OT: Alex Poythress tears ACL | The Boneyard

OT: Alex Poythress tears ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like his game. He's hung in there despite Cal's ever changing roster and I kind of commend him for that. Hope he recovers fully and gets back on the court soon!

Reaction Score
Its sad to see this to happen to any collegiate athlete, particularly one with a realistic shot at the association. Unfortunately, Poythress has been the poster child for what could go wrong for a highly ranked kid committing to Kentucky. He never really had enough burn to showcase his full ability. At another school, my guess is he would be getting paid late lottery money already.

Reaction Score
I was surprised he didn't hurt himself falling over Kronah last year. That news really sux because I like his ability. Great college athletic 4, reminded me a little of Sticks.

Reaction Score
Its sad to see this to happen to any collegiate athlete, particularly one with a realistic shot at the association. Unfortunately, Poythress has been the poster child for what could go wrong for a highly ranked kid committing to Kentucky. He never really had enough burn to showcase his full ability. At another school, my guess is he would be getting paid late lottery money already.
I disagree. No way he would be a lottery pick even at another school. He's a tweener. If he did make any NBA roster he would have to follow the Jeff Adrien blueprint. Still I feel real bad for the guy. He's probably probably played too many games to receive a medical redshirt right?

Reaction Score
I disagree. No way he would be a lottery pick even at another school. He's a tweener. If he did make any NBA roster he would have to follow the Jeff Adrien blueprint. Still I feel real bad for the guy. He's probably probably played too many games to receive a medical redshirt right?

Poythress is 2 inches taller than Adrien, and much more athletic. His vertical is 10 inches higher than Adrien's. He's not as good a college player as Adrien was, but he's a much better NBA prospect.

Reaction Score
Poythress is 2 inches taller than Adrien, and much more athletic. His vertical is 10 inches higher than Adrien's. He's not as good a college player as Adrien was, but he's a much better NBA prospect.
It's kind of funny reading those words, isn't it? So basically it doesn't matter what you produce in college. It's all about the physical attributes. There's something wrong with that.

Reaction Score
It's kind of funny reading those words, isn't it? So basically it doesn't matter what you produce in college. It's all about the physical attributes. There's something wrong with that.
But think about some players who do produce in college and do not in the NBA - Adam Morrison, Jimmer?

Reaction Score

It's just a different game where positions matter a whole lot more. Every team has a 6'8'' guy who can play SF, a 6'10'' guy who can play PF, etc. So if you're a 6'6'' PF like Adrien, you're at a huge disadvantage and it's a grind just to stick around. He deserves an awful lot of credit for doing just that.

Reaction Score
But think about some players who do produce in college and do not in the NBA - Adam Morrison, Jimmer?
It goes both ways. I'm sure I could come up with a list of players who didn't produce a great amount in college but who had great physical attributes who were drafted high and didn't produce in the pros. Actually that list would probably be mostly kids who came out after 1 year or right after high school (when that was allowed).

Reaction Score
It goes both ways. I'm sure I could come up with a list of players who didn't produce a great amount in college but who had great physical attributes who were drafted high and didn't produce in the pros. Actually that list would probably be mostly kids who came out after 1 year or right after high school (when that was allowed).

How many thought Jimmy Butler of Marquette would have as much of an impact on the NBA level as he has? Solid college player, numbers won't jump off the charts. He's good!

Reaction Score

Yes and no. Skills can be developed. You can't coach a guy taller or more athletic, generally speaking.

Reaction Score
Adrien will aggregate more minutes in the nba than poythress ever will. One is an excellent rebounder, the other has zero skill set. Adrian is actually bigger, his standing reach is like 5+ inches more. Jumping out the gym doesn't equal high nba potential, you have to be good at something on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
Adrien will aggregate more minutes in the nba than poythress ever will. One is an excellent rebounder, the other has zero skill set. Adrian is actually bigger, his standing reach is like 5+ inches more. Jumping out the gym doesn't equal high nba potential, you have to be good at something on the basketball court.

I tend to agree with this. Poythress may be considered to be a better NBA "prospect", but I think Adrien will produce more in the league than Poythress ever will.

Reaction Score

I think you're right. Poythress is probably not going to produce at the next level because he doesn't have a position. The Sticks comparison somebody made earlier in the thread is spot on.

As an aside, Poythress has gotten yanked around all three years at Kentucky. The first season he was obviously apart of the dysfunctional NIT team, the second year he lost a ton of minutes to Randle and James Young, and this season he was apart of that awful platoon system. Unfortunately he was never able to discover his identity as a killer college four. He would have been a beast on certain rosters. And, I think Cal is a much better coach than most, but Poythress was always badly mis-utilized. I feel bad for the kid, hopefully he can come back.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he recovers and gets to live out his dream. If not the NBA then simply professional basketball.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Damn that sucks. Hope his recovery goes smoothly. Regardless of where a kid goes to school or what his pro prospects are, this is never fun.

Reaction Score
Isn't it a lil early for a final four celebration?
Nah, not for dem down der.

While we were celebrating our 2014 Championship that night, their fans were celebrating the final four ....... 2015! I'm also surprised they didn't pull out FF 2015 Tee Shirts while we were strutting our 2014 Champions Tees.

Its so great to be a Husky fan!

Reaction Score
Nah, not for dem down der.

While we were celebrating our 2014 Championship that night, their fans were celebrating the final four .. 2015! I'm also surprised they didn't pull out FF 2015 Tee Shirts while we were strutting our 2014 Champions Tees.

Its so great to be a Husky fan!
I was alluding to how he nearly tore his ACL after they beat Wisconsin in the pile after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom