All 5 UCONN Starters Invited to the Combine | Page 4 | The Boneyard

All 5 UCONN Starters Invited to the Combine

Reaction Score
As of halftime of Iona, we had lost to mediocre teams in back2back years. We were in danger of losing again because Hurley was being out coached by Pitino. If we had lost to Iona, this entire board would have been calling for Hurley’s head. This is 100 percent factual.

And if my mother had wheels she'd be a bike.

Reaction Score
Side note, it’s kinda weird to see guys at the combine like Kalkbrenner who have already announced they are coming back.
I agree, although, I still think at the end of the day that Karaban returns unless he is told he is a guarantee lock 1st round pick. He can make a good amount of NIL money and stay at UCONN and to continue to develop. Then again, I'm old school and I believe in staying in college as long as you can unless you are a sure fire lottery/1st round pick.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Except that AJ Price was suspended because of that. It was what it was. You can not just magically add him to the team or that season as it actually played out. Yes, I agree that if AJ Price had been playing we probably would have won because the lack of back up talent at that position was the missing ingredient. But that is not the reality of how everything happened.

Florida also won the title game by 16 over UCLA. They were playing a lot better as a team than we were. I still do not understand why this is so hard for people to understand and admit. And in the long run, I do not care if they would have beaten us by a few, or by more than a few. They were better than us. It was obvious if you watched their games versus ours. They went on a dominant run, just as we have the last two years. Their back court would have out played ours and that would have been the difference.

If we had AJ Price in the backcourt along with Williams, then heck ya I agree with you that we would have beaten them, and everyone else for the title that year.
And if my aunt had different equipment she'd be my uncle...

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The current success of the Knicks Villanova players makes me nervous about AK staying in the draft. Might become a trend to take multiple, successful college teammates.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’ve got more basketball knowledge in my left nut than you or Superjohn combined. Don’t really care your opinion.
That’s an odd place to store basketball knowledge. Kinda Balsey

Reaction Score
NBA dates: combine May 12-19 and draft June 26-27. PSA for fellow Huskies' fans who typically pay next to zero attention to the NBA, and not much basketball other than UConn games and March Madness. Now, headed back to Stanley Cup playoffs.

Reaction Score
I hear you but you lost me at the “ Florida would have beaten us handily “ part. I just can’t do that part. We were done in by unlawful Pentium Processors that year and that’s it.
Hard to say, really. It is possible that playing the defending champs could have motivated our guys, but that's the only reason to think they would have won that matchup.

Reaction Score
The current success of the Knicks Villanova players makes me nervous about AK staying in the draft. Might become a trend to take multiple, successful college teammates.
None of those Nova guys are on their first contracts, they had to work their arses off for years to become starters.

Reaction Score
Let’s slow down a little bit. Brunson was a player of the year
Indeed. Love me some Cam Spencer, but he is never going to be in the top 5 in scoring in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Actually, I like and agree with your point. I wish we had gotten past George Mason. We just weren't good enough at that point to do so. There is no team that gets more overrated on this board than that 2006 team. It is fun to reminisce, and think about what could have been if AJ Price had been playing. With him, we would have had a potentially all-time great game against Florida, and certainly given them more of a challenge than they received from either George Mason or UCLA. But as things were... no. They would have beaten us in the backcourt... as we have done to others now 4 times in the last 13 years. Marcus Williams and Denham Brown would have most likely lost the matchup against Taurean Green, Lee Humphrey and Corey Brewer. We did not have an answer for Brewer in particular, and he was playing particularly great during that tournament. So were both Green and Humphrey. That would have been the difference.

That being said... yes, I would have loved to see the match up and how it would have played out on the court.
And its not like we don't have hindsight on our side at this point. Yeah, we had 4 guys go in the first round. Rudy Gay was the only one who ever did a thing in the NBA, so that factoid is a bit misleading, isn't it ?

Reaction Score
I agree, although, I still think at the end of the day that Karaban returns unless he is told he is a guarantee lock 1st round pick. He can make a good amount of NIL money and stay at UCONN and to continue to develop. Then again, I'm old school and I believe in staying in college as long as you can unless you are a sure fire lottery/1st round pick.
Have you seen Ajax’s contract? Alex isn’t coming back to college over that. If he’s low second he’s gone. Alex will at minimum stick, and likely play out his rookie contract, which could easily be 8mm plus with 2mm guaranteed as an early second rounder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom