

Reaction Score
Oh, I totally agree. Caitlin is among the WNBA's best players and one of the many other factors that played apart in her being among the leading vote getters of the all-star game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As noted earlier in the thread, but I just have to weigh in - given the format, wouldn't it have been easier if they just didn't include the national team in the voting.

I get an obvious downside, being as some players probably have incentives in their contract for playing in the all star game, but in the end the reason I didn't vote was because I wanted to vote for many on the national team - who are, of course, actually pretty much all all-stars - which I felt diminished my vote for the players I actually wanted to see play against them.

Sadly, the game actually occurs during our upcoming Chicago trip, so not sure I will see it. Would have been a nice preview to see the national team together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom