All she does is win | The Boneyard

All she does is win

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
storm-trophy-780x555.jpg

She has a pretty good playmate ( and I don't mean Mercedes Russell)

“She’s winner, what can I say,” Auriemma said, smiling broadly as Breanna Stewart strolled around EagleBank Arena after the Storm’s 98-82 win holding the WNBA trophy and the Finals MVP award.

“I’ve seen that before,” Auriemma added."

Geno Auriemma watches what he saw often at UConn: Breanna Stewart end up as a champion

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m thinking Sue is going to need a much bigger house to display all the trophies and hardware she’s collected through her career, and if Sue & Megan ever decide to tie the knot, they’ll need a barn to accommodate everything.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Waaay back: I saw Sue win her two state high school titles in Glens Falls.
When she was a senior...and had already committed to UConn I barely saw anyone else on the court...with national flag blue bias I only had eyes for Suzanne [!].
IMO: she was more a shooting guard for that team though she did certainly play a bit as point too.
CTK was really pushed by Corcoran High [Syracuse]....to the end. We know how good a free throw shooter Sue was but near the end I recall that she bricked 3 in a row [maybe it was just 2]...that helped Corcoran stay close.

I don't recall her name but Corcoran had a guard who played really well...I think she went to Georgia....just for that one game she probably outplayed our girl by a bit.

Exhibiting usual wisdom [NOT] I thought Sue would be a solid point guard for UConn...maybe a bit more. Now....in the discussion for the best point ever....with Dawn and Nancy Lieberman?

I heard Rebecca this morning on sports talk radio....she said that she thought Sue would be around for the Tokyo Olympics...and that Stewie might wind up when all is done as UConn's best ever.
[Thought that claim as of now rests with Dee]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The ESPN sports center anchor had an interesting take on the game and Stewie: " She might as well start writing her HoF induction speech right now!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Bird and the rest of the team, but I think this leaves no doubt that Breanna Stewart will go down as the greatest female player to play the game when she’s done.

Sue was quoted in a Deadspin ? article the other day as saying Stewie is a once in a generation player and she certainly is in a position to speak with authority. Then there is this:

"But to me, you know, stuff like that — that’s the next level for Stewie, coming up, and it’s the level that separates even the MVPs. Like, there’s the MVP Level….. and then there’s the Diana Level, you know what I mean? And not to say that Stewie’s on Diana’s Level yet, a lot of years go into that — but she has that potential. And stuff like this, that’s the sort of stuff you see from the all-time greats: Just like, when a great player can not only be great within themselves, and have great performances, but when they can also tap into their teammates with that greatness?? That’s the true end game in this sport, to me." So I Broke My ducking Nose | Sue Bird

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oh, memory gap. Lottery quote from Sue is in the same Player's Trib article and worth repeating:

The clincher for her staying and playing it out in Seattle was Stewie coming along:

"I haven’t really said as much, publicly, because it was never actually that simple, and never only about this one thing…. but at the same time, it’s like — what’s the difference between “only” and “mostly,” when it comes to a big life decision like this? So I’m never quite sure how to phrase it. But I’ll say it anyway: We won the lottery.

We got Breanna.

And at this point, I don’t mind saying it at all. In fact, I’m proud to, because she deserves it: One moment, we were just another rebuilding team. And then the next moment, we were the team with Breanna Stewart on it. I mean, even to call it the “lottery” — that’s underselling it, right? Because the lottery is annual. Once every year, for sure, there’s a No. 1 pick. But what happened to us, with Stewie? I’d say it’s more like once every generation or so, that there’s a prospect of her caliber. There’s a LeBron James, or a Tim Duncan, you know? That was Breanna.

We won — so I stayed.

And now we’re back."

She has a way with words, does she not?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2, thanks for all the quotes. Sue really has way with words!!! And most of what she said or wrote reflected a real feeling and emotion, never a canned and artificial answer.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2, thanks for all the quotes. Sue really has way with words!!! And most of what she said or wrote reflected a real feeling and emotion, never a canned and artificial answer.

Couldn't agree more. With Sue its straight shooting all the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom