All American Predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All American Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IF UConn wins #11 NC, I will see Stewie, Moriah in 1st, Tuck in 2nd, Nurse in 3rd,
And KLS honorable Mentioned.
Voting is done before the tournament.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think every year is tough.
bballnut - 2013 teams - Griner and Sims were both 1st team WBCA, KML and Dolson were both 1st team, Diggins and McBride - so I don't think those players 'stood alone' even on their own teams.

There are always teams like ND and Uconn where stats tend to be pretty evenly distributed amongst the starters and the top of the bench, and then their are teams where a single player dominates like EDD, or this year Banham. The question for voters becomes where does team success fit in to the picture, and how do you balance a great individual statistic with a breadth of good statistics and great team play. And how do you measure the unmeasurable parts of the game both on offense and defense.

It is interesting - the P5 players of the year:
Hines-Allen
Banham
Weisner
Martin
Wilson
And I left three off my 8 player team with only two places left.

Perhaps of note - the ACC does two sets of all-conference honors. The "blue ribbon" media panel chose Hines-Allen as player of the year. The coaches chose Turner as player of the year. So I guess they are something like co-ACC POYs?

Reaction Score
The Big 10 also have two sets of honors. Last year Amanda Zahui B. won Big 10 player of the year by the media and Kelsey Mitchell was voted winner by the coaches. Rachel Banham was the winner in both sets this year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can absolutely put Tuck on the first team- in good conscience. She has been the catalyst of the Connecticut record run of victories (challenging the second longest, and only third longest by a smidgen), and she is the third leading scorer on the best team in the nation. She should have been an All American last year, and should be a can't-miss this year. Can you imagine UConn without her?

No way she can be left off the first team. No way!
Well unfortunately, you're gonna be wrong. Tuck will not be on the 5 man 1st team (AP). She may, may make the 10 man AA's though.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nina Davis once again performed like an AA against Texas yesterday, leading Baylor with 22 points. She is averaging 19 points a game in games against ranked opponents this season, of which there have now been 11.

Baylor has three legit AA candidates in Davis, Jones and Johnson. Jones is playing as well right now as anyone in the country, following up her 11 assist game in the semis with 16 points, 8 assists, 3 rebounds and 3 steals against Texas, not to mention here defense pressure on the Texas guards. Niya Johnson's numbers don't even start to capture all that she does for Baylor and she won't make many AA teams because not enough people get to see entire games and don't see all of the little things that she does, but she is about as good a PG as I have seen in a long time.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IF UConn wins #11 NC, I will see Stewie, Moriah in 1st, Tuck in 2nd, Nurse in 3rd,
And KLS honorable Mentioned.

KLS is good but probably another year away from making any AA teams. But if it weren't for the rest of the team being so deserving she probably would.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put Wilson on the 1st team. Her numbers have been good but not great. I think it's a bit unfair that the "hype" of Wilson puts her on lists ahead of Banham and Plum.

I'd actually put Stewie, Moriah, Banham, Plum and Kelsey Mitchell on the 1st team.

On the 2nd team I'd put Ariel Powers, Courtney Williams, Walker Kimbrough and Jillian Alleyne.

If there was a 3rd team, I'd have to choose from Turner, Wilson, Tuck, Anigwe (Cal), Martin (Oklahoma State), Coffey (NW), Alston (Ohio State), Alleyne (Oregon State), and Stevens (Duke). I actually think you could make an argument that Anigwe belongs at least on the 2nd team, based on the season she just had.

The reason I did it that way is I believe you really do have to reward players who shoulder the majority of the scoring load for their teams. I know Wilson is the "sexy" choices in that their names are very familiar to those in WCBB circles, but frankly, they didn't to as much for their teams as the other players I put ahead of them.

Having said that I agree there's no way Wilson is left off the 2nd team at the very least, but 15.6 PPG and 8.7 RPG pales in comparison to what others I listed ahead of her did this year. IMHO I think it's unfair that the "hype" of her gets her on many people's list of 1st team AA's when you compare her stats and accomplishments against players like Banham, Plum, Powers, Williams, Walker-Kimbrough and Alleyne.

More than in other years, I'm partial to players on the top 4 teams because all 4 have really separated themselves from the rest of the pack unlike any top teams ever have. Outside of head to head competition, the top 4 teams are 125-1. No one on any of the teams has really gaudy numbers outside of Stewart, but I think all of them have players deserving of recognition, and in most cases, I'd put their top players on a team over the likes of a player from a tournament bubble team who has huge numbers. A player like Anigwe has had an amazing season and is a great talent, but her team is awful and I wouldn't put her on a team over any of the top 4 teams' 3 best players.

In regards to Wilson--she is averaging 16.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 54.4% FG, and 3.2 blocks. Not quite 20ppg+, but really outstanding numbers nonetheless. More than stats, her ability to play big in big games is what stands out to me. Look at numbers from her biggest games this year:
Ohio State-20 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks
UCLA-11 points, 10 rebounds, 4 blocks
@ Kentucky-26 points, 13 rebounds, 8 blocks
vs A&M-26 points, 8 rebounds, 8 blocks
Mississippi State-6 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks
@ A&M-27 points, 10 rebounds, 4 blocks
vs. Kentucky-18 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
vs. UCONN-13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks (missed 14 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarter due to injury..she was the only SC player who could score in the first half)
vs Kentucky-18 points, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks
vs Mississippi State-19 points, 13 bounds, 2 blocks

Outside of the first Mississippi State game and the UCLA game (where she still had a solid statline), she elevated her play in the biggest games of the season. She also had 25 points and 5 blocks against Tennessee, who isn't a top team this year, but it's still a big game worth noting.

I think Wilson is more deserving compared to a playerslike Jillian Alleyne and Kelsey Plum. Alleyne has huge scoring/rebound numbers but didn't put up Wilsonesque numbers in big games. Plum has gaudy scoring numbers but is an inefficient scorer (41% Fg, 35% 3pt, 4.3 turnovers per game and negative A/TO ratio). Her shooting percentages also dip against better competition.

Last year I thought Wilson primarily made a team due to hype, but this year she is markedly improved and has really established herself as one of the very best players in the nation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put Wilson on the 1st team. Her numbers have been good but not great. I think it's a bit unfair that the "hype" of Wilson puts her on lists ahead of Banham and Plum.

I'd actually put Stewie, Moriah, Banham, Plum and Kelsey Mitchell on the 1st team.

On the 2nd team I'd put Ariel Powers, Courtney Williams, Walker Kimbrough and Jillian Alleyne.

If there was a 3rd team, I'd have to choose from Turner, Wilson, Tuck, Anigwe (Cal), Martin (Oklahoma State), Coffey (NW), Alston (Ohio State), Alleyne (Oregon State), and Stevens (Duke). I actually think you could make an argument that Anigwe belongs at least on the 2nd team, based on the season she just had.

The reason I did it that way is I believe you really do have to reward players who shoulder the majority of the scoring load for their teams. I know Wilson is the "sexy" choices in that their names are very familiar to those in WCBB circles, but frankly, they didn't to as much for their teams as the other players I put ahead of them.

Having said that I agree there's no way Wilson is left off the 2nd team at the very least, but 15.6 PPG and 8.7 RPG pales in comparison to what others I listed ahead of her did this year. IMHO I think it's unfair that the "hype" of her gets her on many people's list of 1st team AA's when you compare her stats and accomplishments against players like Banham, Plum, Powers, Williams, Walker-Kimbrough and Alleyne.

You have only 4 players on your 2nd team ;)

I like about 95% of your selections, but I must say I'm convinced by bballnut's argument: Wilson has truly ascended this year. The main reason why Tiffany Mitchell seems to have slightly dipped is because Wilson has rightfully assumed her spot as SC's primary go-to player.

I think with so many great players, we need about 6 teams instead of 3:
  • 1st Team: Stewart, Jefferson, Banham, Wilson, K. Mitchell
  • 2nd Team: Plum, Powers, Williams, Walker-Kimbrough, Alleyne
  • 3rd Team: T. Mitchell, Martin, Hines-Allen, Turner, Johnson
  • 4th Team: Jonquel Jones (GW), Tuck, Stevens, Alexis Jones, Anigwe
  • 5th Team: Shareesha Richards (Albany), Weisner, Vivians, Canada, Davis
  • 6th Team: Kelsey Minato (Army), Hamblin, Buss, Cable, Coffey
I did assess penalties for significant time (multiple weeks) missed. Brianna Turner, Jonquel Jones, Azurá Stevens, and Jamie Weisner could have easily placed higher sans injury.

It was tough to leave out Ameryst Alston. Debated between her, Coffey and Buss on the 6th team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I like about 95% of your selections, but I must say I'm convinced by bballnut's argument: Wilson has truly ascended this year. The main reason why Tiffany Mitchell seems to have slightly dipped is because Wilson has rightfully assumed her spot as SC's primary go-to player.

I did assess penalties for significant time (multiple weeks) missed. Brianna Turner, Jonquel Jones, Azurá Stevens, and Jamie Weisner could have easily placed higher sans injury.

It was tough to leave out Ameryst Alston. Debated between her, Coffey and Buss on the 6th team.

Another thing about Wilson... she realized early in the season that she had to be the go to scoring option this season. That's A LOT of pressure for a sophomore, even one as talented as Wilson. Tiff Mitchell's injury contributed to the rise of Wilson as well. Mitchell could've put up big 1st team AA numbers this year but it took her longer than expected to physically and mentally (mostly mentally) get back to herself. Mitchell had good games here and there but she hasn't really looked like her old self until the SEC tournament really.. Her swagger was missing.

Coates was solid, Mitchell was up and down (mostly down) but anybody that's watched our games knows that Wilson carried SC for about 3/4 of the season as Mitchell struggled to find her groove.

Reaction Score

No love for Brionna Jones? She is leading the nation in FG% and had the monster game against UConn earlier this year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
No love for Brionna Jones? She is leading the nation in FG% and had the monster game against UConn earlier this year.

She has been outstanding, but I think you have to go with SWK over her and it's hard to validate Maryland getting two of the top 15 over the likes of Baylor, ND and South Carolina who have all had better seasons.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Ugh. I knew I was forgetting someone. Back to the drawing board.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ugh. I knew I was forgetting someone. Back to the drawing board.
And while you are at it. Morgan Tuck is easily top 3-5 player in WCBB. You want "some" instant credibility make sure she doesn't fall below top 10. Right now where you have her is entirely unacceptable!

Plebe

Reaction Score

Ugh. I knew I was forgetting someone. Redo:
  • 3rd Team: T. Mitchell, Martin, Hines-Allen, Turner, Brionna Jones
  • 4th Team: Jonquel Jones (GW), Tuck, Stevens, Johnson, Anigwe
  • 5th Team: Shareesha Richards (Albany), Weisner, Vivians, Alexis Jones, Davis
  • 6th Team: Kelsey Minato (Army), Hamblin, Canada, Cable, Coffey
Put Brionna on 3rd team, dropped Niya from 3rd to 4th, Alexis from 4th to 5th, and Canada from 5th to 6th. Buss got dropped from 6th. She's just a sophomore so she'll have more chances.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ugh. I knew I was forgetting someone. Redo:
  • 3rd Team: T. Mitchell, Martin, Hines-Allen, Turner, Brionna Jones
  • 4th Team: Jonquel Jones (GW), Tuck, Stevens, Johnson, Anigwe
  • 5th Team: Shareesha Richards (Albany), Weisner, Vivians, Alexis Jones, Davis
  • 6th Team: Kelsey Minato (Army), Hamblin, Canada, Cable, Coffey
Put Brionna on 3rd team, dropped Niya from 3rd to 4th, Alexis from 4th to 5th, and Canada from 5th to 6th. Buss got dropped from 6th. She's just a sophomore so she'll have more chances.
Still very very ugly! Are you serious? Hines-Allen> Tuck?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Still very very ugly! Are you serious? Hines-Allen> Tuck?

She has better numbers across the board, has been consistently very good and Louisville has outperformed expectations entering this season. I'd take her over Tuck and think she could be in contention for 2nd team.

Reaction Score
Here's my first team.....

Moriah Jefferson
Courtney Williams USF
Breanna Stewart
Morgan Tuck
Nina Davis

Go AAC! :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She has better numbers across the board, has been consistently very good and Louisville has outperformed expectations entering this season. I'd take her over Tuck and think she could be in contention for 2nd team.
LOL! Jeff Walz would NOT take her over Tuck!

Reaction Score
Below are my picks for the All-American teams. I don't think that this list will 100% match up with who will actually be voted on the teams, but thought I'd share...

Alexis Jones, Jr, Baylor-
Lindsey Allen, Jr, Notre Dame-

Great commentary especially in regards to Alexis Jones and Lindsey Allen. I finally saw Jones play at Baylor during the conference finals. All can say was "Wow!" She was incredibly impressive and a do-it-all guard. As for Allen, she seems to be the "heart & soul" of the team who sacrifices her number for team success. As you noted, they will both need to step up more in the Tournament to get to the Final 4. It should be fun to watch.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can absolutely put Tuck on the first team- in good conscience. She has been the catalyst of the Connecticut record run of victories (challenging the second longest, and only third longest by a smidgen), and she is the third leading scorer on the best team in the nation. She should have been an All American last year, and should be a can't-miss this year. Can you imagine UConn without her?

No way she can be left off the first team. No way!

I nomally don't rethink a post once I've pressed send. I did on this one. After further review, I could very easily make a case for Tuck to be a 1st team AA. She deserves to be a 1st team AA, and here's why: First, don't look at scoring averages. They can be very misleading. Scoring a lot of points does not in and of it's self deserve to be the sole determining factor or the only determination of what qualifies a player to be an AA.

Tuck deserves to be an AA the same way that Jefferson does. Mo does not score a lot of points for a reason, but the general consensus across WCBB is that she is the best guard in the country, and deserves that accolade. The one commonality y for all of the first team candidates is that they all scorers. Most of those players are the best players on their respective teams.

The carry the burden of being 20-35% of their teams offense. Morgan scores her share of points, but she does not have to score the bulk of the points because UConn has 4 other starters that can/do. Morgan is an integral part of the husky starting five.

There's nothing Morgan cannot do on either end of the court. Plus, she is the team's leader on the floor and off. She is the mother hen of the team (Dolson passed the baton to her upon leaving). When you look at Tuck's overall body of work this year, and how much she contributes to the team's success every game, there's no doubt that she has already put in the work to be voted, and recognized as a 1st team ALL-American. I'd put her body of work up against any other candidate for 1st team honors.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't know how often Naismith semi-finalists end up being the 1st & 2nd team All-Americans, but I could definitely see that happening this year. The semifinalists are Banham, N. Davis, Jefferson, K. Mitchell, T. Mitchell, Plum, Stewart, Turner, Walker-Kimbrough, Wilson

I'd break them into teams like this:

1st - Banham, Jefferson, K. Mitchell, Stewart, Wilson
2nd - Davis, T. Mitchell, Plum, Turner, Walker-Kimbrough

It even works out to 3 guards and 2 forwards on each team.

Personally, I'd throw Tuck onto the second team (probably in place of T. Mitchell).

Reaction Score
She has been outstanding, but I think you have to go with SWK over her and it's hard to validate Maryland getting two of the top 15 over the likes of Baylor, ND and South Carolina who have all had better seasons.
SWK gets all the hype and deservedly so, but most Maryland fans who have watched all their games know Brionna Jones is more important to the team. Whenever Maryland needs a basket, they always run a play for Jones down low. Always. But I agree SWK will get 2nd team All American and Brionna Jones will get Honorable Mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom